please help

Posted: 06-03-2006, 10:19 PM
I had windows xp on c: and my docs in d:
I intalled vista on c: and now i can not acces my documents on d: becuase I
have them encrypted with my old windows xp.
Now, when i try to load the old windows xp, it hangs up in the boot process.
the xp installation is still in folder windows.old
how can i start xp again to regain access to my documents????
please help

please help


Responses to "please help"

JuanPabloGallardo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
please help
Posted: 06-03-2006, 10:38 PM
I had windows xp on c: and my docs in d:
I intalled vista on c: and now i can not acces my documents on d: becuase I
have them encrypted with my old windows xp.
Now, when i try to load the old windows xp, it hangs up in the boot process.
the xp installation is still in folder windows.old
how can i start xp again to regain access to my documents????
please help
Phong
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: please help
Posted: 06-04-2006, 04:36 AM
I might be wrong here, but I think you can't regain those encrypted files
unless export your credential/certificate file before the upgrade.


"JuanPabloGallardo" wrote:
> I had windows xp on c: and my docs in d:
> I intalled vista on c: and now i can not acces my documents on d: becuase I
> have them encrypted with my old windows xp.
> Now, when i try to load the old windows xp, it hangs up in the boot process.
> the xp installation is still in folder windows.old
> how can i start xp again to regain access to my documents????
> please help
Zack Whittaker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: please help
Posted: 06-04-2006, 11:21 AM
Yeh - once a file/folder is encrypted with a "key" (or certificate), it's
99.9999% that you won't crack it without the original certificate. That's
basically 1 in 5 billion people who can crack such ciphers... just do
yourself a break and don't bother with it (

--
Zack Whittaker
ZackNET Enterprises: www.zacknet.co.uk
MSBlog on ResDev: www.msblog.org
Vista Knowledge Base: www.vistabase.co.uk
This mailing is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no
rights. All opinions expressed are those of myself unless stated so, and not
of my employer, best friend, Ghandi, my mother or my cat. Glad we cleared
that up!

--: Original message follows :--
"Phong" <Phong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3369BF16-649C-4E99-ADE4-877506E8185F@microsoft.com...
>I might be wrong here, but I think you can't regain those encrypted files
> unless export your credential/certificate file before the upgrade.
>
>
> "JuanPabloGallardo" wrote:
>
>> I had windows xp on c: and my docs in d:
>> I intalled vista on c: and now i can not acces my documents on d: becuase
>> I
>> have them encrypted with my old windows xp.
>> Now, when i try to load the old windows xp, it hangs up in the boot
>> process.
>> the xp installation is still in folder windows.old
>> how can i start xp again to regain access to my documents????
>> please help

heathersgoinnuts
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: please help
Posted: 06-06-2006, 07:58 PM
I had the same problem all i had to do though was take ownership in the
security settings for the folders your trying to access
it was a long process going through every folder but I am now able to access
everything on my e drive


"Zack Whittaker" wrote:
> Yeh - once a file/folder is encrypted with a "key" (or certificate), it's
> 99.9999% that you won't crack it without the original certificate. That's
> basically 1 in 5 billion people who can crack such ciphers... just do
> yourself a break and don't bother with it (
>
> --
> Zack Whittaker
> » ZackNET Enterprises: www.zacknet.co.uk
> » MSBlog on ResDev: www.msblog.org
> » Vista Knowledge Base: www.vistabase.co.uk
> » This mailing is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights. All opinions expressed are those of myself unless stated so, and not
> of my employer, best friend, Ghandi, my mother or my cat. Glad we cleared
> that up!
>
> --: Original message follows :--
> "Phong" <Phong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:3369BF16-649C-4E99-ADE4-877506E8185F@microsoft.com...
> >I might be wrong here, but I think you can't regain those encrypted files
> > unless export your credential/certificate file before the upgrade.
> >
> >
> > "JuanPabloGallardo" wrote:
> >
> >> I had windows xp on c: and my docs in d:
> >> I intalled vista on c: and now i can not acces my documents on d: becuase
> >> I
> >> have them encrypted with my old windows xp.
> >> Now, when i try to load the old windows xp, it hangs up in the boot
> >> process.
> >> the xp installation is still in folder windows.old
> >> how can i start xp again to regain access to my documents????
> >> please help
>
>
>
Phong
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: please help
Posted: 06-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Is that really possible? Could you please detail the steps you took? I
couldn't repro it.

Just to confirm, are you saying that if you encrypt a file with user A, then
you'll be able to decrypt the file with another user (without the original
certificate)? Taking ownership of the file shouldn't yield the same or
original certificate.

Thanks,


"heathersgoinnuts" wrote:
> I had the same problem all i had to do though was take ownership in the
> security settings for the folders your trying to access
> it was a long process going through every folder but I am now able to access
> everything on my e drive
>
>
> "Zack Whittaker" wrote:
>
> > Yeh - once a file/folder is encrypted with a "key" (or certificate), it's
> > 99.9999% that you won't crack it without the original certificate. That's
> > basically 1 in 5 billion people who can crack such ciphers... just do
> > yourself a break and don't bother with it (
> >
> > --
> > Zack Whittaker
> > » ZackNET Enterprises: www.zacknet.co.uk
> > » MSBlog on ResDev: www.msblog.org
> > » Vista Knowledge Base: www.vistabase.co.uk
> > » This mailing is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no
> > rights. All opinions expressed are those of myself unless stated so, and not
> > of my employer, best friend, Ghandi, my mother or my cat. Glad we cleared
> > that up!
> >
> > --: Original message follows :--
> > "Phong" <Phong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:3369BF16-649C-4E99-ADE4-877506E8185F@microsoft.com...
> > >I might be wrong here, but I think you can't regain those encrypted files
> > > unless export your credential/certificate file before the upgrade.
> > >
> > >
> > > "JuanPabloGallardo" wrote:
> > >
> > >> I had windows xp on c: and my docs in d:
> > >> I intalled vista on c: and now i can not acces my documents on d: becuase
> > >> I
> > >> have them encrypted with my old windows xp.
> > >> Now, when i try to load the old windows xp, it hangs up in the boot
> > >> process.
> > >> the xp installation is still in folder windows.old
> > >> how can i start xp again to regain access to my documents????
> > >> please help
> >
> >
> >
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump