Utterly Bumfuzzled with a Bizarre WinXP Pro Network Problem

Posted: 08-05-2003, 03:50 PM
I have recently focused on (hopefully found) the cause of the problems
described in the section below. This involves a 6-computer (all running
WindowsXP Pro SP1) network connected by a LinkSys 4-port router and a 7-port
hub. Apparently, this is a NETWORK PROBLEM on only one of the 6 computers
in this LAN. Some of the computers that work properly network-wise all have
3 connections shown on the Network Connections dialogue. They read as
follows:

Local Area Connection Network Bridge Enabled, Bridged 3COM
EtherLink 10/100 P.
Network Bridge (Network Bridge)2 Network Bridge Enabled MAC
Bridge Miniport
1394 Connection Network Bridge Enabled, Bridged 1394
Net Adapter


The computer that simply cannot access the hard drive nor the printer on the
computer to which the printer is attached does not have all 3 of those
connections; it only has the Local Area Connection.

However, there is one other computer on this network that has the same
Network Connection (Local Area Connection only,) yet that computer has no
problem whatsoever accessing the hard drive and printer on the computer that
has the printer attached.

Nevertheless, I sincerely believe this is a NETWORK PROBLEM because the same
computer that cannot access the hard drive and printer on the computer where
that printer is attached will not install another Network Printer properly.

We also have a Hewlett Packard OfficeJet G85 All-in-One (AIO) Printer,
Scanner, Copier & Fax attached to the network by an HP JetDirect 170X server
which is plugged into the 7-port hub. In order for this AIO device to be
accessed by computers in the LAN, HP Drivers must be installed from an HP
Drivers CD for the G85 printer. Though various versions of those drivers
are around, I DO have the HP CD with drivers specifically for Windows XP.
And they install properly on all of the other 5 computers, and they used to
install properly on the 6th computer as well, but they won't now for some
reason. A critical part of that installation involves the driver
installation software searching the network for the G85 AIO device. It
always finds and installs the G85 on the other 5 computers, but it cannot
find the G85 on the same computer that cannot access the HP ScanJet 4 Plus.

A solution to this most perplexing network problem has thus far evaded me.
So, I shall indeed greatly appreciate your help in resolving this problem.
--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith



================================================== ==========================
===================
In a 6-computer (all running WindowsXP Pro SP1) network connected by a
LinkSys 4-port router and a 7-port hub, I have one HP LaserJet 4 Plus
printer connected to one computer. It works fine as a local printer on the
computer it's attached to. It also works fine on 4 other computers in this
network. I had no trouble Adding it as a network printer on those 4
computers, and it
works fine on all of them. However, as it now stands, one computer will not
let me add it because it keeps insisting that "The printer name is invalid.
Either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has
lost its connection to the server. For more information, click Help" As
usual Help is not helpful because it doesn't even address the subject of
network printers. The error message is very strange because the printer
name was GENERATED BY THE Add Printer Wizard, Browse for Printer dialogue on
the other 4 computers--not by me typing it.

Out of utter frustration, I finally reinstalled WindowsXP Pro on the one
computer that would not let me add the printer and had the WinXP
installation delete the only partition on that hard drive, add a new
partition for WinXP, then format the entire hard drive (not the quick
format) before reinstalling XP Pro. The first thing I tried to do after the
reinstallation finished was to install the printer (which is attached to
another computer on this LAN.) However, to my utter amazement, I got the
very SAME ERROR MESSAGE after the format and reinstallation of XP Pro that I
got beforehand. Yet, the computer IS properly networking in every other
regard. It sees (through My Network Places,) all other computers on the LAN
AND it can access files and folders on all of them.

Moreover, I find that this computer can't access any data on that computer's
hard drive either, regardless of the fact that it's setup to share files
with users on the network and my User Name is listed on that computer's
remote access entries. At the same time, this computer CAN access data on
all other computers on this LAN.

I shall very greatly appreciate your help on this frustrating problem.



Utterly Bumfuzzled with a Bizarre WinXP Pro Network Problem


Responses to "Utterly Bumfuzzled with a Bizarre WinXP Pro Network Problem"

