Remote Desktop Web Connection with Windows XP

Posted: 12-19-2008, 12:01 AM
Hi there,

Thanks to this article
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...p_03may16.mspx
I have managed to set-up the Remote Desktop Web Connection and forward the
correct ports.

The problem I have, is that on my IP, there are two computers, and I need to
be able to connect to my laptop, which is set up for remote connection.

My local ip address is 192.168.1.3
The Home computer is 192.168.1.2

To connect to the desktop, i have to put in the following command (with my
ip) http://192.168.1.120:1374/tsweb/ but how do i enter the network ip and my
local ip? because if I am sat at work, i have to type in the ip address
assigned to my internet connection at home and then I need to connect to my
laptop local ip?

If someone can help, it would much appreciated!

Remote Desktop Web Connection with Windows XP


Responses to "Remote Desktop Web Connection with Windows XP"

Sooner Al [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Remote Desktop Web Connection with Windows XP
Posted: 12-19-2008, 01:16 AM
"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3D25F0A9-3E59-4D76-B0C0-012DE04F1C8E@microsoft.com...
> Hi there,
>
> Thanks to this article
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...p_03may16.mspx
> I have managed to set-up the Remote Desktop Web Connection and forward
> the
> correct ports.
>
> The problem I have, is that on my IP, there are two computers, and I
> need to
> be able to connect to my laptop, which is set up for remote
> connection.
>
> My local ip address is 192.168.1.3
> The Home computer is 192.168.1.2
>
> To connect to the desktop, i have to put in the following command
> (with my
> ip) http://192.168.1.120:1374/tsweb/ but how do i enter the network ip
> and my
> local ip? because if I am sat at work, i have to type in the ip
> address
> assigned to my internet connection at home and then I need to connect
> to my
> laptop local ip?
>
> If someone can help, it would much appreciated!
You need to use the public IP of the home PC if its directly connected
to the internet or to the public IP of any router the home PC is behind.
You will also need to forward/open TCP Port 80 (IIS) and TCP Port 3389
(Remote Desktop). Note that some ISPs block TCP Port 80 because running
a web server violates the terms of service for residential accounts.

I'm a bit confused though. Are you trying to connect to a work computer
from home or vice versa? Where did the 192.168.1.120 address come from?
Where did Port 1374 come from?

Also if this is a work related requirement your work network admins will
help you set this up. If its not work related note it may violate
company policy to connect your untrusted home PC to the trusted work
network or PC.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)

Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
mutual benefit of all of us...
The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375


Frank
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Remote Desktop Web Connection with Windows XP
Posted: 12-19-2008, 01:47 AM
Aplogies for causing confusion - I wasn't that clear!

http://192.168.1.120:1374/tsweb/ is what i copied and pasted from that
article, and obviously I meant to replace the article IP with my IP, and port
1374, with the port opened.

Is the article correct in telling me to open open 1374?

When I type in my home IP, how will Remote Desktop Web Connection know to
connect to my laptop and not the desktop pc?

As for the work issues you pointed out, I should have explained further, as
that won't be an issue, as I won't be connecting from an office with a strict
network.

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
> "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:3D25F0A9-3E59-4D76-B0C0-012DE04F1C8E@microsoft.com...
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Thanks to this article
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...p_03may16.mspx
> > I have managed to set-up the Remote Desktop Web Connection and forward
> > the
> > correct ports.
> >
> > The problem I have, is that on my IP, there are two computers, and I
> > need to
> > be able to connect to my laptop, which is set up for remote
> > connection.
> >
> > My local ip address is 192.168.1.3
> > The Home computer is 192.168.1.2
> >
> > To connect to the desktop, i have to put in the following command
> > (with my
> > ip) http://192.168.1.120:1374/tsweb/ but how do i enter the network ip
> > and my
> > local ip? because if I am sat at work, i have to type in the ip
> > address
> > assigned to my internet connection at home and then I need to connect
> > to my
> > laptop local ip?
> >
> > If someone can help, it would much appreciated!
>
> You need to use the public IP of the home PC if its directly connected
> to the internet or to the public IP of any router the home PC is behind.
> You will also need to forward/open TCP Port 80 (IIS) and TCP Port 3389
> (Remote Desktop). Note that some ISPs block TCP Port 80 because running
> a web server violates the terms of service for residential accounts.
>
> I'm a bit confused though. Are you trying to connect to a work computer
> from home or vice versa? Where did the 192.168.1.120 address come from?
> Where did Port 1374 come from?
>
> Also if this is a work related requirement your work network admins will
> help you set this up. If its not work related note it may violate
> company policy to connect your untrusted home PC to the trusted work
> network or PC.
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)
>
> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
> mutual benefit of all of us...
> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights...
> How to ask a question
> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>
>
Sooner Al [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Remote Desktop Web Connection with Windows XP
Posted: 12-20-2008, 11:14 AM
"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news074031D-C60A-4D50-BE45-DBB57C6DFA4C@microsoft.com...
> Aplogies for causing confusion - I wasn't that clear!
>
> http://192.168.1.120:1374/tsweb/ is what i copied and pasted from that
> article, and obviously I meant to replace the article IP with my IP,
> and port
> 1374, with the port opened.
>
> Is the article correct in telling me to open open 1374?
>
> When I type in my home IP, how will Remote Desktop Web Connection know
> to
> connect to my laptop and not the desktop pc?
>
> As for the work issues you pointed out, I should have explained
> further, as
> that won't be an issue, as I won't be connecting from an office with a
> strict
> network.
>
The syntax is public.iport/tsweb/

Example:

12.34.56.78:8080/tsweb

....where 12.34.56.78 is the public IP of your router and if 8080 is the
port you change to instead of using TCP Port 80. Now with that example
you need both TCP Port 8080 (IIS) *AND* TCP Port 3389 (Remote Desktop)
forwarded/opened to the private LAN IP of the PC your trying to connect
to. Both ports are required. Its also possible your work blocks TCP Port
3389 outbound. Here are examples for a Linksys WRT54GL router.

http://www.portforward.com/english/r...T54GL/HTTP.htm
http://www.portforward.com/english/r...te_Desktop.htm

You can test this from a remote site like a family or friends house
also.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)

Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
mutual benefit of all of us...
The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375



 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remote Desktop Fail after SP2 Installation Windows XP (The Remote Computer Has ended the connection) oliver neuhauser Windows XP Work Remotely 2 04-29-2005 04:11 PM
remote desktop connection (from mac) to Windows XP Pro (vpc)? carbotpc.com Mac Virtual PC 3 03-08-2005 12:26 AM
Windows XP remote desktop connection nokiausa Windows XP Work Remotely 1 12-19-2003 11:52 PM
How do I enable remote desktop connection with windows xp? Windows XP Work Remotely 1 11-13-2003 10:54 AM
remote desktop connection windows xp home cecil Windows XP 0 07-27-2003 03:08 AM