User Accounts

Posted: 07-22-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm logged in as an Administrator (I think) but when I go to Control Panel,
User Accounts, Change your account type - I'm told that I'm a Standard User.

The window also tells me that another user on this computer must be
administrator before I can change the account type - there is another
administrator.

Does anyone know what's going on?

User Accounts


Responses to "User Accounts"

Malke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: User Accounts
Posted: 07-22-2008, 12:51 PM
John at Greyeye wrote:
> I'm logged in as an Administrator (I think) but when I go to Control
> Panel, User Accounts, Change your account type - I'm told that I'm a
> Standard User.
>
> The window also tells me that another user on this computer must be
> administrator before I can change the account type - there is another
> administrator.
>
> Does anyone know what's going on?
Since we can't see your system, I would guess that you are misinterpreting
something. But this is moot because you don't want to run in an account
with administrative privileges in Vista anyway. Create a new user account
with administrative privileges. Call it "Tech" or whatever (anything except
"Administrator"). With luck, you'll never log into this account. It's there
for elevation and emergency purposes only.

Now go into the User Accounts applet and look at your own user account, the
one you will use every day. Make sure it is a Standard user. If there is
any question, change the account type to Standard.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

John at Greyeye
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: User Accounts
Posted: 07-23-2008, 09:21 AM
HI Malke

Thanks for a quick response. I think a bit more background might help.

Our MSAccess application uses the 'Sendkeys' function which fails under
Vista. Microsoft helpline said we should turn off UAC and this seemed to cure
the problem.

If I am logged in as administrator and I try to change the UAC status, it is
not accepted. If I tick the box, click OK and then go back in again, the box
is still un-ticked.

However, if I go to Windows Security Center, and look in Other security
settings, the UAC is ON!

Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to create a new account whether I'm
logged in as administrator or not. When I go to 'User Accounts' and 'Manage
another account', there are no accounts listed in the box (even though I have
four setup). If I
click on 'Create a new account', I'm prompted to type in a name, then select
Standard or Administrator and then click on 'Create Account'. The screen
redraws and there are still no accounts in the window.

Any ideas?

Thanks

John



"Malke" wrote:
> John at Greyeye wrote:
>
> > I'm logged in as an Administrator (I think) but when I go to Control
> > Panel, User Accounts, Change your account type - I'm told that I'm a
> > Standard User.
> >
> > The window also tells me that another user on this computer must be
> > administrator before I can change the account type - there is another
> > administrator.
> >
> > Does anyone know what's going on?
>
> Since we can't see your system, I would guess that you are misinterpreting
> something. But this is moot because you don't want to run in an account
> with administrative privileges in Vista anyway. Create a new user account
> with administrative privileges. Call it "Tech" or whatever (anything except
> "Administrator"). With luck, you'll never log into this account. It's there
> for elevation and emergency purposes only.
>
> Now go into the User Accounts applet and look at your own user account, the
> one you will use every day. Make sure it is a Standard user. If there is
> any question, change the account type to Standard.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ
>
>
Malke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: User Accounts
Posted: 07-23-2008, 12:22 PM
John at Greyeye wrote:
> HI Malke
>
> Thanks for a quick response. I think a bit more background might help.
>
> Our MSAccess application uses the 'Sendkeys' function which fails under
> Vista. Microsoft helpline said we should turn off UAC and this seemed to
> cure the problem.
>
> If I am logged in as administrator and I try to change the UAC status, it
> is not accepted. If I tick the box, click OK and then go back in again,
> the box is still un-ticked.
>
> However, if I go to Windows Security Center, and look in Other security
> settings, the UAC is ON!
>
> Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to create a new account whether I'm
> logged in as administrator or not. When I go to 'User Accounts' and
> 'Manage another account', there are no accounts listed in the box (even
> though I have four setup). If I
> click on 'Create a new account', I'm prompted to type in a name, then
> select
> Standard or Administrator and then click on 'Create Account'. The screen
> redraws and there are still no accounts in the window.
I'm really not sure what you mean by "logged in as administrator" because
the built-in Administrator account in Vista is disabled by default.

I think it would be far smarter for you to change your MSAccess
application's coding to one that is compatible with the operating system
under which you want to run it, but that's your business. Here are two ways
of disabling UAC:

From MVP John Barnett:
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/turn_of...nt_control.htm

From MVP Daniel Petri (has even more ways if John's don't work for you):
http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
user accounts with different email accounts brat38 Windows Vista Networking & Sharing 0 05-10-2008 04:33 AM
user accounts don't show up on manage accounts DavidDuffy Windows Vista Administration 0 10-10-2007 11:30 PM
delete all user accounts, clean boot past choosing a user Bob Windows XP Configuration & Management 2 08-11-2007 05:26 PM
Standard user accounts can access files of other accounts??!! Ralf Windows Vista Administration 0 06-04-2007 10:53 AM
New accounts that I did not create appears when I pull up Control Panel --> User Accounts Zero Wolfe Windows XP Security & Administration 3 09-11-2003 06:02 PM