Very strange Vista behaviour after 9th Jan '08 Vista update

Posted: 01-09-2008, 08:23 PM
I'm running Vista home basic on a Toshiba L40 laptop, brand new laptop with
new Vista install, I've just run the automatic update tonight (9th Jan) which
installed the following updates;
KB905866
KB941644
KB890830
KB943302
KB943899
KB943411
MS Office '07 Service Pack (SP1)
As well as some Intel updates for the integral wireless cards.

As soon as the updates were installed my display started flashing rather
sporadically, it then changed resolution and between all that I got flashes
of what can only be described as black "smiley skulls", it happened twice and
it seemed Vista was having difficulty automatically restarted after the
updates installed.

If anyone else knows anything about this problem or has also encountered it
please let me know, if this isn't the right place to ask, please redirect me.

Many thanks,

Mr.JP

Very strange Vista behaviour after 9th Jan '08 Vista update


Responses to "Very strange Vista behaviour after 9th Jan '08 Vista update"

Jesper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: Very strange Vista behaviour after 9th Jan '08 Vista update
Posted: 01-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Did this problem go away when you rebooted the computer after it was updated?
---
Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20


"Mr.JP" wrote:
> I'm running Vista home basic on a Toshiba L40 laptop, brand new laptop with
> new Vista install, I've just run the automatic update tonight (9th Jan) which
> installed the following updates;
> KB905866
> KB941644
> KB890830
> KB943302
> KB943899
> KB943411
> MS Office '07 Service Pack (SP1)
> As well as some Intel updates for the integral wireless cards.
>
> As soon as the updates were installed my display started flashing rather
> sporadically, it then changed resolution and between all that I got flashes
> of what can only be described as black "smiley skulls", it happened twice and
> it seemed Vista was having difficulty automatically restarted after the
> updates installed.
>
> If anyone else knows anything about this problem or has also encountered it
> please let me know, if this isn't the right place to ask, please redirect me.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Mr.JP
Mr.JP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: Very strange Vista behaviour after 9th Jan '08 Vista update
Posted: 01-15-2008, 09:04 AM
Hi Jesper,

I haven't heard any more reports from the person using this laptop but all
the same I'm concerned there must be something on it working silently in the
background, keylogging, etc etc, can you or anyone suggest any useful tools
to scan and check on Vista?

Many thanks,

Mr.JP

"Jesper" wrote:
> Did this problem go away when you rebooted the computer after it was updated?
> ---
> Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20
>
>
> "Mr.JP" wrote:
>
> > I'm running Vista home basic on a Toshiba L40 laptop, brand new laptop with
> > new Vista install, I've just run the automatic update tonight (9th Jan) which
> > installed the following updates;
> > KB905866
> > KB941644
> > KB890830
> > KB943302
> > KB943899
> > KB943411
> > MS Office '07 Service Pack (SP1)
> > As well as some Intel updates for the integral wireless cards.
> >
> > As soon as the updates were installed my display started flashing rather
> > sporadically, it then changed resolution and between all that I got flashes
> > of what can only be described as black "smiley skulls", it happened twice and
> > it seemed Vista was having difficulty automatically restarted after the
> > updates installed.
> >
> > If anyone else knows anything about this problem or has also encountered it
> > please let me know, if this isn't the right place to ask, please redirect me.
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Mr.JP
Jesper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: Very strange Vista behaviour after 9th Jan '08 Vista update
Posted: 01-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Start by disconnecting it from your network. Then use your standard
anti-malware suite to scan it with.

Flickering of the screen is normal when installing video drivers. Skulls is
not.
---
Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20


"Mr.JP" wrote:
> Hi Jesper,
>
> I haven't heard any more reports from the person using this laptop but all
> the same I'm concerned there must be something on it working silently in the
> background, keylogging, etc etc, can you or anyone suggest any useful tools
> to scan and check on Vista?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Mr.JP
>
> "Jesper" wrote:
>
> > Did this problem go away when you rebooted the computer after it was updated?
> > ---
> > Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
> > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047...otectyourwi-20
> >
> >
> > "Mr.JP" wrote:
> >
> > > I'm running Vista home basic on a Toshiba L40 laptop, brand new laptop with
> > > new Vista install, I've just run the automatic update tonight (9th Jan) which
> > > installed the following updates;
> > > KB905866
> > > KB941644
> > > KB890830
> > > KB943302
> > > KB943899
> > > KB943411
> > > MS Office '07 Service Pack (SP1)
> > > As well as some Intel updates for the integral wireless cards.
> > >
> > > As soon as the updates were installed my display started flashing rather
> > > sporadically, it then changed resolution and between all that I got flashes
> > > of what can only be described as black "smiley skulls", it happened twice and
> > > it seemed Vista was having difficulty automatically restarted after the
> > > updates installed.
> > >
> > > If anyone else knows anything about this problem or has also encountered it
> > > please let me know, if this isn't the right place to ask, please redirect me.
> > >
> > > Many thanks,
> > >
> > > Mr.JP
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Very strange Vista behaviour after 9th Jan '08 Vista update
Posted: 01-15-2008, 09:34 PM
"Mr.JP" <MrJP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:36421887-1249-445F-8783-BDEB35B96F32@microsoft.com...
> Hi Jesper,
>
> I haven't heard any more reports from the person using this laptop but all
> the same I'm concerned there must be something on it working silently in
> the
> background, keylogging, etc etc, can you or anyone suggest any useful
> tools
> to scan and check on Vista?

Do a thorough check for malware, following all of the steps at one of these
Web pages.
Help with malware:
All MS-MVP Sites.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/darnit.html
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm

Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
For quite a few people it's by installing programs like Messenger Plus,
whose ads for malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince
you that you owe it to the author. See also:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=27971
Don't ever do a "default" install of anything. Always choose Custom and see
what else is being carried along. Don't install any extras you're not sure
of.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
www.fjsmjs.com
Do not reply with email

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strange behaviour of offline folders in Vista Business. Gonzalo Windows Vista Networking & Sharing 0 01-15-2008 10:11 PM
Strange behaviour when using IE7 on Vista Blue Arrow Windows Vista Security 5 07-08-2007 12:52 PM
STRANGE - Vista Can see internet in IE but no Windows Update James Windows Vista Networking & Sharing 0 10-11-2006 12:08 AM
Strange WMI behaviour Philip Colmer Windows XP WMI 0 08-11-2005 05:58 PM
strange ewf behaviour G.Roelant Windows XP Embedded 6 01-04-2005 02:46 PM