trouble adding to Restricted sites in IE Options

Posted: 02-02-2009, 10:09 PM

Vista home premium, SP1
Internet explorer 7.0.6001.18000

attempting to add an address to the Restricted sites in the security tab of
Internet Options.
specific site is search.live.com, but applies to any other as well.

response is that Sites added to this zone must use the https// prefix. This
assures a secure connection.
That response is expected when adding to the Trusted sites, not the
restricted sites.

I have in the past added sites to the Restricted sites, currently there are
three sites in the list
*.intellitext.com
*.kontra.com
*.pulse360.com
none of which have prefix of https:\\

Any clues as to what is happening would be welcome.

Michael




trouble adding to Restricted sites in IE Options


Responses to "trouble adding to Restricted sites in IE Options"

Kayman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: trouble adding to Restricted sites in IE Options
Posted: 02-03-2009, 12:08 AM
On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 17:09:36 -0500, Michael Walraven wrote:
> Vista home premium, SP1
> Internet explorer 7.0.6001.18000
>
> attempting to add an address to the Restricted sites in the security tab of
> Internet Options.
> specific site is search.live.com, but applies to any other as well.
>
> response is that Sites added to this zone must use the https// prefix. This
> assures a secure connection.
> That response is expected when adding to the Trusted sites, not the
> restricted sites.
>
> I have in the past added sites to the Restricted sites, currently there are
> three sites in the list
> *.intellitext.com
> *.kontra.com
> *.pulse360.com
> none of which have prefix of https:\\
> Any clues as to what is happening would be welcome.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildcard_character
http://www.linfo.org/wildcard.html
Michael Walraven
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: trouble adding to Restricted sites in IE Options
Posted: 02-03-2009, 12:18 AM
I have actually tried *.search.live.com, as well as *.live.com, system still
insists I need to prefix with https:\\

Michael

"Kayman" <kayhkay-nospam-@operamail.com> wrote in message
news:rgysq476gj7d.dcthomgtv063.dlg@40tude.net...
> On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 17:09:36 -0500, Michael Walraven wrote:
>
>> Vista home premium, SP1
>> Internet explorer 7.0.6001.18000
>>
>> attempting to add an address to the Restricted sites in the security tab
>> of
>> Internet Options.
>> specific site is search.live.com, but applies to any other as well.
>>
>> response is that Sites added to this zone must use the https// prefix.
>> This
>> assures a secure connection.
>> That response is expected when adding to the Trusted sites, not the
>> restricted sites.
>>
>> I have in the past added sites to the Restricted sites, currently there
>> are
>> three sites in the list
>> *.intellitext.com
>> *.kontra.com
>> *.pulse360.com
>> none of which have prefix of https:\\
>> Any clues as to what is happening would be welcome.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildcard_character
> http://www.linfo.org/wildcard.html
Victek
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: trouble adding to Restricted sites in IE Options
Posted: 02-03-2009, 03:27 AM
> I have actually tried *.search.live.com, as well as *.live.com, system
> still insists I need to prefix with https:\\
>
> Michael
>
You could try resetting all security settings to "default" to rule out the
possibility that a setting change is causing the problem. You could also
try installing SpywareBlaster which can add a list of known bad sites to the
restricted sites list (see if it succeeds).


Michael Walraven
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: trouble adding to Restricted sites in IE Options
Posted: 02-03-2009, 03:59 AM
Tried resetting each of the zones, no effect on the problem of adding a site
to the Restricted sites.
Downloaded SpywareBlaster, it successfully added a big bunch of sites into
the restricted sites list.

Thanks for input.
Michael


"Victek" <Victek@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:C499F66D-9AB1-4E14-A6E7-4EEEA20E7B25@microsoft.com...
>> I have actually tried *.search.live.com, as well as *.live.com, system
>> still insists I need to prefix with https:\\
>>
>> Michael
>>
> You could try resetting all security settings to "default" to rule out the
> possibility that a setting change is causing the problem. You could also
> try installing SpywareBlaster which can add a list of known bad sites to
> the restricted sites list (see if it succeeds).
>
>
Thomas Wendell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: trouble adding to Restricted sites in IE Options
Posted: 02-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Did you Un-check the "Require https:// .." at the bottom (under the list of
trusted pages)?


