standard users can see administrators desktop files when uac is on

Posted: 07-22-2008, 11:09 PM
Hi
Standard users can see and access my desktop files but I am the
administrator. Should this be the case. If not, does anybody know what I can
I do to prevent them from accessing my files?
Many thanks,
Mike.

standard users can see administrators desktop files when uac is on


Responses to "standard users can see administrators desktop files when uac is on"

oscar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: standard users can see administrators desktop files when uac is on
Posted: 07-23-2008, 05:03 AM
Try this:

-Go to the folder that is being shared by users and Stop Sharing

-Example: C:\Users\username

-Right click Desktop folder

-Desktop Properties

-Sharing

-Choose Stop sharing

More information about Sharing files and folders in Help and Support

--
oscar

....Right click is your best friend...


"oknowigetit" wrote:
> Hi
> Standard users can see and access my desktop files but I am the
> administrator. Should this be the case. If not, does anybody know what I can
> I do to prevent them from accessing my files?
> Many thanks,
> Mike.
Puncrawq
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: standard users can see administrators desktop files when uac is on
Posted: 07-23-2008, 05:28 AM

is the account security function enabled? the one that makes you approve
every single task


--
Puncrawq
oknowigetit
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: standard users can see administrators desktop files when uac i
Posted: 07-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Hey Oscar,
Thanks for that. Tried it and it works well. It appears the security on my
user files was gave others permission (family pc) to access my files. I've
used right-click and re-configured security permissions and it works fine. I
think I may have tried to access my files from their user name (logged in as
standard user) at one stage. When asked for permission to view the folder I
gave in my password and got through. I thought this would be a once off
situation, and if that user tried again they would be asked for
permission/password again. Is this not the case ie. does vista simply
remember the request and not ask for permission again next time an attempt is
made to access this folder?
Appreciate yr support here.
oknowigetit.

"oscar" wrote:
> Try this:
>
> -Go to the folder that is being shared by users and Stop Sharing
>
> -Example: C:\Users\username
>
> -Right click Desktop folder
>
> -Desktop Properties
>
> -Sharing
>
> -Choose Stop sharing
>
> More information about Sharing files and folders in Help and Support
>
> --
> oscar
>
> ...Right click is your best friend...
>
>
> "oknowigetit" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > Standard users can see and access my desktop files but I am the
> > administrator. Should this be the case. If not, does anybody know what I can
> > I do to prevent them from accessing my files?
> > Many thanks,
> > Mike.
oknowigetit
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: standard users can see administrators desktop files when uac i
Posted: 07-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Hi Puncrawq,
Thanks for yr assistance here.
You suggestion may tie in with my additional comment above. UAC was/is
enabled. I'm wondering if I need to reset it somehow once I gave accesses to
my folder from another users account, but I thought that was a temporary
access?
All the best,
oknowigetit

"Puncrawq" wrote:
>
> is the account security function enabled? the one that makes you approve
> every single task
>
>
> --
> Puncrawq
>
oknowigetit
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: standard users can see administrators desktop files when uac i
Posted: 07-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Hi Oscar,
Just checked 'sharing' options on folder and they were set to 'not shared'.
I think the security tab's setting needed adjustment (which has been done
now) though I'm wondering if I this is over-rided *permanently* once a
standard user views the files using the administrator password? Am I on the
right track?
Thanks again for yr help,
oknowigetit.

"oknowigetit" wrote:
> Hey Oscar,
> Thanks for that. Tried it and it works well. It appears the security on my
> user files was gave others permission (family pc) to access my files. I've
> used right-click and re-configured security permissions and it works fine. I
> think I may have tried to access my files from their user name (logged in as
> standard user) at one stage. When asked for permission to view the folder I
> gave in my password and got through. I thought this would be a once off
> situation, and if that user tried again they would be asked for
> permission/password again. Is this not the case ie. does vista simply
> remember the request and not ask for permission again next time an attempt is
> made to access this folder?
> Appreciate yr support here.
> oknowigetit.
>
> "oscar" wrote:
>
> > Try this:
> >
> > -Go to the folder that is being shared by users and Stop Sharing
> >
> > -Example: C:\Users\username
> >
> > -Right click Desktop folder
> >
> > -Desktop Properties
> >
> > -Sharing
> >
> > -Choose Stop sharing
> >
> > More information about Sharing files and folders in Help and Support
> >
> > --
> > oscar
> >
> > ...Right click is your best friend...
> >
> >
> > "oknowigetit" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > > Standard users can see and access my desktop files but I am the
> > > administrator. Should this be the case. If not, does anybody know what I can
> > > I do to prevent them from accessing my files?
> > > Many thanks,
> > > Mike.
oscar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: standard users can see administrators desktop files when uac i
Posted: 07-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Oscar Answers:

To answer some of your questions:

1) Go to User Accounts > Turn User Account Control On or Off. If the box is
checked and you have restarted the computer recently with the box checked
then UAC is on. Once UAC is On it stays On until administrator changes it.

2) Concerning Sharing Folders and Files:

There are three basic ways to enable Sharing of Folders.
1) On the toolbar, click Share and use Share Wizard
2) Right click Folder > Properties > Share (Important- also look at
Advanced Sharing, too.)
3) Right click Folder > Share

As far as I know when you change the properties of a Folder or file, it is
permanent until the administrator or other authorized users change it.

There are other sharing options in Vista that you might want to read up on
from Help and Support.

Another place to look regarding shared folders and files: Network and
Sharing Center to make sure that you allow only certain Folder “rights” to
members of the family in the home network setup, if you have such a set-up.

The last advice I can give to anyone who is somewhat new to UAC and
Administrator powers of Vista- do not lose your administrator password. Write
it down somewhere. Make two copies. Put them somewhere where you’ll find them
next week, or a year from now. Make a Reset Password Disc, too. Do not lose
that password.

Hope this helps…



--
oscar

....Right click is your best friend...


"oknowigetit" wrote:
> Hi Puncrawq,
> Thanks for yr assistance here.
> You suggestion may tie in with my additional comment above. UAC was/is
> enabled. I'm wondering if I need to reset it somehow once I gave accesses to
> my folder from another users account, but I thought that was a temporary
> access?
> All the best,
> oknowigetit
>
> "Puncrawq" wrote:
>
> >
> > is the account security function enabled? the one that makes you approve
> > every single task
> >
> >
> > --
> > Puncrawq
> >
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XP users automagically become Administrators Chris Windows XP Configuration & Management 0 12-02-2005 02:23 AM
All users except Administrators locked out of XP Pro Stand-Alone Greg Windows XP Configuration & Management 0 08-03-2005 01:47 PM
Internet doesn't work for other users than Administrators. Chris Windows XP Configuration & Management 1 11-11-2004 08:15 PM
GPEDIT, Administrators and Users bbford Customize Windows XP 2 01-29-2004 09:51 PM
GPEDIT, Administrators and Users bbford Windows XP New Users 2 01-29-2004 09:51 PM