Vista bootup problem

Posted: 01-20-2009, 04:47 PM
I had a sudden loss of power yesterday. When power was restored I thought my
computer was not booting up. I went to call Dell and ask for help when after
10 minuets it completed the boot up. Dell says I have a software issue and
seeing as I had upgraded to Vista they would not help. I ran a chkdsk and
that's where the other issue has started. The chkdsk will not complete. How
can I get it to stop. Can I get access to my data and save any of it or do I
need to do a vista reinstall?

--
Thank You
John Linton


Vista bootup problem


Responses to "Vista bootup problem"

Gary G. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Vista bootup problem
Posted: 01-20-2009, 04:55 PM
It is common for a boot after a crash to take a while. The OS is doing some
housekeeping because the disk was left "dirty" do to the crash. Have
subsequent boots been "slow"?

--
The personal opinion of
Gary G. Little

"John" <linton@gtcom.net> wrote in message
news:SqCdnWCqVcS1nevUnZ2dnUVZ_hKdnZ2d@neonova.net. ..
>I had a sudden loss of power yesterday. When power was restored I thought
>my computer was not booting up. I went to call Dell and ask for help when
>after 10 minuets it completed the boot up. Dell says I have a software
>issue and seeing as I had upgraded to Vista they would not help. I ran a
>chkdsk and that's where the other issue has started. The chkdsk will not
>complete. How can I get it to stop. Can I get access to my data and save
>any of it or do I need to do a vista reinstall?
>
> --
> Thank You
> John Linton
>
>
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Vista bootup problem
Posted: 01-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Not the boot time did not improve. I rebooted 3 times and it still would
take a long time. Its just like the boot cycle was in slow motion even the
floppy test where is checks the drive for a boot disk took 2 minuets.

"Gary G. Little" <glittle@mn.rr.com> wrote in message
news:#9fgk$xeJHA.1328@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> It is common for a boot after a crash to take a while. The OS is doing
> some housekeeping because the disk was left "dirty" do to the crash. Have
> subsequent boots been "slow"?
>
> --
> The personal opinion of
> Gary G. Little
>
> "John" <linton@gtcom.net> wrote in message
> news:SqCdnWCqVcS1nevUnZ2dnUVZ_hKdnZ2d@neonova.net. ..
>>I had a sudden loss of power yesterday. When power was restored I thought
>>my computer was not booting up. I went to call Dell and ask for help when
>>after 10 minuets it completed the boot up. Dell says I have a software
>>issue and seeing as I had upgraded to Vista they would not help. I ran a
>>chkdsk and that's where the other issue has started. The chkdsk will not
>>complete. How can I get it to stop. Can I get access to my data and save
>>any of it or do I need to do a vista reinstall?
>>
>> --
>> Thank You
>> John Linton
>>
>>
>
RalfG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Vista bootup problem
Posted: 01-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Doesn't sound like a Vista problem at all. That part of the boot cycle
(floppy test) is before Vista even comes into play. That is your hardware
being slow. Sounds like you at least need to reset your motherboard BIOS to
its default settings. If the computer hardware wasn't actually damaged
during the power out it should start to behave normally again.

"John" <linton@gtcom.net> wrote in message
news:bqSdnZLE9Mb8l-vUnZ2dnUVZ_hmdnZ2d@neonova.net...
> Not the boot time did not improve. I rebooted 3 times and it still would
> take a long time. Its just like the boot cycle was in slow motion even the
> floppy test where is checks the drive for a boot disk took 2 minuets.
>
> "Gary G. Little" <glittle@mn.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:#9fgk$xeJHA.1328@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> It is common for a boot after a crash to take a while. The OS is doing
>> some housekeeping because the disk was left "dirty" do to the crash. Have
>> subsequent boots been "slow"?
>>
>> --
>> The personal opinion of
>> Gary G. Little
>>
>> "John" <linton@gtcom.net> wrote in message
>> news:SqCdnWCqVcS1nevUnZ2dnUVZ_hKdnZ2d@neonova.net. ..
>>>I had a sudden loss of power yesterday. When power was restored I thought
>>>my computer was not booting up. I went to call Dell and ask for help when
>>>after 10 minuets it completed the boot up. Dell says I have a software
>>>issue and seeing as I had upgraded to Vista they would not help. I ran a
>>>chkdsk and that's where the other issue has started. The chkdsk will not
>>>complete. How can I get it to stop. Can I get access to my data and save
>>>any of it or do I need to do a vista reinstall?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thank You
>>> John Linton
>>>
>>>
>>
Synapse Syndrome
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Vista bootup problem
Posted: 01-20-2009, 10:17 PM
John <linton@gtcom.net> wrote:
>
> Not the boot time did not improve. I rebooted 3 times and it still would
> take a long time. Its just like the boot cycle was in slow motion even
> the floppy test where is checks the drive for a boot disk took 2 minuets.
>

Run this (no need to install) to check if your hard drive is okay.

http://crystalmark.info/software/Cry...o/index-e.html

ss.


 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help vista desktop bootup problem vistacommander1 Windows Vista Performance & Maintenance 1 07-23-2008 01:18 AM
problem w/XP at bootup maputo@earthlink.net Windows XP New Users 2 06-15-2004 11:12 PM
Bootup problem snowball Windows XP Basics 5 02-22-2004 05:04 PM
bootup problem Windows XP Performance & Maintenance 0 02-22-2004 01:55 PM
XP BOOTUP PROBLEM JIM Windows XP Performance & Maintenance 2 11-30-2003 06:09 AM