Virtual Switch Networking Breaks under Mac OS 10.4 Tiger

Posted: 05-10-2005, 06:14 PM
Has anyone experienced this problem? I did a clean install of OS 10.4
(format and install). Once completed, I reinstalled Office 2004
Professional with Virtual PC 7. After the requisite restart, OSX gave
me warnings after login that permissions on a number of startup items
were incorrect. I had the option to fix them, which required another
restart. After that, I got an error on running Virtual PC that
"startup permissions are correct, but virtual switch networking failed
to initialize." Upgrading Virtual PC to 7.0.1 doesn't help. Thoughts?

Virtual Switch Networking Breaks under Mac OS 10.4 Tiger


Reply With Quote

Responses to "Virtual Switch Networking Breaks under Mac OS 10.4 Tiger"

Finkel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Virtual Switch Networking Breaks under Mac OS 10.4 Tiger
Posted: 05-10-2005, 06:43 PM
I had a similar result. it read Virtual Switch Networking could not be
started. permissions for support files were set correctly, but virtual
switch failed to load. Please report this problem to Microsoft
(code-A1004). Virtual PC will run without virtual switch networking.



I use virtual pc to connect to a VPN that won't run under Mac native.
Any suggestions. How does one report to microsoft??? Customer support
is not user friendly and appears ot be a pay service.

Reply With Quote
Steve Jain
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Virtual Switch Networking Breaks under Mac OS 10.4 Tiger
Posted: 05-10-2005, 09:58 PM
On 10 May 2005 11:14:46 -0700, dwilcomb@gmail.com wrote:
>Has anyone experienced this problem? I did a clean install of OS 10.4
>(format and install). Once completed, I reinstalled Office 2004
>Professional with Virtual PC 7. After the requisite restart, OSX gave
>me warnings after login that permissions on a number of startup items
>were incorrect. I had the option to fix them, which required another
>restart. After that, I got an error on running Virtual PC that
>"startup permissions are correct, but virtual switch networking failed
>to initialize." Upgrading Virtual PC to 7.0.1 doesn't help. Thoughts?
Not much of a news flash.

Check this newsgroup for the dozens of previous reports of this.


--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
Website: http://www.essjae.com
"This posting is provided "AS IS" with
no warranties, and confers no rights.
You assume all risk for your use.
I am not am employee of Microsoft."
Reply With Quote
Steve Jain
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Virtual Switch Networking Breaks under Mac OS 10.4 Tiger
Posted: 05-10-2005, 10:01 PM
On 10 May 2005 11:43:08 -0700, "Finkel" <finkel@hotpop.com> wrote:
>I had a similar result. it read Virtual Switch Networking could not be
>started. permissions for support files were set correctly, but virtual
>switch failed to load. Please report this problem to Microsoft
>(code-A1004). Virtual PC will run without virtual switch networking.
>
>
>
>I use virtual pc to connect to a VPN that won't run under Mac native.
>Any suggestions. How does one report to microsoft??? Customer support
>is not user friendly and appears ot be a pay service.
Maybe just do a little research? This issue has been reported on this
newsgroup for weeks now.

Microsoft is aware of this:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/howtobu...id=sysreq#vpc7


System Requirements for Virtual PC for Mac Version 7

To use Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac Version 7, users need the
following:

System Requirements
Hardware: A 700 MHz native* PowerPC G3, G4 or G5 processor
Operating system: Apple Mac OS X version 10.2.8 - 10.3**; Mac OS X
version 10.3 is required for the Power Mac G5

** We are working on an update to make VPC 7 compatible with Tiger.
This will be a free update and will be available on this site within
the next few months.




--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
Website: http://www.essjae.com
"This posting is provided "AS IS" with
no warranties, and confers no rights.
You assume all risk for your use.
I am not am employee of Microsoft."
Reply With Quote
elffir
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Virtual Switch Networking Breaks under Mac OS 10.4 Tiger
Posted: 05-19-2005, 11:01 PM

You know, when someone (me, for instance) does a google search on
"virtual switch failed to load", and gets a link to this forum - with
the EXACT problem being searched for - and the MSMVP's first (and
second) response is snide comments about the person not doing any
research, it just makes you look like jerks.
Just saying....



