Unsecurity help

Posted: 03-30-2007, 01:38 PM
I am new to Vista (like most humans), but I've been messing with computers
since the TRaSh-80 days. I am finding it frustration for Microsoft to be
telling me that I do not have permission or access to a file or Folder, when
it's in MY computer. I've heard the stories about Microsoft making Vista
more secure. The only ones that Vista is secure from is from us (the
users).

I'd like very much to know how I can tell MY copy of Vista that is in MY
computer that I have permission and access to every Folder and every file in
it. Is that to much to ask for? I'm the only user, so I'm also the
Administrator. I don't want to rewrite the OS. I just want
access/permission.

I am not a five year old playing with my "daddy's" computer. Let daddy
worry about who has access to his own computer. In case Microsoft has
forget, the "P" in PC stands for PERSONAL. Let Microsoft come out with a
"FC" version of Vista (Family Computer). Put all the Parent Control,
multi-user, and Folder/file restrictions in that. Then, take the PC version
of Vista back to the days where a user could actually use his/her computer.
If I blow up my C: drive, well that is really what backups and reinstalls
are for. If I tried to reformat my C: drive and reinstall Vista (because
Microsoft is blocking me from access to what I want/need to get to),
Microsoft will tell me that I have installed my copy of the OS to many
times. Then, I'll need to by another copy of Vista.

Have you tried to activate the System Restore function? Mine will not work.
Lucky me! Vista comes out with a pretext of there being a power
interruption or some such BS. And, none of the copies of System Backups
work. So, where does that leave me? Reinstall? How long will that last,
before Microsoft requires me to buy another copy of Vista?

Hay, Microsoft! I've get an idea. Doesn't each computer/CPU has a unique
number (something like a car with its VIN). If, at activation time, you
matched the computer "VIN" number with your Key, then a user could reinstall
the OS everyday if necessary and you would know that it is being reinstalled
on one and only computer. I know that makes to much sense. MS will never
go for it. It might cut back on their profits.

Well guys. Even if nobody reads this, I've blown off some steam. If your
are still with me, then maybe you know how I feel. IF this is news to you,
then have you got a lot to learn.

Until next time..happy computing...


Unsecurity help


Responses to "Unsecurity help"

JerryM \(ID\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Unsecurity help
Posted: 03-30-2007, 02:41 PM
Apparently your User Access Control is on,

You can turn it off temporarily so you can make changes to your programs.
Go to Control panel - Classic view, User accounts.
Click - turn user account On or Off.
Uncheck - use user account control ..........
Click OK.

"William Beard" <wabeard6596@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:BBE1E557-5469-4A36-98CE-C2F6B7043D6D@microsoft.com...
>I am new to Vista (like most humans), but I've been messing with computers
>since the TRaSh-80 days. I am finding it frustration for Microsoft to be
>telling me that I do not have permission or access to a file or Folder,
>when it's in MY computer. I've heard the stories about Microsoft making
>Vista more secure. The only ones that Vista is secure from is from us (the
>users).
>
> I'd like very much to know how I can tell MY copy of Vista that is in MY
> computer that I have permission and access to every Folder and every file
> in it. Is that to much to ask for? I'm the only user, so I'm also the
> Administrator. I don't want to rewrite the OS. I just want
> access/permission.
>
> I am not a five year old playing with my "daddy's" computer. Let daddy
> worry about who has access to his own computer. In case Microsoft has
> forget, the "P" in PC stands for PERSONAL. Let Microsoft come out with a
> "FC" version of Vista (Family Computer). Put all the Parent Control,
> multi-user, and Folder/file restrictions in that. Then, take the PC
> version of Vista back to the days where a user could actually use his/her
> computer. If I blow up my C: drive, well that is really what backups and
> reinstalls are for. If I tried to reformat my C: drive and reinstall
> Vista (because Microsoft is blocking me from access to what I want/need to
> get to), Microsoft will tell me that I have installed my copy of the OS to
> many times. Then, I'll need to by another copy of Vista.
>
> Have you tried to activate the System Restore function? Mine will not
> work. Lucky me! Vista comes out with a pretext of there being a power
> interruption or some such BS. And, none of the copies of System Backups
> work. So, where does that leave me? Reinstall? How long will that last,
> before Microsoft requires me to buy another copy of Vista?
>
> Hay, Microsoft! I've get an idea. Doesn't each computer/CPU has a unique
> number (something like a car with its VIN). If, at activation time, you
> matched the computer "VIN" number with your Key, then a user could
> reinstall the OS everyday if necessary and you would know that it is being
> reinstalled on one and only computer. I know that makes to much sense.
> MS will never go for it. It might cut back on their profits.
>
> Well guys. Even if nobody reads this, I've blown off some steam. If your
> are still with me, then maybe you know how I feel. IF this is news to
> you, then have you got a lot to learn.
>
> Until next time..happy computing...
>
>
Frosty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: Unsecurity help
Posted: 03-30-2007, 04:58 PM
It might leave you where it is leaving others, looking very seriously at
Linux or BSD.

