Vista 64 on my laptop??

Posted: 01-20-2009, 08:10 AM
So I am going to buy a new laptop and for the most part, especially the ones
I am interested in, my only option is MS Vista Home Premium 64bit. Now my
laptop purchase isn't meant to replace my desktop machines at all, but I am
purchasing it because I am going back to school and because from time to
time, it would be nice to do some things like messing with my music library
and pictures from the comfort of my couch. Anyhow, on the the 'concerns'.
With the 64bit being pretty much my option for my new laptop, I have some
concerns on software that I will want to use and install. Some I know won't
have an issue like Adobe CS4 and whatnot, but other items, I am wondering
how they will fare? Being that I have never used Vista for anything
production wise, I have not familiarized myself with what it can and cannot
do. Being that most programs out there are 32bit, what is one to do with
this 64bit operating system for as I understand, it doesn't have backward
compatability from 64 to 32. I believe this was for software and hardware.
Am I wrong? Am I stressing over this when in fact I should have no issues
whatsoever? My initial thoughts were to just downgrade the laptop to XP Pro,
but with laptops these days, it ain't as simple as it sounds since you have
to find "ALL" the drivers and what not if you want any of the original
functionality of the laptop. I know my way around computers pretty good and
plan on picking up this laptop tomorrow I hope. Going for the HP dv7-1245dx
from Best Buy. Anyhow, sorry for the long read and if some of you could
please take the time to ease my fears of issues with someware, especially
older stuff and it's functionality, I would much appreciate it.


Vista 64 on my laptop??


Responses to "Vista 64 on my laptop??"

diggerop
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Vista 64 on my laptop??
Posted: 01-20-2009, 08:29 AM
"Mark G." <askmefirst@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:eewY%23YteJHA.6012@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>
>.........Being that most programs out there are 32bit, ........
>
Your question also has the answer.

Mark G.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Vista 64 on my laptop??
Posted: 01-20-2009, 08:40 AM
Could you please xpand on that? Are you referring to:

"Am I stressing over this when in fact I should have no issues
whatsoever? "

If that are anything close it correct, I was hoping to get soem elaboration
on it all.

Anybody else have anything they can add or whatnot please?

Thanks much.



"diggerop" <toobusy@themoment> wrote in message
news:O%23VeLlteJHA.1528@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> "Mark G." <askmefirst@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:eewY%23YteJHA.6012@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>
>
>>.........Being that most programs out there are 32bit, ........
>>
>
> Your question also has the answer.
>
>

Gordon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Vista 64 on my laptop??
Posted: 01-20-2009, 08:51 AM
"Mark G." <askmefirst@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:eYQNnpteJHA.5748@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Could you please xpand on that? Are you referring to:
>
> "Am I stressing over this when in fact I should have no issues
> whatsoever? "
No, the fact that you stated (quite correctly) in your original post that
most applications are 32 bit.....yes you CAN run 32 bit apps on 64 bit, but
they can't take full advantage of the 64 bit architecture (AFAIK). Thus, if
the apps you want to run are predominantly 32 bit, then there's your answer!

--
Asking a question?
Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about,
your OS, Service Pack level
and the FULL contents of any error message(s)

Rick Rogers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Vista 64 on my laptop??
Posted: 01-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Most 32-bit software will run under x64 just fine. The ones that don't are
those that supply and use device drivers as part of their routine. This is
because device drivers in an x64 installation *must* be signed and not all
vendors want to expend the time and money for this process. You need to
check with the vendors of the software you plan to use for any possible
conflicts.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

