Vista cannot install to SAS drive

Posted: 01-13-2009, 09:43 AM

I got a new HighPoint RR2680 and attached a MAX3073RC Fujitsu 73GB SA
to it.

When I install windows Vista the first stage of installation complete
fine (the file copy, uncompress, feature install part). But it canno
boot at all after reboot.
It says System file missing/corrupt (I tried install a few times an
each time a different file. Error code was something like 0xc0000221
and asks me to do repair. which does not solve problem. The SAS driv
makes strange sounds when it tries to boot.

I tested the drive and controller in a pre-installed Vista (80GB AT
drive) and it works fine as a normal volume. I ran tests an
benchmarks.
When I look at the content of the dirve after a failed install/reboot
I can see temp folder suggesting Vista hasn't finished installing yet
More to do after the reboot. (I can't remember all the steps and numbe
of reboot before Vista is completely installed).

I've done further testing with a Seagate Cheetah 300GB (ST3300656SS
and a Western Digital 640GB SATA (WD6400AAKS). Both were tested with th
SAS controller. The SATA installed fine and the Seagate SAS failed th
same as Fujitsu SAS. The failing point is always after the first reboo
when the files finishe copying/uncompressing.

The SAS drive is connected to the RR2680 via an Adaptec interna
miniSAS to 4x SATA cable (I-MSASX4-4XSATAX1-.5). The SAS drive has a
adapter attached to allow for normal SATA cable and power connection
There is nothing else attached to the controller and no other HD
attached to the motherboard controller either.

Can you please assist me in solving this problem?

Thanks for your time

--
sinister
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
sinisterk's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/sinisterk.ht
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...all/1102816.ht

http://forums.techarena.i

Vista cannot install to SAS drive


Responses to "Vista cannot install to SAS drive"

Ian D
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Vista cannot install to SAS drive
Posted: 01-13-2009, 09:26 PM

"sinisterk" <sinisterk.3ly5rb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
news:sinisterk.3ly5rb@DoNotSpam.com...
>
> I got a new HighPoint RR2680 and attached a MAX3073RC Fujitsu 73GB SAS
> to it.
>
> When I install windows Vista the first stage of installation completes
> fine (the file copy, uncompress, feature install part). But it cannot
> boot at all after reboot.
> It says System file missing/corrupt (I tried install a few times and
> each time a different file. Error code was something like 0xc0000221)
> and asks me to do repair. which does not solve problem. The SAS drive
> makes strange sounds when it tries to boot.
>
> I tested the drive and controller in a pre-installed Vista (80GB ATA
> drive) and it works fine as a normal volume. I ran tests and
> benchmarks.
> When I look at the content of the dirve after a failed install/reboot,
> I can see temp folder suggesting Vista hasn't finished installing yet.
> More to do after the reboot. (I can't remember all the steps and number
> of reboot before Vista is completely installed).
>
> I've done further testing with a Seagate Cheetah 300GB (ST3300656SS)
> and a Western Digital 640GB SATA (WD6400AAKS). Both were tested with the
> SAS controller. The SATA installed fine and the Seagate SAS failed the
> same as Fujitsu SAS. The failing point is always after the first reboot
> when the files finishe copying/uncompressing.
>
> The SAS drive is connected to the RR2680 via an Adaptec internal
> miniSAS to 4x SATA cable (I-MSASX4-4XSATAX1-.5). The SAS drive has an
> adapter attached to allow for normal SATA cable and power connection.
> There is nothing else attached to the controller and no other HDD
> attached to the motherboard controller either.
>
> Can you please assist me in solving this problem?
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
>
> --
> sinisterk
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> sinisterk's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/sinisterk.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...ll/1102816.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in
>
I assume you loaded the Vista RR driver during the Vista installation
as described in the RR manual. Also did you go into the RR BIOS to
make sure it is not set up as RAID? There's obviously no problem
when an SAS drive is being used as a data drive to load the Vista
files, but there appears to be a misconfiguration when booting from
the SAS drive. That may be due to a driver issue.


sinisterk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Vista cannot install to SAS drive
Posted: 01-15-2009, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the response.

I'm running it in JBOD which is the Raid card's single disk setting
Which I think still makes windows application see it as a array of som
sort because disk utilities cannot pick up the make and model of the SA
disk anymore...like the Fujitsu disk scan util.

Not sure if this has anything to do with it.

I've contacted Highpoint about this. They said they will look into i
but no feedback yet.

Thanks agai

--
sinister
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
sinisterk's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/sinisterk.ht
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...all/1102820.ht

http://forums.techarena.i

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cant install Vista on new drive Necronomicon Windows Vista Hardware & Devices 7 02-04-2007 06:46 PM
External DVD Drive / Hard Drive Vista Install David O Windows Vista 1 10-15-2006 12:51 AM
Can't Install Vista Beta 2 to 2nd Drive snolsen Windows Vista Install & Setup 1 08-26-2006 10:26 PM
Cannot install Vista on IDE drive Bradford Windows Vista Install & Setup 2 08-14-2006 05:00 AM
Install Vista on other drive Skiingbc.info Webmaster Windows Vista Install & Setup 4 06-12-2006 01:23 AM