CB

"William Beard" wrote:
> I am new to Vista (like most humans), but I've been messing with computers
> since the TRaSh-80 days. I am finding it frustration for Microsoft to be
> telling me that I do not have permission or access to a file or Folder, when
> it's in MY computer. I've heard the stories about Microsoft making Vista
> more secure. The only ones that Vista is secure from is from us (the
> users).
>
> I'd like very much to know how I can tell MY copy of Vista that is in MY
> computer that I have permission and access to every Folder and every file in
> it. Is that to much to ask for? I'm the only user, so I'm also the
> Administrator. I don't want to rewrite the OS. I just want
> access/permission.
>
> I am not a five year old playing with my "daddy's" computer. Let daddy
> worry about who has access to his own computer. In case Microsoft has
> forget, the "P" in PC stands for PERSONAL. Let Microsoft come out with a
> "FC" version of Vista (Family Computer). Put all the Parent Control,
> multi-user, and Folder/file restrictions in that. Then, take the PC version
> of Vista back to the days where a user could actually use his/her computer.
> If I blow up my C: drive, well that is really what backups and reinstalls
> are for. If I tried to reformat my C: drive and reinstall Vista (because
> Microsoft is blocking me from access to what I want/need to get to),
> Microsoft will tell me that I have installed my copy of the OS to many
> times. Then, I'll need to by another copy of Vista.
>
> Have you tried to activate the System Restore function? Mine will not work.
> Lucky me! Vista comes out with a pretext of there being a power
> interruption or some such BS. And, none of the copies of System Backups
> work. So, where does that leave me? Reinstall? How long will that last,
> before Microsoft requires me to buy another copy of Vista?
>
> Hay, Microsoft! I've get an idea. Doesn't each computer/CPU has a unique
> number (something like a car with its VIN). If, at activation time, you
> matched the computer "VIN" number with your Key, then a user could reinstall
> the OS everyday if necessary and you would know that it is being reinstalled
> on one and only computer. I know that makes to much sense. MS will never
> go for it. It might cut back on their profits.
>
> Well guys. Even if nobody reads this, I've blown off some steam. If your
> are still with me, then maybe you know how I feel. IF this is news to you,
> then have you got a lot to learn.
>
> Until next time..happy computing...
>
>
William Beard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Unsecurity help
Posted: 03-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks Jerry, but that was one of the first things to go. That dumb User
Access Control asking me for permission every time I tried to do something.
That might apply on a multi-user system where the System Administrator was
alerted every time a user did something they weren't meant to do. I could
appreciate it, if the system caught something trying to come in from
outside, but that is not what it is meant to do. It is designed to question
you on something coming from the keyboard. Check out the title "User"
Access Control. They want to cause users heartburn. That is not security
that's harassment. Granted, if you are a little old housewife somewhere
uses her computer to checkout the latest recipes (no offense ladies), then
you probably don't even notice that the User Access Control exists. As you
might have guessed, I am not a little old housewife!