Steve Winograd [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Utterly Bumfuzzled with a Bizarre WinXP Pro Network Problem
Posted: 08-05-2003, 06:05 PM
In article <#LkAal2WDHA.2392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, "AA Smith"
<AAADick@Comcast.net> wrote:
>I have recently focused on (hopefully found) the cause of the problems
>described in the section below. This involves a 6-computer (all running
>WindowsXP Pro SP1) network connected by a LinkSys 4-port router and a 7-port
>hub. Apparently, this is a NETWORK PROBLEM on only one of the 6 computers
>in this LAN. Some of the computers that work properly network-wise all have
>3 connections shown on the Network Connections dialogue. They read as
>follows:
>
>Local Area Connection Network Bridge Enabled, Bridged 3COM
>EtherLink 10/100 P.
>Network Bridge (Network Bridge)2 Network Bridge Enabled MAC
>Bridge Miniport
>1394 Connection Network Bridge Enabled, Bridged 1394
>Net Adapter
>
>The computer that simply cannot access the hard drive nor the printer on the
>computer to which the printer is attached does not have all 3 of those
>connections; it only has the Local Area Connection.
>
>However, there is one other computer on this network that has the same
>Network Connection (Local Area Connection only,) yet that computer has no
>problem whatsoever accessing the hard drive and printer on the computer that
>has the printer attached.
>
>Nevertheless, I sincerely believe this is a NETWORK PROBLEM because the same
>computer that cannot access the hard drive and printer on the computer where
>that printer is attached will not install another Network Printer properly.
>
>We also have a Hewlett Packard OfficeJet G85 All-in-One (AIO) Printer,
>Scanner, Copier & Fax attached to the network by an HP JetDirect 170X server
>which is plugged into the 7-port hub. In order for this AIO device to be
>accessed by computers in the LAN, HP Drivers must be installed from an HP
>Drivers CD for the G85 printer. Though various versions of those drivers
>are around, I DO have the HP CD with drivers specifically for Windows XP.
>And they install properly on all of the other 5 computers, and they used to
>install properly on the 6th computer as well, but they won't now for some
>reason. A critical part of that installation involves the driver
>installation software searching the network for the G85 AIO device. It
>always finds and installs the G85 on the other 5 computers, but it cannot
>find the G85 on the same computer that cannot access the HP ScanJet 4 Plus.
>
>A solution to this most perplexing network problem has thus far evaded me.
>So, I shall indeed greatly appreciate your help in resolving this problem.
I'm sorry, but I don't know what the problem is with the computer that
can't access the network properly. However, the problem isn't related
to having or not having a Network Bridge. The computers that have a
Network Bridge have two types of network adapter hardware installed:
Ethernet, and IEEE 1394 (FireWire). XP's Network Setup Wizard has
bridged those two physical network adapters into a single logical
network adapter. The problem computer doesn't have, and doesn't need,
an IEEE 1394 network adapter or a network bridge. I've written a web
page with details:

XP ICS - Network Bridge
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...workbridge.htm

Here are some general XP network troubleshooting tips that might help
get everything working:

1. Permanently disable XP's built-in Internet Connection Firewall on
local area network connections -- it's for use only on a direct modem
connection to the Internet. Disable and un-install all other
firewalls while troubleshooting. Details here:

Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...c_firewall.htm

2. Use only one protocol for File and Printer Sharing. If the network
needs more than one protocol, unbind File and Printer Sharing from all
but one of them. Details here:

Windows XP Network Protocols
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/..._protocols.htm

3. Make sure that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled on all computers.
Details here:

Enable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP (NetBT)
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...hoot/netbt.htm
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)

Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
AA Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Utterly Bumfuzzled with a Bizarre WinXP Pro Network Problem
Posted: 08-05-2003, 07:02 PM
Thanks, Steve! I appreciate the information on the Internet Connections. I
hadn't thought of the Firewire cards, since we rarely use them. I finally
posted this problem on Microsoft's Online Support pages. Since that process
uploads a wealth of information about my computer, hopefully a solution will
soon be forthcoming.

Again, thanks! I'll check out your web pages.
--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith

