PC inserts characters into various fields and opens applications

Posted: 01-19-2009, 02:35 AM
Using XP Pro - After downloading SP3 and lasted security upgrade and recently
started using a Belkin wireless mouse my PC randomly inserts characters
wherever the cursor is. It also manages to open applications when idle. When
I return, I find multiple calculators open, Win Media Player, 'Search
Results', Adobe Photo Deluxe, Outlook (I never use Outlook - Outlook Express
is my mail handler). If I leave Google open it inserts random numbers &
letters into the search box!! If I log off it does the same to the login box
(but of course doesn't manage to log on). Today (for the first time) it
went into hibernation whilst I was getting to the Microsoft site to write
this!!! Using Trend Micro PCillin AV. Bloody PC has a mind of its own.
Anyone have any iseas? May be the mouse at fault?? thanks.

--
bags

PC inserts characters into various fields and opens applications


Responses to "PC inserts characters into various fields and opens applications"

Elmo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: PC inserts characters into various fields and opens applications
Posted: 01-19-2009, 04:44 AM
bags wrote:
> Using XP Pro - After downloading SP3 and latest security upgrade and recently
> started using a Belkin wireless mouse, my PC randomly inserts characters
> wherever the cursor is. It also manages to open applications when idle. When
> I return, I find multiple calculators open, Win Media Player, 'Search
> Results', Adobe Photo Deluxe, Outlook (I never use Outlook - Outlook Express
> is my mail handler). If I leave Google open it inserts random numbers &
> letters into the search box!! If I log off it does the same to the login box
> (but of course doesn't manage to log on). Today (for the first time) it
> went into hibernation whilst I was getting to the Microsoft site to write
> this!!! Using Trend Micro PCillin AV. Bloody PC has a mind of its own.
> Anyone have any ideas? Maybe the mouse at fault?? thanks.
Try changing the channel on the mouse. This is usually done by pressing
the button on the bottom of the sending unit and the mouse. They should
renegotiate and find another channel.

If this doesn't help, make sure no transformers, power packs, etc., are
near the sending unit; move it away from the monitor too. If the
problem goes away with a wired mouse, that makes it more likely that
stray signals are the cause. Is there a wireless keyboard too?

--
Joe =o)
PA Bear [MS MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: PC inserts characters into various fields and opens applications
Posted: 01-20-2009, 02:02 AM
1. Make certain that the mouse receiver isn't anywhere near anything
electrical (e.g., router; monitor; desklamp, especially).

2. If no joy, does the behavior persist with a wired mouse?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/


bags wrote:
> Using XP Pro - After downloading SP3 and lasted security upgrade and
> recently started using a Belkin wireless mouse my PC randomly inserts
> characters wherever the cursor is. It also manages to open applications
> when idle. When I return, I find multiple calculators open, Win Media
> Player, 'Search Results', Adobe Photo Deluxe, Outlook (I never use Outlook
> - Outlook Express is my mail handler). If I leave Google open it inserts
> random numbers & letters into the search box!! If I log off it does the
> same to the login box (but of course doesn't manage to log on). Today
> (for
> the first time) it went into hibernation whilst I was getting to the
> Microsoft site to write this!!! Using Trend Micro PCillin AV. Bloody PC
> has a mind of its own. Anyone have any iseas? May be the mouse at fault??
> thanks.
bags
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: PC inserts characters into various fields and opens applicatio
Posted: 01-20-2009, 06:55 AM
Thanks Joe - No wireless keyboard, only the mouse. Have reset it so will
evaluate it over the next day or so. Have also moved the sending unit as far
away from any other electrical device as posssible (but limited to 1.2metre
cord length). If no joy will plug in the old one or buy a new cordless.
Greatly appreciate your advice.
--
bags


"Elmo" wrote:
> bags wrote:
> > Using XP Pro - After downloading SP3 and latest security upgrade and recently
> > started using a Belkin wireless mouse, my PC randomly inserts characters
> > wherever the cursor is. It also manages to open applications when idle. When
> > I return, I find multiple calculators open, Win Media Player, 'Search
> > Results', Adobe Photo Deluxe, Outlook (I never use Outlook - Outlook Express
> > is my mail handler). If I leave Google open it inserts random numbers &
> > letters into the search box!! If I log off it does the same to the login box
> > (but of course doesn't manage to log on). Today (for the first time) it
> > went into hibernation whilst I was getting to the Microsoft site to write
> > this!!! Using Trend Micro PCillin AV. Bloody PC has a mind of its own.
> > Anyone have any ideas? Maybe the mouse at fault?? thanks.
>
> Try changing the channel on the mouse. This is usually done by pressing
> the button on the bottom of the sending unit and the mouse. They should
> renegotiate and find another channel.
>
> If this doesn't help, make sure no transformers, power packs, etc., are
> near the sending unit; move it away from the monitor too. If the
> problem goes away with a wired mouse, that makes it more likely that
> stray signals are the cause. Is there a wireless keyboard too?
>
> --
> Joe =o)
>
bags
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: PC inserts characters into various fields and opens applicatio
Posted: 01-20-2009, 06:58 AM
Thanks Robear - see also my reply to Elmo - have followed all suggestions so
we will 'suck it & see' as they say over the next 24 hrs. ! It's a pretty
old cordless mouse so may not have the shielding / smarts etc of a newer one
- may be time for upgrade. Very much appreciate your help.
--
bags


"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> 1. Make certain that the mouse receiver isn't anywhere near anything
> electrical (e.g., router; monitor; desklamp, especially).
>
> 2. If no joy, does the behavior persist with a wired mouse?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
>
> bags wrote:
> > Using XP Pro - After downloading SP3 and lasted security upgrade and
> > recently started using a Belkin wireless mouse my PC randomly inserts
> > characters wherever the cursor is. It also manages to open applications
> > when idle. When I return, I find multiple calculators open, Win Media
> > Player, 'Search Results', Adobe Photo Deluxe, Outlook (I never use Outlook
> > - Outlook Express is my mail handler). If I leave Google open it inserts
> > random numbers & letters into the search box!! If I log off it does the
> > same to the login box (but of course doesn't manage to log on). Today
> > (for
> > the first time) it went into hibernation whilst I was getting to the
> > Microsoft site to write this!!! Using Trend Micro PCillin AV. Bloody PC
> > has a mind of its own. Anyone have any iseas? May be the mouse at fault??
> > thanks.
>
>
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mutt inserts escape characters Alan Connor Linux / Unix 1 09-21-2004 01:03 PM
Word inserts wierd characters Jody Mac Ofice Word 1 01-06-2004 05:36 PM
display arabic characters in special fields Ramadan Windows XP Basics 0 12-15-2003 03:28 PM
Font characters show up as Rectangles in some applications (SolidWorks 2004) Tim Windows XP Help & Support 0 12-08-2003 08:54 PM
Keyboard Spacebar Opens Applications Jeff Customize Windows XP 0 11-05-2003 09:44 PM