unidentified program wants access to your computer

Posted: 01-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Hello:
This seems to indicate that perhaps there is a way to allow identified
programs to access the computer.
After all, Microsoft Office suite does not trigger the UAC and it
read-writes to registry, etc...
So, what is available to allow Vista the "Identify" my program as safe,
leaving UAC alon.
Thanks
T

unidentified program wants access to your computer


Responses to "unidentified program wants access to your computer"

Charlie42
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: unidentified program wants access to your computer
Posted: 01-23-2008, 07:38 PM
"GADOI" <support@oci.com> wrote:
> This seems to indicate that perhaps there is a way to allow identified
> programs to access the computer.
> After all, Microsoft Office suite does not trigger the UAC and it
> read-writes to registry, etc...
> So, what is available to allow Vista the "Identify" my program as safe,
> leaving UAC alon.
You do not tell us when or how you get this message, but perhaps it is when
you install software, or run an application that requires administrator
privileges?

Windows Vista will give you such a message when a program is not digitally
signed by the developer (software company). There is not much you can do
about it. If you run the software deliberately, and know it to be safe
yourself, then you can ignore the message and proceed.

Charlie42

GADOI
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: unidentified program wants access to your computer
Posted: 01-24-2008, 12:18 PM
I solved this issue by digitally signing the application:
(https://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sh...81949&SiteID=1)

Now I am working with the UAC "a program needs your permission to continue"
This is when I first click on it to run. It seems like eventhough I do want
to know when apps run at administrative level, I do not want/need to know if
and when it is an app I created or I distribute for my company. So there
should be a way to let UAC know this is an "OK" app to run at that level...
then perhaps not.

Thanks






"Charlie42" <Charlie42@spam.me.not> wrote in message
news:2452C12F-9CE7-4D68-AD9A-AA37337DA495@microsoft.com...
> "GADOI" <support@oci.com> wrote:
>
>> This seems to indicate that perhaps there is a way to allow identified
>> programs to access the computer.
>> After all, Microsoft Office suite does not trigger the UAC and it
>> read-writes to registry, etc...
>> So, what is available to allow Vista the "Identify" my program as safe,
>> leaving UAC alon.
>
> You do not tell us when or how you get this message, but perhaps it is
> when you install software, or run an application that requires
> administrator privileges?
>
> Windows Vista will give you such a message when a program is not digitally
> signed by the developer (software company). There is not much you can do
> about it. If you run the software deliberately, and know it to be safe
> yourself, then you can ignore the message and proceed.
>
> Charlie42
Charlie42
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: unidentified program wants access to your computer
Posted: 01-24-2008, 02:54 PM
"GADOI" <support@oci.com> wrote:
>I solved this issue by digitally signing the application:
> (https://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sh...81949&SiteID=1)
Sorry, I didn't realize you were asking as a developer.
> Now I am working with the UAC "a program needs your permission to
> continue"
> This is when I first click on it to run. It seems like eventhough I do
> want to know when apps run at administrative level, I do not want/need to
> know if and when it is an app I created or I distribute for my company.
> So there should be a way to let UAC know this is an "OK" app to run at
> that level... then perhaps not.
The consent prompt is displayed when your application attempts to perform
some admin task. Since the introduction of UAC, writing apps that require
the least possible user rights, has become increasingly important. Take a
look on the Windows help file for further information, then head back over
to MSDN and the Developer Forums. I can perhaps help you with tweaking
Vista's UAC, but when it comes to developing software that complies with UAC
requirements, you'll find far better help at MSDN.

The Windows Help file:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo.../Top10Wave.exe


Charlie42

Charlie42
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: unidentified program wants access to your computer
Posted: 01-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Sorry, one link missing in my previous post (development requirements for
UAC):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Charlie42

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
User Accont Control and unidentified program issue at boot up nvhokie Windows Vista Administration 2 11-03-2007 10:08 PM
User Account Control and unidentified program at start up nvhokie Windows Vista Security 2 11-03-2007 10:06 PM
an unidentified program wants to access your computer john Windows Vista Administration 3 08-02-2007 10:22 AM
UAC: Vista Mainataince Programs-> unidentified program wants acces Delphic Windows Vista Security 1 03-05-2007 05:34 PM
Why ask every time? An unidentified program bla... Peerke Windows Vista Security 12 02-14-2007 09:35 PM