Problem with Vista locating a network hard drive

Posted: 01-28-2009, 08:40 PM

Hi

I recently bought a Western Digital 1TB Network Hard Drive

With this bit of hardware you get a peice of software called W
Anywhere Access (Powered by Mionet

The New HD is connected to my Wireless Router

Ok the situation is this

I have a PC with XP as its OS - I had installed the Mionet thin
descovering that it was the most useless and pathetic bit of softwar
that has ever been on my PC. It was a thougher waste of HD space and
removed it when I discovered that all I needed to do to access my ne
1TN HD was to use "My Network Places" and Map the Drive to "My Computer

But, And here is where Vista comes in

I have a Vista Laptop (Vista Home Premium 32bit
I am unable to locate the drive using this lapto, it cannot find i
unless I install the Mionet thing.
Once installing the Mionet thing, the laptop is able to find the 1TB H
through the network, so I am not Using the Mionet software, I mearl
installed it, which allowed me to locate the drive
Unfortunetly, This Mionet seems to disagree with Vista, and whe
turning my laptop on the folowing day, there were major problems and
was ubale to use the laptop in any setting but "Safe Mode". I grabbed m
Vista Disk to do a repair and it performed a system restor which remove
Mionet and made the laptop usable again

I don't want to reinstall this ionet incase the problem repeats itself
But I am now running out of ideas

Is there anyone out there with suggestions

FYI - I have deactivated the firewall and have also disabled rss an
autotuninglevel in command prompt

Thanks for any help

--
Wezaa

Problem with Vista locating a network hard drive


Responses to "Problem with Vista locating a network hard drive"

Grand_Poobah
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Problem with Vista locating a network hard drive
Posted: 01-28-2009, 08:54 PM
--->
> Hi,
>
> I recently bought a Western Digital 1TB Network Hard Drive.
>
> With this bit of hardware you get a peice of software called WD
> Anywhere Access (Powered by Mionet)
>
> The New HD is connected to my Wireless Router.
>
> Ok the situation is this.
>
> I have a PC with XP as its OS - I had installed the Mionet thing
> descovering that it was the most useless and pathetic bit of software
> that has ever been on my PC. It was a thougher waste of HD space and I
> removed it when I discovered that all I needed to do to access my new
> 1TN HD was to use "My Network Places" and Map the Drive to "My Computer"
>
> But, And here is where Vista comes in.
>
> I have a Vista Laptop (Vista Home Premium 32bit)
> I am unable to locate the drive using this lapto, it cannot find it
> unless I install the Mionet thing.
> Once installing the Mionet thing, the laptop is able to find the 1TB HD
> through the network, so I am not Using the Mionet software, I mearly
> installed it, which allowed me to locate the drive.
> Unfortunetly, This Mionet seems to disagree with Vista, and when
> turning my laptop on the folowing day, there were major problems and I
> was ubale to use the laptop in any setting but "Safe Mode". I grabbed my
> Vista Disk to do a repair and it performed a system restor which removed
> Mionet and made the laptop usable again.
>
> I don't want to reinstall this ionet incase the problem repeats itself.
> But I am now running out of ideas,
>
> Is there anyone out there with suggestions?
>
> FYI - I have deactivated the firewall and have also disabled rss and
> autotuninglevel in command prompt.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
>
What does WD (and their Mionet applet) have to say? DO they have
updated drivers for Vista?

GP
Wezaa
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Problem with Vista locating a network hard drive
Posted: 01-30-2009, 08:48 AM

Actually, I have discovered my problem now

I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 on Both machines

The KIS firewall was switched on, on both machines. After switching i
off on the Vista Laptop I was able to Map the Network Drive through "M
Computer". But the firewall has to remain off to maintain access

I did get the Latest Mionet install that apparently "Now support
Vista" and that once again crased the laptop and has to be Restored wit
the Vista Disk

But, all is well now anyway

thanks

--
Wezaa
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
locating external hard drive Aurora Stover Windows Vista Hardware & Devices 8 03-16-2008 06:39 AM
Problem downloading from network hard drive Göran Windows Vista Networking & Sharing 0 03-07-2008 12:55 AM
problem with connect my old hard drive to new comp w/ vista joseph Windows Vista Hardware & Devices 1 03-09-2007 09:35 PM
Problem with hard drive sata detection vista petitwu Windows Vista Hardware & Devices 0 12-15-2006 08:36 AM
Problem with WinXP network computer with 130+ GB Hard Drive Windows XP Network & Web 0 11-28-2003 04:41 PM