"Mark G." <askmefirst@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:eewY%23YteJHA.6012@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> So I am going to buy a new laptop and for the most part, especially the
> ones I am interested in, my only option is MS Vista Home Premium 64bit.
> Now my laptop purchase isn't meant to replace my desktop machines at all,
> but I am purchasing it because I am going back to school and because from
> time to time, it would be nice to do some things like messing with my
> music library and pictures from the comfort of my couch. Anyhow, on the
> the 'concerns'. With the 64bit being pretty much my option for my new
> laptop, I have some concerns on software that I will want to use and
> install. Some I know won't have an issue like Adobe CS4 and whatnot, but
> other items, I am wondering how they will fare? Being that I have never
> used Vista for anything production wise, I have not familiarized myself
> with what it can and cannot do. Being that most programs out there are
> 32bit, what is one to do with this 64bit operating system for as I
> understand, it doesn't have backward compatability from 64 to 32. I
> believe this was for software and hardware. Am I wrong? Am I stressing
> over this when in fact I should have no issues whatsoever? My initial
> thoughts were to just downgrade the laptop to XP Pro, but with laptops
> these days, it ain't as simple as it sounds since you have to find "ALL"
> the drivers and what not if you want any of the original functionality of
> the laptop. I know my way around computers pretty good and plan on picking
> up this laptop tomorrow I hope. Going for the HP dv7-1245dx from Best Buy.
> Anyhow, sorry for the long read and if some of you could please take the
> time to ease my fears of issues with someware, especially older stuff and
> it's functionality, I would much appreciate it.
>
Bob Campbell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Vista 64 on my laptop??
Posted: 01-20-2009, 12:26 PM
"Mark G." <askmefirst@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:eewY%23YteJHA.6012@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Being that most programs out there are 32bit, what is one to do with this
> 64bit operating system for as I understand, it doesn't have backward
> compatability from 64 to 32. I believe this was for software and hardware.
> Am I wrong?
You are wrong. 64 bit Vista can run 99% of the software that 32 bit Vista
can run. The ONLY difference is drivers. Your laptop will come with
drivers for everything built-in to the laptop. You will need to make sure
that whatever printer/scanner/whatever else you have has a 64 bit driver
available.

This situation is rapidly improving, however. 64 bit is now mainstream
(nearly all computers sold this past Christmas had 64 bit Vista and 4 to 6
GB of RAM). The upcoming "Windows 7" will solidify this.

If your machine is 64 bit capable (all being sold today are) AND you have
drivers for everything need to use, there is no reason to be stuck in the 32
bit past. A 64 bit OS is the only way to go.


Dusko Savatovic
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Vista 64 on my laptop??
Posted: 01-20-2009, 02:29 PM
I would definitely recommend going for 64-bit Vista.
I've got one on hp6730b with 4GB RAM and it serves me well.
The problems I had:
- Canon Scanner 3000 doesn't have 64-bit Vista drivers. Newer models (LIDE
100) do have them. Solution. Left the scanner on the old desktop XP.
- Sony Ericsson K750i mobile phone with camera. No 64-.bit Vista drivers.
Solution. Using laptop's built-in card reader. Using Bluetooth. In fact, I
can use my mobile phone as a Bluetooth mouse/remote control. Great for
presentations.

I did not have other problems, but I do keep an old XP desktop aside.

"Mark G." <askmefirst@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:eewY%23YteJHA.6012@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> So I am going to buy a new laptop and for the most part, especially the
> ones I am interested in, my only option is MS Vista Home Premium 64bit.
> Now my laptop purchase isn't meant to replace my desktop machines at all,
> but I am purchasing it because I am going back to school and because from
> time to time, it would be nice to do some things like messing with my
> music library and pictures from the comfort of my couch. Anyhow, on the
> the 'concerns'. With the 64bit being pretty much my option for my new
> laptop, I have some concerns on software that I will want to use and
> install. Some I know won't have an issue like Adobe CS4 and whatnot, but
> other items, I am wondering how they will fare? Being that I have never
> used Vista for anything production wise, I have not familiarized myself
> with what it can and cannot do. Being that most programs out there are
> 32bit, what is one to do with this 64bit operating system for as I
> understand, it doesn't have backward compatability from 64 to 32. I
> believe this was for software and hardware. Am I wrong? Am I stressing
> over this when in fact I should have no issues whatsoever? My initial
> thoughts were to just downgrade the laptop to XP Pro, but with laptops
> these days, it ain't as simple as it sounds since you have to find "ALL"
> the drivers and what not if you want any of the original functionality of
> the laptop. I know my way around computers pretty good and plan on picking
> up this laptop tomorrow I hope. Going for the HP dv7-1245dx from Best Buy.
> Anyhow, sorry for the long read and if some of you could please take the
> time to ease my fears of issues with someware, especially older stuff and
> it's functionality, I would much appreciate it.
>
Ken Blake, MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Vista 64 on my laptop??
Posted: 01-20-2009, 03:02 PM
On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 00:10:14 -0800, "Mark G." <askmefirst@comcast.net>
wrote:
> Being that most programs out there are 32bit, what is one to do with
> this 64bit operating system for as I understand, it doesn't have backward
> compatability from 64 to 32.

