Right click disabled itself- how do I undo?

Posted: 01-21-2009, 10:01 PM
My right click no longer brings up the menu anywhere (windows explorer,
Start, my browser). The actual button works but it functions like a left
click. I've tried System Restore in case it was something I changed by
mistake, but no luck.
I know that there an option in registry editor to turn this on or off and I
have been having trouble with my regedit- its blocked at start up and I have
to give it permission to run every time I start up. Is this a different
problem or are they related?
If someone knows how to fix this, I'd be eternally grateful- not having that
menu is quite the pain.

Right click disabled itself- how do I undo?


Responses to "Right click disabled itself- how do I undo?"

Michael Walraven
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Right click disabled itself- how do I undo?
Posted: 01-21-2009, 10:29 PM
In general:
Control Panel
Under Hardware and sound, select Mouse
exactly what is there will depend on mouse software installed

Michael


"Shenanigans14" <Shenanigans14@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BCE59789-E900-4D23-8962-358FE6EBC073@microsoft.com...
> My right click no longer brings up the menu anywhere (windows explorer,
> Start, my browser). The actual button works but it functions like a left
> click. I've tried System Restore in case it was something I changed by
> mistake, but no luck.
> I know that there an option in registry editor to turn this on or off and
> I
> have been having trouble with my regedit- its blocked at start up and I
> have
> to give it permission to run every time I start up. Is this a different
> problem or are they related?
> If someone knows how to fix this, I'd be eternally grateful- not having
> that
> menu is quite the pain.
Brink
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Right click disabled itself- how do I undo?
Posted: 01-21-2009, 11:09 PM

Hello Shenanigans

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean

If you mean that the left and right mouse buttons are reversed, the
this will how you how to reverse them back to normal

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/84...use-button.htm

Not sure why you would have a elevated regedit listed to run at startu
though, but it is a separate unrelated issue. If you do not want it t
run at startup, then you can just disable or remove it from the startu
programs list

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/79...le-disable.htm

Hope this helps
Shaw

Shenanigans14;946417 Wrote:
> My right click no longer brings up the menu anywhere (windows explorer
> Start, my browser). The actual button works but it functions like
> lef
> click. I've tried System Restore in case it was something I changed b
> mistake, but no luck
> I know that there an option in registry editor to turn this on or of
> and
> have been having trouble with my regedit- its blocked at start up and
> hav
> to give it permission to run every time I start up. Is this a differen
> problem or are they related
> If someone knows how to fix this, I'd be eternally grateful- not havin
> tha
> menu is quite the pain
--
Brin

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not as
them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*
(http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and* '*::Vista Forums::*
(http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Shenanigans14
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Right click disabled itself- how do I undo?
Posted: 01-22-2009, 12:51 AM
Thank you. Its good to know its not the registry edit.
However, the problem isn't with the buttons- I have fiddled with the
settings on my touchpad and tried an external mouse, but nothing makes my
capacity to right click come back. This can be disabled on computers (its
usually done in libraries to keep people from messing with settings). It
seems to have done so on mine and I can't switch it back.

"Brink" wrote:
>
> Hello Shenanigans,
>
> I'm not sure if I understand what you mean.
>
> If you mean that the left and right mouse buttons are reversed, then
> this will how you how to reverse them back to normal.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/84...se-button.html
>
>
> Not sure why you would have a elevated regedit listed to run at startup
> though, but it is a separate unrelated issue. If you do not want it to
> run at startup, then you can just disable or remove it from the startup
> programs list.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/79...e-disable.html
>
> Hope this helps,
> Shawn
>
> Shenanigans14;946417 Wrote:
> > My right click no longer brings up the menu anywhere (windows explorer,
> > Start, my browser). The actual button works but it functions like a
> > left
> > click. I've tried System Restore in case it was something I changed by
> > mistake, but no luck.
> > I know that there an option in registry editor to turn this on or off
> > and I
> > have been having trouble with my regedit- its blocked at start up and I
> > have
> > to give it permission to run every time I start up. Is this a different
> > problem or are they related?
> > If someone knows how to fix this, I'd be eternally grateful- not having
> > that
> > menu is quite the pain.
>
>
> --
> Brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> them.*
> '*Windows 7 Forums*'
> (http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and* '*::Vista Forums::*'
> (http://www.vistax64.com)
> *Please post feedback to help others.*
>
Brink
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Right click disabled itself- how do I undo?
Posted: 01-22-2009, 04:08 AM

