Question about Windows Explorer

Posted: 01-26-2009, 10:47 PM
Is there a way in Vista to see the cut, copy & paste icons that used
to be visible in Explorer under Windows XP?
Thanks,
- Jeff
www.odd-info.com

Question about Windows Explorer


Responses to "Question about Windows Explorer"

Bruce Chambers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Question about Windows Explorer
Posted: 01-27-2009, 02:41 AM
javawizard wrote:
> Is there a way in Vista to see the cut, copy & paste icons that used
> to be visible in Explorer under Windows XP?
> Thanks,
> - Jeff
> www.odd-info.com

What icons? Either right-click and make your choice, or simply
high-light the file/locate and press Ctrl-C or Ctrl-V accordingly.


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand Russell

The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Question about Windows Explorer
Posted: 01-28-2009, 06:13 PM
Addendum:

CTRL - X for "Cut" operation.

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
The Winhelponline Blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog


"javawizard" <javawizard@aol.com> wrote in message
news:3cb32dbe-2c60-4fd6-b76e-26dbb0dde7dc@w1g2000prm.googlegroups.com...
> Is there a way in Vista to see the cut, copy & paste icons that used
> to be visible in Explorer under Windows XP?
> Thanks,
> - Jeff
> www.odd-info.com

John Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Question about Windows Explorer
Posted: 01-28-2009, 08:59 PM
"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
news:ex%235QjCgJHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> javawizard wrote:
>> Is there a way in Vista to see the cut, copy & paste icons that used
>> to be visible in Explorer under Windows XP?
>> Thanks,
>> - Jeff
>> www.odd-info.com
>
>
> What icons? Either right-click and make your choice, or simply high-light
> the file/locate and press Ctrl-C or Ctrl-V accordingly.
>
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375
>
> They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
> safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin
>
> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
> Russell
>
> The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
> killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot
He's talking about the buttons on the toolbar that Windows Explorer used to
have before Vista, until someone decided that all of us who preferred using
the toolbar were obviously wrong and it was removed. The WE toolbar is one
of many long-time features removed in Vista that forces us to change the way
we work without it really being "better". I like Vista overall but the new
Windows Explorer really *sucks*.

Bruce Chambers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Question about Windows Explorer
Posted: 01-29-2009, 03:03 AM
John Smith wrote:
>
>
> He's talking about the buttons on the toolbar that Windows Explorer used
> to have before Vista, until someone decided that all of us who preferred
> using the toolbar were obviously wrong and it was removed.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

You know, even with 8+ years of using WinXP almost everyday, I had
never even noticed those icons (well, except for the Red X for "delete")
until you mentioned it, and I booted up a WinXP virtual machine to
double-check. Odd.

As to your being considered "obviously wrong" for using that tool-bar,
I can't speak. I do see, however, that using said tool-bar would
require additional mouse clicks, and therefore be less efficient.
Perhaps that's why it was dropped.

> The WE
> toolbar is one of many long-time features removed in Vista that forces
> us to change the way we work without it really being "better". I like
> Vista overall but the new Windows Explorer really *sucks*.
>

I'd have to respectfully disagree with this assessment, I'm afraid.
With the exception of that toolbar, the changes from WinXP's Explorer to
Vista's Explorer are almost entirely cosmetic. I do find that Vista's
"bread crumb" path address bar is a by far superior navigation tool,
once one gets used to it, when compared to WinXP's more cumbersome
"Back" and "Up" buttons.


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand Russell

The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Donald Lessau
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Question about Windows Explorer
Posted: 01-31-2009, 11:16 AM
"John Smith" <johnsmith@epix.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:eCLlNtYgJHA.3456@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> ...
> I like Vista overall but the new Windows Explorer really *sucks*.
That's why there are better ones. Actually MS is supporting a little
industry of "Alternative File Manager" or "Explorer Replacement" makers.

For my part I'm happy that "Windows Explorer really *sucks*"...

