Remove Read Only on a file in System folder

Posted: 06-12-2008, 08:00 PM
I have Vista Home Edition install on a box and I need to remove Read Only on
a file in the Systems folder. My user account is in the Adiminstrator group
yet when I try to remove the Read Only I keep getting an error saying I need
to be an Administrator to do this. What do I need to do to get enough rights
to get the Read Only option remove for the file in the System folder.

Thanks,


Remove Read Only on a file in System folder


Responses to "Remove Read Only on a file in System folder"

Steve Riley [MSFT]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Remove Read Only on a file in System folder
Posted: 06-15-2008, 08:48 PM
What is the name of this file you're trying to remove?

Vista uses a stronger set of ACLs on the operating system files than XP did.
Even administrators have read-only access.

--
Steve Riley
steve.riley@microsoft.com
http://blogs.technet.com/steriley
http://www.protectyourwindowsnetwork.com



"Steve" <skoon@escapia.com> wrote in message
news:uFaECcMzIHA.1236@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> I have Vista Home Edition install on a box and I need to remove Read Only
> on a file in the Systems folder. My user account is in the Adiminstrator
> group yet when I try to remove the Read Only I keep getting an error
> saying I need to be an Administrator to do this. What do I need to do to
> get enough rights to get the Read Only option remove for the file in the
> System folder.
>
> Thanks,
>
ojk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Remove Read Only on a file in System folder
Posted: 11-19-2008, 05:47 PM

I am trying to use Good Sync Pro.

Operating Vista Home Premium on desktop and Vista Business on laptop.

Need to remove read only on a file folder but each time I think I have
it, it comes right back.

I have tried going into explorer as an administrator, although I am
logged as an administrator.

I tried going through my computer to access the folder with the same
lack of success.

Is there a secret to this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance !


--
ojk
Gordon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Remove Read Only on a file in System folder
Posted: 11-19-2008, 06:31 PM
ojk wrote:
> I am trying to use Good Sync Pro.
>
> Operating Vista Home Premium on desktop and Vista Business on laptop.
>
> Need to remove read only on a file folder but each time I think I have
> it, it comes right back.
>
> I have tried going into explorer as an administrator, although I am
> logged as an administrator.
>
> I tried going through my computer to access the folder with the same
> lack of success.
>
> Is there a secret to this?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance !
>
>
read-only on a folder does not apply to a folder - it applies to the
contents (AFAIR)
ojk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Remove Read Only on a file in System folder
Posted: 11-19-2008, 07:58 PM

Gordon

Thanks for the reply.

The data is held in a folder 'my RoboForm data'. In the folder is a
'default' file which actually holds the data but this is listed, under
'type', as a 'file folder' as type and the read only attribute can not
be removed. Does the 'type' need to be changed to a file first and if
so, how is this done.

I drilled down further into the 'default' file folder to the actual
data entries which are typed as 'PassCard File. They too cannot be
changed from read only.

The read only is blocking the sync process.

Not sure if you can assist but I appreciate your time.

Thanks!


--
ojk
DonQ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Remove Read Only on a file in System folder
Posted: 11-19-2008, 08:21 PM
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 13:58:05 -0600, ojk <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:
>
>Gordon
>
>Thanks for the reply.
>
>The data is held in a folder 'my RoboForm data'.
Why do you need to play with that? I have used Roboform for years,
and I never have to go into it. I moved it once, and it's stayed
there ever since.
>In the folder is a
>'default' file which actually holds the data but this is listed, under
>'type', as a 'file folder' as type and the read only attribute can not
>be removed. Does the 'type' need to be changed to a file first and if
>so, how is this done.
>
>I drilled down further into the 'default' file folder to the actual
>data entries which are typed as 'PassCard File. They too cannot be
>changed from read only.
>
>The read only is blocking the sync process.
>
>Not sure if you can assist but I appreciate your time.
>
>Thanks!
Don
ojk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Remove Read Only on a file in System folder
Posted: 11-19-2008, 09:40 PM

Don

I did not set up the folders did. The install set them up without me
having any input.

Glad to hear you have no problems with the product but all I want to do
is get to use the GoodSync product endorsed and part of the RoboForm
family.

I too have no problems with RoboForm itself.


--
ojk
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remove Read Only from particular file BillA Windows XP Basics 2 10-11-2003 08:07 PM
Hto Remove a System Folder Bman88 Windows XP Basics 1 08-26-2003 02:01 AM
Remove not available in Folder Options, File Types, File Folder, Advance PaulM Customize Windows XP 1 08-16-2003 01:41 AM
How to disable or remove Tools Menu from IE or remove Read News option Zeke Smith Windows XP Security & Administration 0 08-13-2003 02:03 PM
Can't Remove an Offline Folder of a non-existing File Server Chris Zanowick Windows XP 0 07-15-2003 10:49 PM