However, even with it turned off, the system is still blocking me at every
turn. Even when I try to change the permissions, sometimes it works but
mostly it doesn't.


"JerryM (ID)" <jerrym526@msn.org> wrote in message
news:6A1890B2-44B2-4660-BD87-73B18B7C4BF6@microsoft.com...
> Apparently your User Access Control is on,
>
> You can turn it off temporarily so you can make changes to your programs.
> Go to Control panel - Classic view, User accounts.
> Click - turn user account On or Off.
> Uncheck - use user account control ..........
> Click OK.
>
William Beard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Unsecurity help
Posted: 03-30-2007, 05:52 PM
Frosty, you opened that door. Go through it. Where would someone go, if
they were so inclined to checkout Linux or BSD.

Sun's Solaris is the only OS I know of. Of course, it's FREE.
It's at http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/...perability.jsp.
As for Interoperability, Microsoft does have a tie-in with Sun.

What can you add to this? ***Hey folks, we've got a challenge going on
here!



"Frosty" <Frosty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B9222AA9-B10A-4511-8D57-0215BFE53C7A@microsoft.com...
> It might leave you where it is leaving others, looking very seriously at
> Linux or BSD.
>
> CB
>
JerryM \(ID\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Unsecurity help
Posted: 03-30-2007, 06:05 PM
William,

It looks like this is one of the problems that still needs to be solved,
They didn't make it easy that's for sure,
Sorry I couldn't help,

Jerry

"William Beard" <wabeard6596@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:B789A6BA-DCB4-4EEF-B4AB-2EAFFA6CAB6E@microsoft.com...
> Thanks Jerry, but that was one of the first things to go. That dumb User
> Access Control asking me for permission every time I tried to do
> something. That might apply on a multi-user system where the System
> Administrator was alerted every time a user did something they weren't
> meant to do. I could appreciate it, if the system caught something trying
> to come in from outside, but that is not what it is meant to do. It is
> designed to question you on something coming from the keyboard. Check out
> the title "User" Access Control. They want to cause users heartburn.
> That is not security that's harassment. Granted, if you are a little old
> housewife somewhere uses her computer to checkout the latest recipes (no
> offense ladies), then you probably don't even notice that the User Access
> Control exists. As you might have guessed, I am not a little old
> housewife!
>
> However, even with it turned off, the system is still blocking me at every
> turn. Even when I try to change the permissions, sometimes it works but
> mostly it doesn't.
>
>
> "JerryM (ID)" <jerrym526@msn.org> wrote in message
> news:6A1890B2-44B2-4660-BD87-73B18B7C4BF6@microsoft.com...
>> Apparently your User Access Control is on,
>>
>> You can turn it off temporarily so you can make changes to your programs.
>> Go to Control panel - Classic view, User accounts.
>> Click - turn user account On or Off.
>> Uncheck - use user account control ..........
>> Click OK.
>>
>
Kirk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Unsecurity help
Posted: 03-30-2007, 06:57 PM
Maybe that's you're problem. You've been "messing" with computers rather
than working with them. I've been running with Vista since Beta days and
really haven't had a whole lot of problem copying, moving, or creating files
in directories that I should be working in. Certain directories should be
off-limits to people that "mess" around, total their system then rant and
rave about how bad a Microsoft OS is. Did you ever stop to think that maybe
all that "unsecurity" is helping you keep from "messing" up your computer.

But not to worry. You'll always find support from Microsoft bashers here.

