VISTA FAX sending issues

Posted: 12-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Of the three situations where faxes can be sent using Vista Fax &
Scan, two do not work for me. I am using VISTA Business. The
situations are:

A/ In trying to forward a fax..

Details:

1) I open Vista Fax & Scan
2) I open a fax within the "Inbox".
3) I then select "Forward as a Fax".
4) In the "To" window I enter a phone number in the format
xxx-xxx-xxxx.

5) I put some text in the message sectionessage
6) I then click on "send".

I get an error message that says "The message could not be sent. The
parameter is incorrect."

B/ In trying to originate a Fax from within Vista Fax & Scan..

1) I open Vista Fax & Scan
2) I click on "New Fax"
3) I fill in the subject
4) I enter the phone number in the " To" window in the format
xxx-xxx-xxxx.

5) I put some text in the message section.
6) I click on "send"

I get an error message that says: "The message could not be sent. The
data is invalid."


Note: The third way of sending a FAX is from the a document
(File/print/fax). This I am able to do. For example, if I create a
document in Word, and from the "Print" menu I select "fax", what
appears to be the VISTA FAX & Scan send-screen opens, and I fill it in
as above and send without difficulty.

Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.usenet.com

VISTA FAX sending issues


Responses to "VISTA FAX sending issues"

Peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: VISTA FAX sending issues
Posted: 12-05-2008, 07:19 PM
I've found that it will only accept phone numbers that are continuous, not
separated by hyphens.
xxxyyyzzzz

Peter
Toronto, Canada.

"Mitch" <mitch67547@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:2plij45jiioo9s2jehm6lgsumh1a2gb3vs@4ax.com...
> Of the three situations where faxes can be sent using Vista Fax &
> Scan, two do not work for me. I am using VISTA Business. The
> situations are:
>
> A/ In trying to forward a fax..
>
> Details:
>
> 1) I open Vista Fax & Scan
> 2) I open a fax within the "Inbox".
> 3) I then select "Forward as a Fax".
> 4) In the "To" window I enter a phone number in the format
> xxx-xxx-xxxx.
>
> 5) I put some text in the message sectionessage
> 6) I then click on "send".
>
> I get an error message that says "The message could not be sent. The
> parameter is incorrect."
>
> B/ In trying to originate a Fax from within Vista Fax & Scan..
>
> 1) I open Vista Fax & Scan
> 2) I click on "New Fax"
> 3) I fill in the subject
> 4) I enter the phone number in the " To" window in the format
> xxx-xxx-xxxx.
>
> 5) I put some text in the message section.
> 6) I click on "send"
>
> I get an error message that says: "The message could not be sent. The
> data is invalid."
>
>
> Note: The third way of sending a FAX is from the a document
> (File/print/fax). This I am able to do. For example, if I create a
> document in Word, and from the "Print" menu I select "fax", what
> appears to be the VISTA FAX & Scan send-screen opens, and I fill it in
> as above and send without difficulty.
>
> Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.usenet.com
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: VISTA FAX sending issues
Posted: 12-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Use canonical format for your phone numbers:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=318575

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Mitch" <mitch67547@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:2plij45jiioo9s2jehm6lgsumh1a2gb3vs@4ax.com...
> Of the three situations where faxes can be sent using Vista Fax &
> Scan, two do not work for me. I am using VISTA Business. The
> situations are:
>
> A/ In trying to forward a fax..
>
> Details:
>
> 1) I open Vista Fax & Scan
> 2) I open a fax within the "Inbox".
> 3) I then select "Forward as a Fax".
> 4) In the "To" window I enter a phone number in the format
> xxx-xxx-xxxx.
>
> 5) I put some text in the message sectionessage
> 6) I then click on "send".
>
> I get an error message that says "The message could not be sent. The
> parameter is incorrect."
>
> B/ In trying to originate a Fax from within Vista Fax & Scan..
>
> 1) I open Vista Fax & Scan
> 2) I click on "New Fax"
> 3) I fill in the subject
> 4) I enter the phone number in the " To" window in the format
> xxx-xxx-xxxx.
>
> 5) I put some text in the message section.
> 6) I click on "send"
>
> I get an error message that says: "The message could not be sent. The
> data is invalid."
>
>
> Note: The third way of sending a FAX is from the a document
> (File/print/fax). This I am able to do. For example, if I create a
> document in Word, and from the "Print" menu I select "fax", what
> appears to be the VISTA FAX & Scan send-screen opens, and I fill it in
> as above and send without difficulty.
>
> Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.usenet.com
Mitch
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: VISTA FAX sending issues
Posted: 12-06-2008, 04:01 AM
I have tried various formats including canonical. I get the same
error messages.

I would like to hear that others are able to forward a fax an
originate a fax from within Fax & Scan. This would confirm that the
issue is not Vista itself.