Don (maker of XYplorer -- http://www.xyplorer.com)

John Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Question about Windows Explorer
Posted: 02-05-2009, 03:05 AM
Comments below.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 10:03 PM
Subject: Re: Question about Windows Explorer

> John Smith wrote:
>>
>>
>> He's talking about the buttons on the toolbar that Windows Explorer used
>> to have before Vista, until someone decided that all of us who preferred
>> using the toolbar were obviously wrong and it was removed.
>
>
> Thanks for the enlightenment.
>
> You know, even with 8+ years of using WinXP almost everyday, I had never
> even noticed those icons (well, except for the Red X for "delete") until
> you mentioned it, and I booted up a WinXP virtual machine to double-check.
> Odd.
>
> As to your being considered "obviously wrong" for using that tool-bar, I
> can't speak. I do see, however, that using said tool-bar would require
> additional mouse clicks, and therefore be less efficient. Perhaps that's
> why it was dropped.
>

"obviously wrong" = sarcasm ;-)

The toolbar actually saves clicks - sometimes - like when deleting a file.
Instead of right-clicking on the file and finding "delete" on the menu, you
just click on the "delete" button on the toolbar. And when copying, it is
sometimes easier to keep my hand on the mouse and click the copy button than
doing a control-C or the right-click and search for "copy".

>
>> The WE toolbar is one of many long-time features removed in Vista that
>> forces us to change the way we work without it really being "better". I
>> like Vista overall but the new Windows Explorer really *sucks*.
>>
>
>
> I'd have to respectfully disagree with this assessment, I'm afraid. With
> the exception of that toolbar, the changes from WinXP's Explorer to
> Vista's Explorer are almost entirely cosmetic. I do find that Vista's
> "bread crumb" path address bar is a by far superior navigation tool, once
> one gets used to it, when compared to WinXP's more cumbersome "Back" and
> "Up" buttons.
>

The problem with the Vista address bar is when the folder names are fairly
long and I know I only want to go up one or two levels and they aren't
displayed there. It's something that just took me a little time to get used
to.

My biggest and most painful problems with the Vista WE start with the folder
views. I don't want it to remember each folder's view and it always does -
and none of the fixes I've seen here or elsewhere have worked. And it still
crashes all the time. And there are a LOT of problems with the folder
navigation pane that have driven me crazy - like the files listed in the
right pane aren't always the ones in the folder highlighted in the
navigation pane. It doesn't update when you collapse a folder or use the
arrow keys to navigate.

Other than that, it's OK. ;-)

>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375
>
> They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
> safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin
>
> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
> Russell
>
> The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
> killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot
John Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Question about Windows Explorer
Posted: 02-05-2009, 03:09 AM

"Donald Lessau" <don@oflex.com> wrote in message
news:gm1bv3$f4f$1@newsreader2.netcologne.de...
> "John Smith" <johnsmith@epix.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:eCLlNtYgJHA.3456@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> ...
>> I like Vista overall but the new Windows Explorer really *sucks*.
>
> That's why there are better ones. Actually MS is supporting a little
> industry of "Alternative File Manager" or "Explorer Replacement" makers.
>
> For my part I'm happy that "Windows Explorer really *sucks*"...
>
> Don (maker of XYplorer -- http://www.xyplorer.com)
>
Yes, I'm beginning to try some replacement programs since everyday tasks
have become so much of a problem in Vista WE. Your link is bookmarked.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows Explorer question DPM Windows XP Embedded 2 05-01-2008 03:36 PM
question about Windows Explorer Nancy Windows XP Configuration & Management 7 08-16-2006 04:39 AM
Windows Explorer Question Lord Gazwad of Grantham - MVP \(Special Faeces\) Windows XP Basics 2 04-09-2004 06:53 PM
Windows Explorer question Ken Kaplan Customize Windows XP 8 12-02-2003 12:53 AM
windows explorer question IK Windows XP Help & Support 2 10-15-2003 08:00 AM