Viewing UDF

Posted: 07-20-2006, 03:59 PM
Hi,
I inserted a disc into my drive and found this readme.txt on it:

====
This disc uses the UDF file system.

You are currently looking at the ISO 9660 part
of this disc.

To read the content of this disc you have to
install an UDF file system reader.

For Windows 95 please run the program 'AUTORUN.EXE'
from the root directory of this disc.
====

How can I switch to the UDF part?

Thanks, Jan

Viewing UDF


Responses to "Viewing UDF"

Mark D. VandenBeg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Viewing UDF
Posted: 07-20-2006, 04:06 PM

"Jan Kucera" <kucera@lupacovka.cz> wrote in message
news9EC1137-0750-4473-9193-9CF244BFA1FE@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> I inserted a disc into my drive and found this readme.txt on it:
>
> ====
> This disc uses the UDF file system.
>
> You are currently looking at the ISO 9660 part of this disc.
>
> To read the content of this disc you have to install an UDF file system
> reader.
>
> For Windows 95 please run the program 'AUTORUN.EXE' from the root
> directory of this disc.
> ====
>
> How can I switch to the UDF part?
>
> Thanks, Jan
Hello Jan;

Just a guess here, but you transferred the file to a DVD. What you are
supposed to do is "Burn the image" to a DVD. Consult your DVD software for
how to do this. Also, check this website for more information about using
an unstable, incomplete operating system.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...y/preview.mspx


David J. Craig
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Viewing UDF
Posted: 07-21-2006, 03:56 AM
This is easy. Install Windows XP SP2 on an empty system where there is no
"Program Files", "Windows", or "Documents and Settings" directories. Look
at the DVD. Do not install any product from Nero, Roxio, or Sonic
Solutions - that also includes any CD and/or DVD creation software bundled
by HP, IBM, Compaq, Dell, etc.

"Jan Kucera" <kucera@lupacovka.cz> wrote in message
news9EC1137-0750-4473-9193-9CF244BFA1FE@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> I inserted a disc into my drive and found this readme.txt on it:
>
> ====
> This disc uses the UDF file system.
>
> You are currently looking at the ISO 9660 part of this disc.
>
> To read the content of this disc you have to install an UDF file system
> reader.
>
> For Windows 95 please run the program 'AUTORUN.EXE' from the root
> directory of this disc.
> ====
>
> How can I switch to the UDF part?
>
> Thanks, Jan

Jan Kucera
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Viewing UDF
Posted: 07-21-2006, 10:02 AM

"Mark D. VandenBeg" <mvan103@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23I2YwZBrGHA.3820@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>
> Hello Jan;
>
> Just a guess here, but you transferred the file to a DVD. What you are
> supposed to do is "Burn the image" to a DVD. Consult your DVD software
> for how to do this. Also, check this website for more information about
> using an unstable, incomplete operating system.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...y/preview.mspx
>
Hi Mark,
thanks for the guess, but I didn't burn this CD-RW, I just wanted to read
it. I expected that when Vista can write UDF it could also read or switch to
UDF when present.

Jan

Jan Kucera
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Viewing UDF
Posted: 07-21-2006, 10:03 AM

"David J. Craig" <Dave@yoshimuni.com> wrote in message
news:%23hsypmHrGHA.4100@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> This is easy. Install Windows XP SP2 on an empty system where there is no
> "Program Files", "Windows", or "Documents and Settings" directories. Look
> at the DVD. Do not install any product from Nero, Roxio, or Sonic
> Solutions - that also includes any CD and/or DVD creation software bundled
> by HP, IBM, Compaq, Dell, etc.
>
You mean I cannot read it on Vista?
Jan

Geoff
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Viewing UDF
Posted: 07-21-2006, 11:36 AM

"Jan Kucera" <kucera@lupacovka.cz> wrote in message
news:9B3CDAA7-A977-4BAD-BBF9-EC294D999D97@microsoft.com...
Haven't tried UDF on Vista myself, but if the software on your Disc won't
run, maybe you need the latest version

Go to "http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/udf/software_updates.html"
and download the UDF reader from there. It doesn't say if it is compatible
with Vista

> "David J. Craig" <Dave@yoshimuni.com> wrote in message
> news:%23hsypmHrGHA.4100@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> This is easy. Install Windows XP SP2 on an empty system where there is
>> no "Program Files", "Windows", or "Documents and Settings" directories.
>> Look at the DVD. Do not install any product from Nero, Roxio, or Sonic
>> Solutions - that also includes any CD and/or DVD creation software
>> bundled by HP, IBM, Compaq, Dell, etc.
>>
>
> You mean I cannot read it on Vista?
> Jan
David J. Craig
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Viewing UDF
Posted: 07-21-2006, 03:48 PM
I was assuming this was one of the new Vista DVDs. A UDF disk created by
Roxio's or Nero's UDF driver requires the reader be installed. They both
use non-standard variations of UDF and are incompatible with Vista's for the
moment. I quit using UDF for my own CDs and DVDs as it seemed to cause more
problems than it solved.

"Jan Kucera" <kucera@lupacovka.cz> wrote in message
news:9B3CDAA7-A977-4BAD-BBF9-EC294D999D97@microsoft.com...
>
> "David J. Craig" <Dave@yoshimuni.com> wrote in message
> news:%23hsypmHrGHA.4100@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> This is easy. Install Windows XP SP2 on an empty system where there is
>> no "Program Files", "Windows", or "Documents and Settings" directories.
>> Look at the DVD. Do not install any product from Nero, Roxio, or Sonic
>> Solutions - that also includes any CD and/or DVD creation software
>> bundled by HP, IBM, Compaq, Dell, etc.
>>
>
> You mean I cannot read it on Vista?
> Jan

Alan Simpson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Viewing UDF
Posted: 07-22-2006, 12:59 AM
LOL. So much for the "Universal" in UDF. Maybe Roxio and Nero should call it
PDF, for Proprietary. (Oh wait, then Adobe might sue).


"David J. Craig" <Dave@yoshimuni.com> wrote in message
news:u9JIV0NrGHA.4444@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>I was assuming this was one of the new Vista DVDs. A UDF disk created by
>Roxio's or Nero's UDF driver requires the reader be installed. They both
>use non-standard variations of UDF and are incompatible with Vista's for
>the moment. I quit using UDF for my own CDs and DVDs as it seemed to cause
>more problems than it solved.
>
> "Jan Kucera" <kucera@lupacovka.cz> wrote in message
> news:9B3CDAA7-A977-4BAD-BBF9-EC294D999D97@microsoft.com...
>>
>> "David J. Craig" <Dave@yoshimuni.com> wrote in message
>> news:%23hsypmHrGHA.4100@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>> This is easy. Install Windows XP SP2 on an empty system where there is
>>> no "Program Files", "Windows", or "Documents and Settings" directories.
>>> Look at the DVD. Do not install any product from Nero, Roxio, or Sonic
>>> Solutions - that also includes any CD and/or DVD creation software
>>> bundled by HP, IBM, Compaq, Dell, etc.
>>>
>>
>> You mean I cannot read it on Vista?
>> Jan
>
>
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Viewing Network Drives in Applications Mark Windows Vista Networking & Sharing 4 07-07-2006 01:59 PM