"William Beard" <wabeard6596@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:BBE1E557-5469-4A36-98CE-C2F6B7043D6D@microsoft.com...
>I am new to Vista (like most humans), but I've been messing with computers
>since the TRaSh-80 days. I am finding it frustration for Microsoft to be
>telling me that I do not have permission or access to a file or Folder,
>when it's in MY computer. I've heard the stories about Microsoft making
>Vista more secure. The only ones that Vista is secure from is from us (the
>users).
>
> I'd like very much to know how I can tell MY copy of Vista that is in MY
> computer that I have permission and access to every Folder and every file
> in it. Is that to much to ask for? I'm the only user, so I'm also the
> Administrator. I don't want to rewrite the OS. I just want
> access/permission.
>
> I am not a five year old playing with my "daddy's" computer. Let daddy
> worry about who has access to his own computer. In case Microsoft has
> forget, the "P" in PC stands for PERSONAL. Let Microsoft come out with a
> "FC" version of Vista (Family Computer). Put all the Parent Control,
> multi-user, and Folder/file restrictions in that. Then, take the PC
> version of Vista back to the days where a user could actually use his/her
> computer. If I blow up my C: drive, well that is really what backups and
> reinstalls are for. If I tried to reformat my C: drive and reinstall
> Vista (because Microsoft is blocking me from access to what I want/need to
> get to), Microsoft will tell me that I have installed my copy of the OS to
> many times. Then, I'll need to by another copy of Vista.
>
> Have you tried to activate the System Restore function? Mine will not
> work. Lucky me! Vista comes out with a pretext of there being a power
> interruption or some such BS. And, none of the copies of System Backups
> work. So, where does that leave me? Reinstall? How long will that last,
> before Microsoft requires me to buy another copy of Vista?
>
> Hay, Microsoft! I've get an idea. Doesn't each computer/CPU has a unique
> number (something like a car with its VIN). If, at activation time, you
> matched the computer "VIN" number with your Key, then a user could
> reinstall the OS everyday if necessary and you would know that it is being
> reinstalled on one and only computer. I know that makes to much sense.
> MS will never go for it. It might cut back on their profits.
>
> Well guys. Even if nobody reads this, I've blown off some steam. If your
> are still with me, then maybe you know how I feel. IF this is news to
> you, then have you got a lot to learn.
>
> Until next time..happy computing...
>
>
William Beard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Unsecurity help
Posted: 03-30-2007, 07:32 PM
That's OK, Kirk. It's because of Beta testers like you that Microsoft
releases patches after patches after patches. As an engineer, I've been
messing with computers for thirty years. And, I got paid pretty good for it
too. I helped put in the internet worldwide. Yes, I mess around with
computers. And, it's because of people like me that Microsoft products
eventually improve.

But, you just keep your head in the sand. It's safer there.



"Kirk" <kirk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B62668A2-F082-4382-8AEE-125D38215F26@microsoft.com...
> Maybe that's you're problem. You've been "messing" with computers rather
> than working with them. I've been running with Vista since Beta days and
> really haven't had a whole lot of problem copying, moving, or creating
> files in directories that I should be working in. Certain directories
> should be off-limits to people that "mess" around, total their system then
> rant and rave about how bad a Microsoft OS is. Did you ever stop to think
> that maybe all that "unsecurity" is helping you keep from "messing" up
> your computer.
>
> But not to worry. You'll always find support from Microsoft bashers here.
>
Kirk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Unsecurity help
Posted: 03-30-2007, 08:41 PM
Whatever. I hope you were a sanitation engineer since you can't seem to
figure out Vista. I'd sure hate to be dependant on anything you helped
engineer. And if you did help "put in the internet worldwide," I guess it
was running wires.

