Transfer NFTP File over LAN to FAT32 Machine?

Posted: 03-12-2009, 04:37 PM
I've been using W2K machines for years with FAT32 file systems. Now I have
added an XPPro machine with an NTFS file system (which I don't yet fully
understand) to my LAN with two of the old W2K machines, which NetBEUI for
file sharing. (I installed a copy of W2K NetBEUI on the XP machine, as
recommended on the Web, and it seems to work properly.) Copying files from a
shared directory on the NTFS machine across the LAN to a FAT32 machine, I get
the following warning:

>>
Confirm Stream Loss

The file '[filename]' contains more than one data stream, but the
destination volume does not support this feature. Some data will not be
preserved as a result.

Information that will not be preserved includes:
:Zone.Identifier:$DATA
<<


I suppose that I'm losing permissions and other NTFS properties in this
process. The question is, am I losing any of the file itself? In general,
are there any pitfalls to this process?

Transfer NFTP File over LAN to FAT32 Machine?


Responses to "Transfer NFTP File over LAN to FAT32 Machine?"

Zaphod Beeblebrox
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Transfer NFTP File over LAN to FAT32 Machine?
Posted: 03-12-2009, 07:26 PM

"JCW" <JCW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:88938CEE-0FA1-461F-BCF0-5A46DEE376E8@microsoft.com...
> I've been using W2K machines for years with FAT32 file systems. Now
> I have
> added an XPPro machine with an NTFS file system (which I don't yet
> fully
> understand) to my LAN with two of the old W2K machines, which
> NetBEUI for
> file sharing. (I installed a copy of W2K NetBEUI on the XP machine,
> as
> recommended on the Web, and it seems to work properly.) Copying
> files from a
> shared directory on the NTFS machine across the LAN to a FAT32
> machine, I get
> the following warning:
>
>
>>>
> Confirm Stream Loss
>
> The file '[filename]' contains more than one data stream, but the
> destination volume does not support this feature. Some data will
> not be
> preserved as a result.
>
> Information that will not be preserved includes:
> :Zone.Identifier:$DATA
> <<
>
>
> I suppose that I'm losing permissions and other NTFS properties in
> this
> process. The question is, am I losing any of the file itself? In
> general,
> are there any pitfalls to this process?
>
No, you've pretty much nailed it. File contents will not be affected,
NTFS permissions go away, as well as the "Alternate Data Streams"
(Google that for a full explanation). The most you will lose is the
annoying prompt from Windows asking you if you want to run this file
and warning you that "While files from the internet can be useful,
this file type can potentially harm your computer". You know the
one... :-).

--
Zaphod

Arthur: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's
something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the
universe gets that.


JCW
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Transfer NFTP File over LAN to FAT32 Machine?
Posted: 03-13-2009, 01:03 AM
Thanks, Zaphod. If I may be permitted a slightly off-topic follow-up
question: What about doing image backups with commercial software (say,
ShadowProtect, whose user guide doesn't seem to address the issue) from the
NTFS XP computer to a FAT32 external hard drive. (I'm already using it to
back up the FAT32 W2K machines.) Will that work, or do I need to create a
NTFS partition on the external drive first? -- Thanks again! -- JCW



"Zaphod Beeblebrox" wrote:

> No, you've pretty much nailed it. File contents will not be affected,
> NTFS permissions go away, as well as the "Alternate Data Streams"
> (Google that for a full explanation). The most you will lose is the
> annoying prompt from Windows asking you if you want to run this file
> and warning you that "While files from the internet can be useful,
> this file type can potentially harm your computer". You know the
> one... :-).
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Transfer NFTP File over LAN to FAT32 Machine?
Posted: 03-13-2009, 12:03 PM

"JCW" <JCW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5E1CDB0F-756A-48DB-A7F3-6DE1858B400A@microsoft.com...
> Thanks, Zaphod. If I may be permitted a slightly off-topic
> follow-up
> question: What about doing image backups with commercial software
> (say,
> ShadowProtect, whose user guide doesn't seem to address the issue)
> from the
> NTFS XP computer to a FAT32 external hard drive. (I'm already using
> it to
> back up the FAT32 W2K machines.) Will that work, or do I need to
> create a
> NTFS partition on the external drive first? -- Thanks again! -- JCW
>
>
I'm not specifically familiar with ShadowProtect, but if by image
backups you mean it takes a snapshot of the drive and saves it as a
single, large file (similar to Ghost), then that should work fine.
The backup software should have a built-in method of preserving the
NTFS permissions and such. Using Ghost, I've never had a problem
saving images of NTFS drives to FAT32 media.

--
Zaphod

Vell, Zaphod's just zis guy, ya know? - Gag Halfrunt


 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slow file Transfer From Xp to Vista Machine Dani Windows Vista Networking & Sharing 5 04-04-2007 01:57 PM
Easy File Transfer doesn't transfer SideBar Gadgets? Per Salmi Windows Vista Install & Setup 3 03-28-2007 12:39 AM
Profile Transfer (same machine) Justin Windows XP Configuration & Management 1 12-03-2004 05:17 PM
Using File and System Transfer Wizard (FAST) to transfer - W95 -> XP oscarmok Windows XP Setup 0 10-27-2004 07:30 PM
Network XP to a Dos machine for file transfer Steve Winograd [MVP] Windows XP Network & Web 0 07-22-2003 03:57 PM