SYM_REGISTRY_BACKUP.reg Question

Posted: 06-24-2008, 11:13 PM
I just noticed a file in C:\ named SYM_REGISTRY_BACKUP.reg, dated 4/22008.
It is quite large (223MB) so I wanted to delete it to free up some space.
Searching the Internet, I can't tell if it is part of a virus or it I can
safely delete it without breaking some legit working program (assuming it is
not virus related). I scanned it with Norton and it says it is ok. Does
anyone know anything about this file?

Thanks in advance.

SYM_REGISTRY_BACKUP.reg Question


Responses to "SYM_REGISTRY_BACKUP.reg Question"

Mark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: SYM_REGISTRY_BACKUP.reg Question
Posted: 06-25-2008, 12:18 AM
http://solutions.symantec.com/sdccom...080528170617EN

It is a backup copy of your registry created by Symantec's Norton Utilities.


"Paputxi" <Paputxi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:489C06DA-A843-457F-9511-BF13715C341A@microsoft.com...
>I just noticed a file in C:\ named SYM_REGISTRY_BACKUP.reg, dated 4/22008.
> It is quite large (223MB) so I wanted to delete it to free up some space.
> Searching the Internet, I can't tell if it is part of a virus or it I can
> safely delete it without breaking some legit working program (assuming it
> is
> not virus related). I scanned it with Norton and it says it is ok. Does
> anyone know anything about this file?
>
> Thanks in advance.
Paputxi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: SYM_REGISTRY_BACKUP.reg Question
Posted: 06-25-2008, 12:39 AM
Thanks, Mark. Sounds like I can safely delete it then since it is just a
backup.

"Mark" wrote:
> http://solutions.symantec.com/sdccom...080528170617EN
>
> It is a backup copy of your registry created by Symantec's Norton Utilities.
>
>
> "Paputxi" <Paputxi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:489C06DA-A843-457F-9511-BF13715C341A@microsoft.com...
> >I just noticed a file in C:\ named SYM_REGISTRY_BACKUP.reg, dated 4/22008.
> > It is quite large (223MB) so I wanted to delete it to free up some space.
> > Searching the Internet, I can't tell if it is part of a virus or it I can
> > safely delete it without breaking some legit working program (assuming it
> > is
> > not virus related). I scanned it with Norton and it says it is ok. Does
> > anyone know anything about this file?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
>
Mark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: SYM_REGISTRY_BACKUP.reg Question
Posted: 06-25-2008, 01:53 AM
No problem.

While safe to delete, please make sure you have a backup somewhere such as
an external drive backup, restore function enabled, etc. Always easier to
recover a backup than to start over.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paputxi" <Paputxi@discussions.microsoft.com>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 7:39 PM
Subject: Re: SYM_REGISTRY_BACKUP.reg Question

> Thanks, Mark. Sounds like I can safely delete it then since it is just a
> backup.
Mick Murphy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: SYM_REGISTRY_BACKUP.reg Question
Posted: 06-25-2008, 09:43 AM
If you delete it, and encounter an error, you have deleted the backup to fix
the problem, lol.
Leave it alone!!!!!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia


"Paputxi" wrote:
> Thanks, Mark. Sounds like I can safely delete it then since it is just a
> backup.
>
> "Mark" wrote:
>
> > http://solutions.symantec.com/sdccom...080528170617EN
> >
> > It is a backup copy of your registry created by Symantec's Norton Utilities.
> >
> >
> > "Paputxi" <Paputxi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:489C06DA-A843-457F-9511-BF13715C341A@microsoft.com...
> > >I just noticed a file in C:\ named SYM_REGISTRY_BACKUP.reg, dated 4/22008.
> > > It is quite large (223MB) so I wanted to delete it to free up some space.
> > > Searching the Internet, I can't tell if it is part of a virus or it I can
> > > safely delete it without breaking some legit working program (assuming it
> > > is
> > > not virus related). I scanned it with Norton and it says it is ok. Does
> > > anyone know anything about this file?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> >
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question:Where are the kbhasi Windows Vista Administration 1 07-29-2007 01:40 PM
Question different shells - newbie question PJC Windows XP Embedded 1 11-25-2003 11:04 PM
Another Fax question Leonid Kizelshteyn Windows XP Printers / Scanners / Fax 1 08-07-2003 12:07 AM
FAQ Question Cari \(MS-MVP\) Windows XP Printers / Scanners / Fax 1 08-01-2003 08:24 PM
XPe License Question - For the Microsoft Question Michael David Windows XP Embedded 0 07-24-2003 02:11 AM