Something Wrong With Vista Upgrade? (34-bit)

Posted: 06-26-2006, 10:47 AM
Hi,
i upgraded to vista, first for some reason when i upgraded it started
computer and went to 4-bit and the lowest resolution, then explorer.exe
started crashing. My computer meet the specifications but just vista wont
work. Explorer.exe starts crashing when i open a folder or Control Panel or
anything i can change settings but it wont let me move up to 34-bit colour
and 1204-874 (or something like that) it just stays at: 4-bit colour and
lowest resolution, any help?

Thanks,
Wormhole

Something Wrong With Vista Upgrade? (34-bit)


Responses to "Something Wrong With Vista Upgrade? (34-bit)"

Foofy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Something Wrong With Vista Upgrade? (34-bit)
Posted: 06-26-2006, 11:32 AM
You can start by installing the latest drivers for your video card. That
said, I had to do a clean install as my computer had a BSOD every time I
used explorer to see any folder on my C drive, eventually crashing every
time it got to the end of setting up the desktop. No BSOD with the clean
install so far.

"Wormhole" <Wormhole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:548D2536-83BE-45EA-929F-43080B4D2246@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> i upgraded to vista, first for some reason when i upgraded it started
> computer and went to 4-bit and the lowest resolution, then explorer.exe
> started crashing. My computer meet the specifications but just vista wont
> work. Explorer.exe starts crashing when i open a folder or Control Panel
> or
> anything i can change settings but it wont let me move up to 34-bit colour
> and 1204-874 (or something like that) it just stays at: 4-bit colour and
> lowest resolution, any help?
>
> Thanks,
> Wormhole

Paul Landay
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Something Wrong With Vista Upgrade? (34-bit)
Posted: 06-26-2006, 12:53 PM
Wormhole wrote:
> Hi,
> i upgraded to vista, first for some reason when i upgraded it started
> computer and went to 4-bit and the lowest resolution, then explorer.exe
> started crashing. My computer meet the specifications but just vista wont
> work. Explorer.exe starts crashing when i open a folder or Control Panel or
> anything i can change settings but it wont let me move up to 34-bit colour
> and 1204-874 (or something like that) it just stays at: 4-bit colour and
> lowest resolution, any help?
>
> Thanks,
> Wormhole
I had the 640x480,4bit color problem when I installed Vista Beta2 also.
In my case the problem was fixed by updating the BIOS, so that Vista
could accurately detect the capabilities of the graphics card (Intel
Brookdale-G chipset). I hope that helps.

Paul Landay
Wormhole
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Something Wrong With Vista Upgrade? (34-bit)
Posted: 06-26-2006, 01:10 PM
Hmmm how would i update my BIOS??

"Paul Landay" wrote:
> Wormhole wrote:
> > Hi,
> > i upgraded to vista, first for some reason when i upgraded it started
> > computer and went to 4-bit and the lowest resolution, then explorer.exe
> > started crashing. My computer meet the specifications but just vista wont
> > work. Explorer.exe starts crashing when i open a folder or Control Panel or
> > anything i can change settings but it wont let me move up to 34-bit colour
> > and 1204-874 (or something like that) it just stays at: 4-bit colour and
> > lowest resolution, any help?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Wormhole
>
> I had the 640x480,4bit color problem when I installed Vista Beta2 also.
> In my case the problem was fixed by updating the BIOS, so that Vista
> could accurately detect the capabilities of the graphics card (Intel
> Brookdale-G chipset). I hope that helps.
>
> Paul Landay
>
Colin Barnhorst
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Something Wrong With Vista Upgrade? (34-bit)
Posted: 06-26-2006, 01:40 PM
You check your BIOS version number against the manufacturer's website to see
if a later version is available. If so, you carefully follow the directions
on the website. The consequences of making a mistake while flashing a BIOS
are winding up with a non-working machine.

"Wormhole" <Wormhole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:016DE421-9AD1-4CB4-9D97-7B282A48AC87@microsoft.com...
> Hmmm how would i update my BIOS??
>
> "Paul Landay" wrote:
>
>> Wormhole wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > i upgraded to vista, first for some reason when i upgraded it started
>> > computer and went to 4-bit and the lowest resolution, then explorer.exe
>> > started crashing. My computer meet the specifications but just vista
>> > wont
>> > work. Explorer.exe starts crashing when i open a folder or Control
>> > Panel or
>> > anything i can change settings but it wont let me move up to 34-bit
>> > colour
>> > and 1204-874 (or something like that) it just stays at: 4-bit colour
>> > and
>> > lowest resolution, any help?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Wormhole
>>
>> I had the 640x480,4bit color problem when I installed Vista Beta2 also.
>> In my case the problem was fixed by updating the BIOS, so that Vista
>> could accurately detect the capabilities of the graphics card (Intel
>> Brookdale-G chipset). I hope that helps.
>>
>> Paul Landay
>>

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I have win.vista and anytime upgrade dvd-rom what else is needed to upgrade tp win.vista premium Guest Windows Vista 0 04-25-2008 09:40 PM
I have win.vista and anytime upgrade dvd-rom what else is needed to upgrade tp win.vista premium Guest Windows Vista 0 04-24-2008 06:23 PM
Windows Vista Upgrade Has Been Disabled -Upgrade Compliance Check SB Windows Vista Install & Setup 3 07-28-2006 05:39 PM
Something Wrong With Vista Upgrade? (34-bit) Wormhole Windows Vista Hardware & Devices 1 06-26-2006 04:52 PM
Hard drive upgrade - what am I doing wrong? Rob C Windows XP Hardware 2 08-11-2003 11:38 PM