Vista network quick to timeout

Posted: 02-12-2008, 03:23 AM
I have a home server running WinXP that goes to sleep and takes 3 or 4
seconds to wake up when accessed over the network. Vista never waits for it
wake up. It times out almost immediately.... and even worse seems to "cache"
the timeout for several minutes. So even though the server is up and ready,
Vista still says it's not available. This only happens when using Vista. Is
there any way to make Vista try a little harder and not be so quick to give
up?

--
-C. Moya
http://www.cmoya.com

Vista network quick to timeout


Responses to "Vista network quick to timeout"

Mark L. Ferguson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Vista network quick to timeout
Posted: 02-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Setting the ethernet card properties to half duplex (speed tab) cured that
for me.

--
Was this helpful? Then click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web
interface.
http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales....htm#RateAPost

Mark L. Ferguson

..
"CMoya" <moy@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:74D522EC-3708-460A-8A0E-E66A015BA1BA@microsoft.com...
>I have a home server running WinXP that goes to sleep and takes 3 or 4
>seconds to wake up when accessed over the network. Vista never waits for it
>wake up. It times out almost immediately.... and even worse seems to
>"cache" the timeout for several minutes. So even though the server is up
>and ready, Vista still says it's not available. This only happens when
>using Vista. Is there any way to make Vista try a little harder and not be
>so quick to give up?
>
> --
> -C. Moya
> http://www.cmoya.com
>
CMoya
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Vista network quick to timeout
Posted: 02-12-2008, 05:39 PM
On Vista or the server?

--
-C. Moya
http://www.cmoya.com

"Mark L. Ferguson" <MarkLFerguson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:421D04A6-21F8-46DF-9641-F22BAFD02260@microsoft.com...
> Setting the ethernet card properties to half duplex (speed tab) cured that
> for me.
>
> --
> Was this helpful? Then click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web
> interface.
> http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales....htm#RateAPost
>
> Mark L. Ferguson
>
> .
> "CMoya" <moy@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:74D522EC-3708-460A-8A0E-E66A015BA1BA@microsoft.com...
>>I have a home server running WinXP that goes to sleep and takes 3 or 4
>>seconds to wake up when accessed over the network. Vista never waits for
>>it wake up. It times out almost immediately.... and even worse seems to
>>"cache" the timeout for several minutes. So even though the server is up
>>and ready, Vista still says it's not available. This only happens when
>>using Vista. Is there any way to make Vista try a little harder and not be
>>so quick to give up?
>>
>> --
>> -C. Moya
>> http://www.cmoya.com
>>
>
Mark L. Ferguson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Vista network quick to timeout
Posted: 02-12-2008, 07:42 PM
On the Vista device.

--
Was this helpful? Then click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web
interface.
http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales....htm#RateAPost

Mark L. Ferguson

..
"CMoya" <moy@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:047DDF95-55EC-4E51-AA75-B998BDE66446@microsoft.com...
> On Vista or the server?
>
> --
> -C. Moya
> http://www.cmoya.com
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" <MarkLFerguson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:421D04A6-21F8-46DF-9641-F22BAFD02260@microsoft.com...
>> Setting the ethernet card properties to half duplex (speed tab) cured
>> that for me.
>>
>> --
>> Was this helpful? Then click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web
>> interface.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales....htm#RateAPost
>>
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>>
>> .
>> "CMoya" <moy@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> news:74D522EC-3708-460A-8A0E-E66A015BA1BA@microsoft.com...
>>>I have a home server running WinXP that goes to sleep and takes 3 or 4
>>>seconds to wake up when accessed over the network. Vista never waits for
>>>it wake up. It times out almost immediately.... and even worse seems to
>>>"cache" the timeout for several minutes. So even though the server is up
>>>and ready, Vista still says it's not available. This only happens when
>>>using Vista. Is there any way to make Vista try a little harder and not
>>>be so quick to give up?
>>>
>>> --
>>> -C. Moya
>>> http://www.cmoya.com
>>>
>>
>
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NETWORK VISTA QUICK BOOKS talent80 Windows Vista Networking & Sharing 1 10-16-2007 11:12 AM
How do I get dialup idle timeout to work with incoming network pro yyj Windows Vista Networking & Sharing 0 10-04-2007 03:49 PM
Windows Vista wireless timeout Tony Windows Vista Networking & Sharing 0 04-08-2007 09:30 AM
Windows Mail In Vista rc2, IMAP Timeout Problem Jiriteach Windows Vista Mail 0 10-22-2006 07:16 PM
slow network timeout settings Gary Windows XP Network & Web 0 08-04-2003 06:00 PM