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 17:32:39 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
<russval@gmail.com> wrote:
>Use canonical format for your phone numbers:
>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=318575
Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.usenet.com
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: VISTA FAX sending issues
Posted: 12-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Works fine here.
Examine error messages and Event viewer more closely.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Mitch" <mitch67547@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:u1ujj41ue1f60i0n2d3oa8m3cjvd2lbv55@4ax.com...
>I have tried various formats including canonical. I get the same
> error messages.
>
> I would like to hear that others are able to forward a fax an
> originate a fax from within Fax & Scan. This would confirm that the
> issue is not Vista itself.
>
> On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 17:32:39 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
> <russval@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Use canonical format for your phone numbers:
>>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=318575
>
> Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.usenet.com
Mitch
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: VISTA FAX sending issues
Posted: 12-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks for your reply.

I have tied to follow up on the error messages as they relate tp Vista
Fax & Scan. I haven't found anything. I am not sure what the "Event
Viewer" is.

I am not sure whether it is possible to include screen shots of the
error messages and whether that would be helpful.


On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 06:04:56 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
<russval@gmail.com> wrote:
>Works fine here.
>Examine error messages and Event viewer more closely.
Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.usenet.com
Mitch
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: VISTA FAX sending issues
Posted: 12-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Since I am able to send a FAX from a document (File/print/fax), does
that rule out faxmodem-drive incompatibility?


On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 06:04:56 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
<russval@gmail.com> wrote:
>Works fine here.
>Examine error messages and Event viewer more closely.
Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.usenet.com
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: VISTA FAX sending issues
Posted: 12-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Yes.
Event Viewer is in Administrative Tools.
Error messages implies that the document you are trying to fax cannot be
rendered. In what format is this document? Where did it originate? Does it
contain any graphics or other data that might be difficult to render? What
happens if you save this document to your hard drive and try to print it to
the fax printer?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Mitch" <mitch67547@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:5c3lj4pub0qmd5imcrrpau10knr9perkj0@4ax.com...
> Since I am able to send a FAX from a document (File/print/fax), does
> that rule out faxmodem-drive incompatibility?
>
>
> On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 06:04:56 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
> <russval@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Works fine here.
>>Examine error messages and Event viewer more closely.
>
> Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.usenet.com
Mitch
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: VISTA FAX sending issues
Posted: 12-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Some progress!!!

Here is a summary:

Previously, I could create a document (Word, Excell etc.) and send it
by FAX through the "print" menu. When I would get to the FAX all I
had to do was fill in the telephone number and the subject. A FAX
created and sent this way was successful.

When I tried to originate a FAX from the FAX & SCAN, I was doing the
same thing. I was NOT attaching any files. I was simply writinging
text in the bottom area. Thius was when I would get the error message
"Invalid Data".

Just now I tried this again, but this time, I attached a file. I WAS
able to send. It seems strange to me. TMany situations do not
require the attaching of a file.

Still, when attempting to forward a FAX, when in doing so a file is
automatically attached, I cannot send. I get the "Invalid Parameter"
message.

I have not yet investigated "Administrative Tools".



On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 10:42:28 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
<russval@gmail.com> wrote:
>Yes.
>Event Viewer is in Administrative Tools.
>Error messages implies that the document you are trying to fax cannot be
>rendered. In what format is this document? Where did it originate? Does it
>contain any graphics or other data that might be difficult to render? What
>happens if you save this document to your hard drive and try to print it to
>the fax printer?
Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.usenet.com
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: VISTA FAX sending issues
Posted: 12-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Reboot your system and try again.
After you create a fax to send in WFS, see if you can find a corresponding
TIF file in %userprofile%\appdata\local\temp
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Mitch" <mitch67547@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:fojlj41gd1m5m0klj7q9h2g41nkgce40n6@4ax.com...
> Some progress!!!
>
> Here is a summary:
>
> Previously, I could create a document (Word, Excell etc.) and send it
> by FAX through the "print" menu. When I would get to the FAX all I
> had to do was fill in the telephone number and the subject. A FAX
> created and sent this way was successful.
>
> When I tried to originate a FAX from the FAX & SCAN, I was doing the
> same thing. I was NOT attaching any files. I was simply writinging
> text in the bottom area. Thius was when I would get the error message
> "Invalid Data".
>
> Just now I tried this again, but this time, I attached a file. I WAS
> able to send. It seems strange to me. TMany situations do not
> require the attaching of a file.
>
> Still, when attempting to forward a FAX, when in doing so a file is
> automatically attached, I cannot send. I get the "Invalid Parameter"
> message.
>
> I have not yet investigated "Administrative Tools".
>
>
>
> On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 10:42:28 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"
> <russval@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Yes.
>>Event Viewer is in Administrative Tools.
>>Error messages implies that the document you are trying to fax cannot be
>>rendered. In what format is this document? Where did it originate? Does it
>>contain any graphics or other data that might be difficult to render? What
>>happens if you save this document to your hard drive and try to print it
>>to
>>the fax printer?
>
> Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.usenet.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Networking issues with Vista Home Premium and Vista Business Lenstick Windows Vista Networking & Sharing 2 07-02-2008 08:23 PM
Sending mail with Vista SWH Windows Vista Mail 2 10-11-2007 10:22 AM
Sending Email with Vista Dr. Moellmer Windows Vista Mail 11 08-03-2007 02:44 AM
Vista not sending email Alan Hardy Windows Vista Networking & Sharing 0 07-23-2007 03:16 PM
Vista fax & scan not sending BobH Windows Vista Printers & Scanners 3 06-13-2007 09:14 PM