"Steve Winograd [MVP]" <winograd@pobox.com> wrote in message
news:brrvivsrjhrq0hvu2q5vg9ag458ainsvoa@4ax.com...
> In article <#LkAal2WDHA.2392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, "AA Smith"
> <AAADick@Comcast.net> wrote:
> >I have recently focused on (hopefully found) the cause of the problems
> >described in the section below. This involves a 6-computer (all running
> >WindowsXP Pro SP1) network connected by a LinkSys 4-port router and a
7-port
> >hub. Apparently, this is a NETWORK PROBLEM on only one of the 6
computers
> >in this LAN. Some of the computers that work properly network-wise all
have
> >3 connections shown on the Network Connections dialogue. They read as
> >follows:
> >
> >Local Area Connection Network Bridge Enabled, Bridged
3COM
> >EtherLink 10/100 P.
> >Network Bridge (Network Bridge)2 Network Bridge Enabled
MAC
> >Bridge Miniport
> >1394 Connection Network Bridge Enabled, Bridged
1394
> >Net Adapter
> >
> >The computer that simply cannot access the hard drive nor the printer on
the
> >computer to which the printer is attached does not have all 3 of those
> >connections; it only has the Local Area Connection.
> >
> >However, there is one other computer on this network that has the same
> >Network Connection (Local Area Connection only,) yet that computer has no
> >problem whatsoever accessing the hard drive and printer on the computer
that
> >has the printer attached.
> >
> >Nevertheless, I sincerely believe this is a NETWORK PROBLEM because the
same
> >computer that cannot access the hard drive and printer on the computer
where
> >that printer is attached will not install another Network Printer
properly.
> >
> >We also have a Hewlett Packard OfficeJet G85 All-in-One (AIO) Printer,
> >Scanner, Copier & Fax attached to the network by an HP JetDirect 170X
server
> >which is plugged into the 7-port hub. In order for this AIO device to be
> >accessed by computers in the LAN, HP Drivers must be installed from an HP
> >Drivers CD for the G85 printer. Though various versions of those drivers
> >are around, I DO have the HP CD with drivers specifically for Windows XP.
> >And they install properly on all of the other 5 computers, and they used
to
> >install properly on the 6th computer as well, but they won't now for some
> >reason. A critical part of that installation involves the driver
> >installation software searching the network for the G85 AIO device. It
> >always finds and installs the G85 on the other 5 computers, but it cannot
> >find the G85 on the same computer that cannot access the HP ScanJet 4
Plus.
> >
> >A solution to this most perplexing network problem has thus far evaded
me.
> >So, I shall indeed greatly appreciate your help in resolving this
problem.
>
> I'm sorry, but I don't know what the problem is with the computer that
> can't access the network properly. However, the problem isn't related
> to having or not having a Network Bridge. The computers that have a
> Network Bridge have two types of network adapter hardware installed:
> Ethernet, and IEEE 1394 (FireWire). XP's Network Setup Wizard has
> bridged those two physical network adapters into a single logical
> network adapter. The problem computer doesn't have, and doesn't need,
> an IEEE 1394 network adapter or a network bridge. I've written a web
> page with details:
>
> XP ICS - Network Bridge
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...workbridge.htm
>
> Here are some general XP network troubleshooting tips that might help
> get everything working:
>
> 1. Permanently disable XP's built-in Internet Connection Firewall on
> local area network connections -- it's for use only on a direct modem
> connection to the Internet. Disable and un-install all other
> firewalls while troubleshooting. Details here:
>
> Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...c_firewall.htm
>
> 2. Use only one protocol for File and Printer Sharing. If the network
> needs more than one protocol, unbind File and Printer Sharing from all
> but one of them. Details here:
>
> Windows XP Network Protocols
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/..._protocols.htm
>
> 3. Make sure that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled on all computers.
> Details here:
>
> Enable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP (NetBT)
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...hoot/netbt.htm
> --
> Best Wishes,
> Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)
>
> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
> for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
> addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.
>
> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

AA Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Utterly Bumfuzzled with a Bizarre WinXP Pro Network Problem
Posted: 08-05-2003, 09:24 PM
Good idea, Steve! I shall most certainly do so.
--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith
"Steve Winograd [MVP]" <winograd@pobox.com> wrote in message
news:muvviv4br50hp9cq3t6va3h4v6ksn5u98e@4ax.com...
> In article <uTRPaQ4WDHA.2476@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, "AA Smith"
> <AAADick@Comcast.net> wrote:
> >Thanks, Steve! I appreciate the information on the Internet Connections.
I
> >hadn't thought of the Firewire cards, since we rarely use them. I
finally
> >posted this problem on Microsoft's Online Support pages. Since that
process
> >uploads a wealth of information about my computer, hopefully a solution
will
> >soon be forthcoming.
> >
> >Again, thanks! I'll check out your web pages.
>
> You're welcome, AA. When you solve the problem, please post a reply
> describing the solution.
> --
> Best Wishes,
> Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)
>
> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
> for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
> addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.
>
> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

mild red
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Utterly Bumfuzzled with a Bizarre WinXP Pro Network Problem
Posted: 08-05-2003, 09:25 PM
From the description of your network it sounds like you
may have accidentally installed network bridging which
would be for a scenario where you are bridging two
networks together. You have a simple LAN setup. My guess
is that if you uninstall the network bridging and get
your systems configured for a simple tcp/ip lan you will
do just fine.

Good luck, mild red.
AA Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Utterly Bumfuzzled with a Bizarre WinXP Pro Network Problem
Posted: 08-07-2003, 08:59 PM
Will do, Steve. As yet, I haven't received a solution from the online
folks, though they are working on it.
--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith
"Steve Winograd [MVP]" <winograd@pobox.com> wrote in message
news:muvviv4br50hp9cq3t6va3h4v6ksn5u98e@4ax.com...
> In article <uTRPaQ4WDHA.2476@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, "AA Smith"
> <AAADick@Comcast.net> wrote:
> >Thanks, Steve! I appreciate the information on the Internet Connections.
I
> >hadn't thought of the Firewire cards, since we rarely use them. I
finally
> >posted this problem on Microsoft's Online Support pages. Since that
process
> >uploads a wealth of information about my computer, hopefully a solution
will
> >soon be forthcoming.
> >
> >Again, thanks! I'll check out your web pages.
>
> You're welcome, AA. When you solve the problem, please post a reply
> describing the solution.
> --
> Best Wishes,
> Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)
>
> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
> for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
> addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.
>
> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bizarre display / malfunctioning Guest Windows Vista 0 03-06-2008 02:01 PM
CPU usage, bizarre problem! Smoothy Windows XP Help & Support 0 09-04-2003 04:18 AM
winxp=problems with network mauricio Windows XP New Users 0 07-10-2003 07:35 PM
configuring network for win2000 to winXP Kat Windows XP Printers / Scanners / Fax 1 07-03-2003 04:51 AM