Sort by date modified not working

Posted: 03-30-2009, 10:15 PM

Hello, I have a major problem with sorting folders

I have a folder hat has like 1000 files in it and am trying to sor
these files as usual by date modified. However they are not sorted b
the actual date, but they are sorted by month

For example; take five files having different date modified informatio
as below

aaa.xls 3/10/200
bbb.xls 3/21/200
ccc.xls 4/3/200
ddd.xls 3/15/200
eee.xls 4/20/200

When you sort these files, the correct sorting in descending orde
should be like

ccc.xl
ddd.xl
aaa.xl
bbb.xl
eee.xl

However, when I sort them right now, they are sorted like

ccc.xl
eee.xl
bbb.xl
ddd.xl
aaa.xl

This is really weird. I have done a lot of search on google, but coul
not find anyone else having the same problem

Is there anything you have to solve this

Thanks in advance

Core

--
ktothek

Sort by date modified not working


Responses to "Sort by date modified not working"

R. C. White
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Sort by date modified not working
Posted: 03-31-2009, 02:49 PM
Hi, ktothek.

This is not exactly my forte, but I can make a couple of guesses.

First, have you read KB319827:
The sort order for files and folders whose names contain numerals is
different in Windows Vista, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 than it is
in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/319827

The new system sorts each digit individually, rather than a part of a larger
number, so that "15" comes before "2".

Second, have you reversed the sort order? It appears that your small
example may be correct, using the new rules - except in descending order.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@grandecom.net
Microsoft Windows MVP
Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8064.0206) in Win7 Ultimate x64 7000

"ktothek" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
news:e2781e18416f820200af5d744d85f9ed@nntp-gateway.com...
>
> Hello, I have a major problem with sorting folders.
>
> I have a folder hat has like 1000 files in it and am trying to sort
> these files as usual by date modified. However they are not sorted by
> the actual date, but they are sorted by month.
>
> For example; take five files having different date modified information
> as below:
>
> aaa.xls 3/10/2009
> bbb.xls 3/21/2008
> ccc.xls 4/3/2009
> ddd.xls 3/15/2009
> eee.xls 4/20/2007
>
> When you sort these files, the correct sorting in descending order
> should be like:
>
> ccc.xls
> ddd.xls
> aaa.xls
> bbb.xls
> eee.xls
>
> However, when I sort them right now, they are sorted like:
>
> ccc.xls
> eee.xls
> bbb.xls
> ddd.xls
> aaa.xls
>
> This is really weird. I have done a lot of search on google, but could
> not find anyone else having the same problem.
>
> Is there anything you have to solve this?
>
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Corey
>
>
> --
> ktothek
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
last modified date Shomari Windows XP Photos 1 10-22-2005 05:22 AM
MP3 Date Modified Help Mackker Windows XP Music 1 10-14-2004 11:25 PM
created date & modified date puzzle Helene Mac Office Power Point 9 05-28-2004 02:04 PM
Windows Explorer - Date Created and Date Modified Matching iltf124 no spam @hotmail.com Windows XP Help & Support 0 02-04-2004 04:20 PM
Shortcut For Sort By Name/Type/Date/Modified??? The Leet Beagle Windows XP Basics 2 01-21-2004 07:56 PM