Shenanigans

In that case, this may be able to help you get it enabled again

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/14...le-disable.htm


Shenanigans14;946578 Wrote:
> Thank you. Its good to know its not the registry edit
> However, the problem isn't with the buttons- I have fiddled with th
> settings on my touchpad and tried an external mouse, but nothing make
> m
> capacity to right click come back. This can be disabled on computer
> (it
> usually done in libraries to keep people from messing with settings)
> I
> seems to have done so on mine and I can't switch it back
>
> "Brink" wrote
> > > >
> >
> > > Hello Shenanigans
> >
> > > I'm not sure if I understand what you mean
> >
> > > If you mean that the left and right mouse buttons are reversed, the
> > > this will how you how to reverse them back to normal
> >
> > > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/84...use-button.htm
> >
> >
> > > Not sure why you would have a elevated regedit listed to run a
> > startu
> > > though, but it is a separate unrelated issue. If you do not want i
> > t
> > > run at startup, then you can just disable or remove it from th
> > startu
> > > programs list
> >
> >
> > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/79...le-disable.htm
> >
> > > Hope this helps
> > > Shaw
> >
> > > Shenanigans14;946417 Wrote:> > > > >
> > > > > My right click no longer brings up the menu anywhere (window
> > > explorer
> > > > > Start, my browser). The actual button works but it functions like
> > > > > lef
> > > > > click. I've tried System Restore in case it was something I change
> > > b
> > > > > mistake, but no luck
> > > > > I know that there an option in registry editor to turn this on o
> > > of
> > > > > and
> > > > > have been having trouble with my regedit- its blocked at start u
> > > and
> > > > > hav
> > > > > to give it permission to run every time I start up. Is this
> > > differen
> > > > > problem or are they related
> > > > > If someone knows how to fix this, I'd be eternally grateful- no
> > > havin
> > > > > tha
> > > > > menu is quite the pain.> > > >
> >
> >
> > > -
> > > Brin
> >
> > > *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not as
> > > them.
> > > '*Windows 7 Forums*
> > > ('Windows 7 Forums' (http://www.sevenforums.com/)) *and
> > '*::Vista Forums::*
> > > (http://www.vistax64.com
> > > *Please post feedback to help others.
> > > >
--
Brin

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not as
them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*
(http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and* '*::Vista Forums::*
(http://www.vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Shenanigans14
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Right click disabled itself- how do I undo?
Posted: 01-22-2009, 05:29 AM
That did it! Thanks so much.

"Brink" wrote:
>
> Shenanigans,
>
> In that case, this may be able to help you get it enabled again.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/14...e-disable.html
>
>
>
> Shenanigans14;946578 Wrote:
> > Thank you. Its good to know its not the registry edit.
> > However, the problem isn't with the buttons- I have fiddled with the
> > settings on my touchpad and tried an external mouse, but nothing makes
> > my
> > capacity to right click come back. This can be disabled on computers
> > (its
> > usually done in libraries to keep people from messing with settings).
> > It
> > seems to have done so on mine and I can't switch it back.
> >
> > "Brink" wrote:
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > Hello Shenanigans,
> > > >
> > > > I'm not sure if I understand what you mean.
> > > >
> > > > If you mean that the left and right mouse buttons are reversed, then
> > > > this will how you how to reverse them back to normal.
> > > >
> > > > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/84...se-button.html
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Not sure why you would have a elevated regedit listed to run at
> > > startup
> > > > though, but it is a separate unrelated issue. If you do not want it
> > > to
> > > > run at startup, then you can just disable or remove it from the
> > > startup
> > > > programs list.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/79...e-disable.html
> > > >
> > > > Hope this helps,
> > > > Shawn
> > > >
> > > > Shenanigans14;946417 Wrote:> > > > >
> > > > > > My right click no longer brings up the menu anywhere (windows
> > > > explorer,
> > > > > > Start, my browser). The actual button works but it functions like a
> > > > > > left
> > > > > > click. I've tried System Restore in case it was something I changed
> > > > by
> > > > > > mistake, but no luck.
> > > > > > I know that there an option in registry editor to turn this on or
> > > > off
> > > > > > and I
> > > > > > have been having trouble with my regedit- its blocked at start up
> > > > and I
> > > > > > have
> > > > > > to give it permission to run every time I start up. Is this a
> > > > different
> > > > > > problem or are they related?
> > > > > > If someone knows how to fix this, I'd be eternally grateful- not
> > > > having
> > > > > > that
> > > > > > menu is quite the pain.> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > --
> > > > Brink
> > > >
> > > > *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> > > > them.*
> > > > '*Windows 7 Forums*'
> > > > ('Windows 7 Forums' (http://www.sevenforums.com/)) *and*
> > > '*::Vista Forums::*'
> > > > (http://www.vistax64.com)
> > > > *Please post feedback to help others.*
> > > > > >
>
>
> --
> Brink
>
> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask
> them.*
> '*Windows 7 Forums*'
> (http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and* '*::Vista Forums::*'
> (http://www.vistax64.com)
> *Please post feedback to help others.*
>
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Right click disabled Papatchel Windows XP Embedded 1 05-12-2006 03:03 PM
disabled right click in folder view Steve Windows XP Performance & Maintenance 0 07-12-2004 09:03 PM
my right click has been some how disabled... hiexpress Windows XP Help & Support 1 02-10-2004 02:51 AM
privacy right click delete disabled? martinmb Windows XP Messenger 5 09-19-2003 02:56 PM
How to undo the auto click function Erik Windows XP New Users 1 07-16-2003 06:39 PM