--
Thomas Wendell
Helsinki, Finland
Translations to/from FI not always accurate



"Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> kirjoitti
viestissä:uvVwkPbhJHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Tried resetting each of the zones, no effect on the problem of adding a
> site to the Restricted sites.
> Downloaded SpywareBlaster, it successfully added a big bunch of sites into
> the restricted sites list.
>
> Thanks for input.
> Michael
>
>
> "Victek" <Victek@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> news:C499F66D-9AB1-4E14-A6E7-4EEEA20E7B25@microsoft.com...
>>> I have actually tried *.search.live.com, as well as *.live.com, system
>>> still insists I need to prefix with https:\\
>>>
>>> Michael
>>>
>> You could try resetting all security settings to "default" to rule out
>> the possibility that a setting change is causing the problem. You could
>> also try installing SpywareBlaster which can add a list of known bad
>> sites to the restricted sites list (see if it succeeds).
>>
>>

Victek
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: trouble adding to Restricted sites in IE Options
Posted: 02-03-2009, 03:43 PM
> Did you Un-check the "Require https:// .." at the bottom (under the list
> of trusted pages)?
>
>
> --
> Thomas Wendell
> Helsinki, Finland
> Translations to/from FI not always accurate
>
I believe that option is only available for "Trusted Sites" and not
"Restricted Sites".

Victek
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: trouble adding to Restricted sites in IE Options
Posted: 02-03-2009, 03:46 PM
> Tried resetting each of the zones, no effect on the problem of adding a
> site to the Restricted sites.
> Downloaded SpywareBlaster, it successfully added a big bunch of sites into
> the restricted sites list.
>
> Thanks for input.
> Michael
>
Glad to hear that SpywareBlaster worked, but I don't know why you can't add
the sites manually. I just tried it on my system and it accepted the entry
without complaint. I am also using Vista SP1 and IE7. I don't know if this
is relevant, but are you running an Admin or Limited User account?

Michael Walraven
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: trouble adding to Restricted sites in IE Options
Posted: 02-03-2009, 05:15 PM
yup, tried that although I am trying to enter into the untrusted
(restricted) sites, I thought there might be some sort of link.

"Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:e8VkT9ghJHA.3728@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Did you Un-check the "Require https:// .." at the bottom (under the list
> of trusted pages)?
>
>
> --
> Thomas Wendell
> Helsinki, Finland
> Translations to/from FI not always accurate
>
>
>
> "Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> kirjoitti
> viestissä:uvVwkPbhJHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> Tried resetting each of the zones, no effect on the problem of adding a
>> site to the Restricted sites.
>> Downloaded SpywareBlaster, it successfully added a big bunch of sites
>> into the restricted sites list.
>>
>> Thanks for input.
>> Michael
>>
>>
>> "Victek" <Victek@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> news:C499F66D-9AB1-4E14-A6E7-4EEEA20E7B25@microsoft.com...
>>>> I have actually tried *.search.live.com, as well as *.live.com, system
>>>> still insists I need to prefix with https:\\
>>>>
>>>> Michael
>>>>
>>> You could try resetting all security settings to "default" to rule out
>>> the possibility that a setting change is causing the problem. You could
>>> also try installing SpywareBlaster which can add a list of known bad
>>> sites to the restricted sites list (see if it succeeds).
>>>
>>>
>
>
Michael Walraven
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: trouble adding to Restricted sites in IE Options
Posted: 02-03-2009, 05:17 PM
My account is a member of the administrators. HMMM I wonder if a different
account might work??? I will give that a try.

Thanks for ideas, even for those that don't work out.
Michael


"Victek" <Victek@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:E8B8D7D0-15C9-46A7-A68D-85B020E404CD@microsoft.com...
>> Tried resetting each of the zones, no effect on the problem of adding a
>> site to the Restricted sites.
>> Downloaded SpywareBlaster, it successfully added a big bunch of sites
>> into the restricted sites list.
>>
>> Thanks for input.
>> Michael
>>
> Glad to hear that SpywareBlaster worked, but I don't know why you can't
> add the sites manually. I just tried it on my system and it accepted the
> entry without complaint. I am also using Vista SP1 and IE7. I don't know
> if this is relevant, but are you running an Admin or Limited User account?
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Restricted sites Brad Windows XP Security & Administration 3 04-11-2009 02:48 AM
IE Restricted Sites File denis Customize Windows XP 1 10-28-2004 05:24 AM
Restricted Sites Help Please John Brad Windows XP Basics 1 09-23-2003 08:39 PM
Can't get into restricted sites jan gordon Windows XP 2 08-23-2003 07:13 PM
restricted sites are programs or shortcuts Joe P Windows XP Security & Administration 0 08-23-2003 03:52 PM