re-installed XP Pro

Posted: 03-21-2005, 05:37 PM
I had to re-install XP Pro as my HDD crunched. Installed OS, SP2, anti-virus,
etc
this accepted my key, but when I went to register it came back with an
error. The key was typed wrong. This is the key on my system and on the
sticker. Has anyone run across this before?

re-installed XP Pro


Responses to "re-installed XP Pro"

Will Denny
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: re-installed XP Pro
Posted: 03-21-2005, 05:48 PM
Hi

What was the exact error message?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups.


"Ken T" <Ken T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B2981226-E952-4FB9-82EC-5526B0A2F098@microsoft.com...
>I had to re-install XP Pro as my HDD crunched. Installed OS, SP2,
>anti-virus,
> etc
> this accepted my key, but when I went to register it came back with an
> error. The key was typed wrong. This is the key on my system and on the
> sticker. Has anyone run across this before?

ktownley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: re-installed XP Pro
Posted: 03-21-2005, 06:17 PM
The error stated that I had typed the key incorrectly - re-typed it exactly
the way it stated on the sticker, but came back the same. I then typed my
other key for my other machine - it told me that it had exceeded the use
limit.

"Will Denny" wrote:
> Hi
>
> What was the exact error message?
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups.
>
>
> "Ken T" <Ken T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:B2981226-E952-4FB9-82EC-5526B0A2F098@microsoft.com...
> >I had to re-install XP Pro as my HDD crunched. Installed OS, SP2,
> >anti-virus,
> > etc
> > this accepted my key, but when I went to register it came back with an
> > error. The key was typed wrong. This is the key on my system and on the
> > sticker. Has anyone run across this before?
>
>
>
Will Denny
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: re-installed XP Pro
Posted: 03-21-2005, 06:23 PM
Hi

You saw no error message when you typed in the Product Key to install XP -
and XP installed correctly? Have you tried a 'Repair' install and
re-entering the PK?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups.


"ktownley" <ktownley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B4E68436-ADC9-42A6-B22B-6E5D538631D8@microsoft.com...
> The error stated that I had typed the key incorrectly - re-typed it
> exactly
> the way it stated on the sticker, but came back the same. I then typed my
> other key for my other machine - it told me that it had exceeded the use
> limit.
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> What was the exact error message?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups.
>>
>>
>> "Ken T" <Ken T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:B2981226-E952-4FB9-82EC-5526B0A2F098@microsoft.com...
>> >I had to re-install XP Pro as my HDD crunched. Installed OS, SP2,
>> >anti-virus,
>> > etc
>> > this accepted my key, but when I went to register it came back with an
>> > error. The key was typed wrong. This is the key on my system and on the
>> > sticker. Has anyone run across this before?
>>
>>
>>

ktownley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: re-installed XP Pro
Posted: 03-21-2005, 06:37 PM
DUH! no I did not even think - after fighting this last night, thanks for the
tip... I'll try this tonight. Thanks

"Will Denny" wrote:
> Hi
>
> You saw no error message when you typed in the Product Key to install XP -
> and XP installed correctly? Have you tried a 'Repair' install and
> re-entering the PK?
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups.
>
>
> "ktownley" <ktownley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:B4E68436-ADC9-42A6-B22B-6E5D538631D8@microsoft.com...
> > The error stated that I had typed the key incorrectly - re-typed it
> > exactly
> > the way it stated on the sticker, but came back the same. I then typed my
> > other key for my other machine - it told me that it had exceeded the use
> > limit.
> >
> > "Will Denny" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> What was the exact error message?
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Will Denny
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >> Please reply to the News Groups.
> >>
> >>
> >> "Ken T" <Ken T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:B2981226-E952-4FB9-82EC-5526B0A2F098@microsoft.com...
> >> >I had to re-install XP Pro as my HDD crunched. Installed OS, SP2,
> >> >anti-virus,
> >> > etc
> >> > this accepted my key, but when I went to register it came back with an
> >> > error. The key was typed wrong. This is the key on my system and on the
> >> > sticker. Has anyone run across this before?
> >>
> >>
> >>
>
>
>
Will Denny
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: re-installed XP Pro
Posted: 03-21-2005, 06:53 PM
Hope all goes well.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups.


"ktownley" <ktownley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:998AAA81-9F9E-49E2-B942-800DE2569D91@microsoft.com...
> DUH! no I did not even think - after fighting this last night, thanks for
> the
> tip... I'll try this tonight. Thanks
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> You saw no error message when you typed in the Product Key to install
>> XP -
>> and XP installed correctly? Have you tried a 'Repair' install and
>> re-entering the PK?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups.
>>
>>
>> "ktownley" <ktownley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:B4E68436-ADC9-42A6-B22B-6E5D538631D8@microsoft.com...
>> > The error stated that I had typed the key incorrectly - re-typed it
>> > exactly
>> > the way it stated on the sticker, but came back the same. I then typed
>> > my
>> > other key for my other machine - it told me that it had exceeded the
>> > use
>> > limit.
>> >
>> > "Will Denny" wrote:
>> >
>> >> Hi
>> >>
>> >> What was the exact error message?
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >>
>> >> Will Denny
>> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> >> Please reply to the News Groups.
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> "Ken T" <Ken T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >> news:B2981226-E952-4FB9-82EC-5526B0A2F098@microsoft.com...
>> >> >I had to re-install XP Pro as my HDD crunched. Installed OS, SP2,
>> >> >anti-virus,
>> >> > etc
>> >> > this accepted my key, but when I went to register it came back with
>> >> > an
>> >> > error. The key was typed wrong. This is the key on my system and on
>> >> > the
>> >> > sticker. Has anyone run across this before?
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>>
>>
>>

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Message after installed MS Vista: no soundcard installed...!? Turbo Invest Windows Vista Hardware & Devices 1 11-25-2007 08:03 AM
A new platform object needs to be installed before this update can be installed. Please download the latest platform update from <http://www.microsoft.com/embedded> and install it before attempting to install this QFE. Zhang Hui Windows XP Embedded 2 03-04-2005 09:10 AM
Help: Can't launch Installed Photoshop because Try-Out software installed Cortis_Clark@adobeforums.com Mac Photoshop 1 05-09-2004 02:05 PM
critical updates installed-not really installed? michael ellis Windows XP Help & Support 1 01-29-2004 06:27 PM
Outlook Express not installed when Installed XP Home Tom Mills Windows XP Setup 1 12-16-2003 08:38 PM