That's not correct. The great majority of programs that run on 32-bit
XP will also run on Vista. There's an occasional exception, but they
are mostly utilities.


--
Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
oscar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: Vista 64 on my laptop??
Posted: 01-20-2009, 04:43 PM
I have found all of my software that runs on XP also runs on Vista 32 and 64
bit systems. The only exception is Acronis True Image Home 2009 which has
problems significant enough that I won't use it on a 64 bit system.
--
oscar

....Right click is your very good friend...


"Mark G." wrote:
> So I am going to buy a new laptop and for the most part, especially the ones
> I am interested in, my only option is MS Vista Home Premium 64bit. Now my
> laptop purchase isn't meant to replace my desktop machines at all, but I am
> purchasing it because I am going back to school and because from time to
> time, it would be nice to do some things like messing with my music library
> and pictures from the comfort of my couch. Anyhow, on the the 'concerns'.
> With the 64bit being pretty much my option for my new laptop, I have some
> concerns on software that I will want to use and install. Some I know won't
> have an issue like Adobe CS4 and whatnot, but other items, I am wondering
> how they will fare? Being that I have never used Vista for anything
> production wise, I have not familiarized myself with what it can and cannot
> do. Being that most programs out there are 32bit, what is one to do with
> this 64bit operating system for as I understand, it doesn't have backward
> compatability from 64 to 32. I believe this was for software and hardware.
> Am I wrong? Am I stressing over this when in fact I should have no issues
> whatsoever? My initial thoughts were to just downgrade the laptop to XP Pro,
> but with laptops these days, it ain't as simple as it sounds since you have
> to find "ALL" the drivers and what not if you want any of the original
> functionality of the laptop. I know my way around computers pretty good and
> plan on picking up this laptop tomorrow I hope. Going for the HP dv7-1245dx
> from Best Buy. Anyhow, sorry for the long read and if some of you could
> please take the time to ease my fears of issues with someware, especially
> older stuff and it's functionality, I would much appreciate it.
>
>
>
Ian D
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Vista 64 on my laptop??
Posted: 01-21-2009, 09:21 PM

"oscar" <oscar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6CEFA328-190C-430D-B7DE-9B422CA710C7@microsoft.com...
>I have found all of my software that runs on XP also runs on Vista 32 and
>64
> bit systems. The only exception is Acronis True Image Home 2009 which has
> problems significant enough that I won't use it on a 64 bit system.
> --
> oscar
>
> ...Right click is your very good friend...
>
>
That's interesting. I've used TI 10 Home on Vista Ultimate 64
with no problems, although I've only been using cloning, not
imaging.


 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
i have windows vista in my laptop and my account software is dos based and its not working in vista Guest Windows Vista 0 03-20-2008 11:30 AM
i have windows vista in my laptop and my account software is dos based and its not working in vista Guest Windows Vista 0 03-20-2008 09:29 AM
to contact a vista laptop to xp laptop using a crossover cable Brian Boulnois Windows Vista Networking & Sharing 3 11-27-2007 09:30 PM
Vista laptop, XP desktop, folder sharing from laptop to desktop Del Windows Vista Networking & Sharing 1 10-08-2007 06:20 PM
XP Pro laptop cannot find Vista wireless network created on laptop Fluffman Windows Vista Networking & Sharing 1 06-25-2007 02:43 PM