--
elffir
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted via http://www.mcse.ms
------------------------------------------------------------------------
View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message1605775.html

Reply With Quote
Steve Jain
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Virtual Switch Networking Breaks under Mac OS 10.4 Tiger
Posted: 05-20-2005, 02:57 AM
On Thu, 19 May 2005 18:01:53 -0500, elffir
<elffir.1pb006@mail.mcse.ms> wrote:
>
>You know, when someone (me, for instance) does a google search on
>"virtual switch failed to load", and gets a link to this forum - with
>the EXACT problem being searched for - and the MSMVP's first (and
>second) response is snide comments about the person not doing any
>research, it just makes you look like jerks.
>Just saying....
Thanks for taking my response out of context and calling me a jerk.
BTW, its not my first, or second, or even third response regarding
this issue with VPC.

So, what you're saying is that even though this issue was first
reported 4/27/2005 here, has at least 3 or 4 threads discussing this
and is on the Microsoft VPC requirements stating that 10.4 is not
supported and they are working on a fix and someone posts the exact
same issue asking for suggestions and...

ah, ok...

How about this...

"Hey, thanks for reporting this new issue with VPC 7.0.0 and/or VPC
7.0.1.

But, not to be snide, this issue is already known and was reported 2
days before Tiger was released. Microsoft is currently aware of the
issue and I found this in a previous poster's response on 5/5/2005:
>http://www.microsoft.com/mac/howtobu...id=sysreq#vpc7
>
>System Requirements for Virtual PC for Mac Version 7
>
>To use Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac Version 7, users need the
>following:
>
>System Requirements
>Hardware: A 700 MHz native* PowerPC G3, G4 or G5 processor
>Operating system: Apple Mac OS X version 10.2.8 - 10.3**; Mac OS X
>version 10.3 is required for the Power Mac G5
>
>
>** We are working on an update to make VPC 7 compatible with Tiger.
>This will be a free update and will be available on this site within
>the next few months. "
But, most users that have this issue have been able to use Shared
Networking and still get most of the functionality they need from
VPC."



--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
Website: http://www.essjae.com
"This posting is provided "AS IS" with
no warranties, and confers no rights.
You assume all risk for your use.
I am not am employee of Microsoft."
Reply With Quote
Bill Leeper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Virtual Switch Networking Breaks under Mac OS 10.4 Tiger
Posted: 05-20-2005, 02:52 PM
elffir wrote:
> You know, when someone (me, for instance) does a google search on
> "virtual switch failed to load", and gets a link to this forum - with
> the EXACT problem being searched for - and the MSMVP's first (and
> second) response is snide comments about the person not doing any
> research, it just makes you look like jerks.
> Just saying....
>
>
>
> --
> elffir
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Posted via http://www.mcse.ms
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message1605775.html
>
Look, this issue has been discussed so often in here that even Job would
have been a bit peeved. The MS MVP's in here are donating there time and
knowledge free of charge as is everyone else offering advice. How about
cutting them a bit of slack here. Stick around for awhile and you might
learn something. (And I am not a MS MVP). I know I have picked up a lot
of useful tips.

Bill
Reply With Quote
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unable to initialize virtual switch networking Digichrome Mac Virtual PC 7 05-05-2005 01:33 AM
virtual switch networking Sean Frazier Mac Virtual PC 10 12-14-2004 07:59 AM
Virtual PC Virtual Switch Networking doesn't work . T Williamson Mac Virtual PC 11 10-11-2004 05:39 PM
Shared Networking no go (Virtual Switch OK) Jerad Hoff Mac Virtual PC 1 05-28-2004 05:11 PM
Virtual Switch and Networking in VPC 6.1 (Mac) Mark Pompey Mac Virtual PC 3 04-07-2004 07:42 PM