"William Beard" <wabeard6596@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:Olhd9IwcHHA.648@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> That's OK, Kirk. It's because of Beta testers like you that Microsoft
> releases patches after patches after patches. As an engineer, I've been
> messing with computers for thirty years. And, I got paid pretty good for
> it too. I helped put in the internet worldwide. Yes, I mess around with
> computers. And, it's because of people like me that Microsoft products
> eventually improve.
>
> But, you just keep your head in the sand. It's safer there.
>
>
>
> "Kirk" <kirk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:B62668A2-F082-4382-8AEE-125D38215F26@microsoft.com...
>> Maybe that's you're problem. You've been "messing" with computers rather
>> than working with them. I've been running with Vista since Beta days and
>> really haven't had a whole lot of problem copying, moving, or creating
>> files in directories that I should be working in. Certain directories
>> should be off-limits to people that "mess" around, total their system
>> then rant and rave about how bad a Microsoft OS is. Did you ever stop to
>> think that maybe all that "unsecurity" is helping you keep from "messing"
>> up your computer.
>>
>> But not to worry. You'll always find support from Microsoft bashers
>> here.
>>
>
Rock
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Unsecurity help
Posted: 04-02-2007, 02:24 AM
"William Beard" <wabeard6596@yahoo.com> wrote
>I am new to Vista (like most humans), but I've been messing with computers
>since the TRaSh-80 days. I am finding it frustration for Microsoft to be
>telling me that I do not have permission or access to a file or Folder,
>when it's in MY computer. I've heard the stories about Microsoft making
>Vista more secure. The only ones that Vista is secure from is from us (the
>users).
>
> I'd like very much to know how I can tell MY copy of Vista that is in MY
> computer that I have permission and access to every Folder and every file
> in it. Is that to much to ask for? I'm the only user, so I'm also the
> Administrator. I don't want to rewrite the OS. I just want
> access/permission.
>
> I am not a five year old playing with my "daddy's" computer. Let daddy
> worry about who has access to his own computer. In case Microsoft has
> forget, the "P" in PC stands for PERSONAL. Let Microsoft come out with a
> "FC" version of Vista (Family Computer). Put all the Parent Control,
> multi-user, and Folder/file restrictions in that. Then, take the PC
> version of Vista back to the days where a user could actually use his/her
> computer. If I blow up my C: drive, well that is really what backups and
> reinstalls are for. If I tried to reformat my C: drive and reinstall
> Vista (because Microsoft is blocking me from access to what I want/need to
> get to), Microsoft will tell me that I have installed my copy of the OS to
> many times. Then, I'll need to by another copy of Vista.
>
> Have you tried to activate the System Restore function? Mine will not
> work. Lucky me! Vista comes out with a pretext of there being a power
> interruption or some such BS. And, none of the copies of System Backups
> work. So, where does that leave me? Reinstall? How long will that last,
> before Microsoft requires me to buy another copy of Vista?
>
> Hay, Microsoft! I've get an idea. Doesn't each computer/CPU has a unique
> number (something like a car with its VIN). If, at activation time, you
> matched the computer "VIN" number with your Key, then a user could
> reinstall the OS everyday if necessary and you would know that it is being
> reinstalled on one and only computer. I know that makes to much sense.
> MS will never go for it. It might cut back on their profits.
>
> Well guys. Even if nobody reads this, I've blown off some steam. If your
> are still with me, then maybe you know how I feel. IF this is news to
> you, then have you got a lot to learn.
There is some confusion with respect to certain folders that have the same
names as in XP, and are there for compatibility reasons for older, legacy
apps. These are not folders, but junctions and don't contain any data, just
a pointer to the real folder where the data lies.

Any folder that is faded out, has the curved arrow on it and gives an access
denied message when trying to access it is one of those. An example is
Documents and Settings Folder. To see the folder to which a junction points
where the actual data is stored open an elevated command prompt, navigate to
the folder where the folder(s) in question are, and give the command
dir /al

Folders that are Junction points are designated <Junction> and the actual
folder is shown after the folder name in square brackets. For the Documents
and Settings folder it's C:\Users.

There is no reason to get access to these junction points because there is
nothing in there, and changing permissions on them can cause problems with
the legacy programs these folders are there for.

There is a paradigm shift with Vista. Don't think of the OS in the same way
you did with previous MS OSs. You might want to do some reading on what UAC
is about before turning it off. You don't need to disable it, just
understand what it does. It's not hard to work with it.

Confusion about Vista Features: What UAC Really Is
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...really-is.aspx

Why is Windows Vista always asking for my permission: An explanation of UAC
(User Account Control)
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/security/uac.aspx

Windows Vista User Account Control Step by Step Guide
http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump