Vista-to-Vista new plan still won't work

Posted: 01-21-2009, 03:56 PM

Hi all.

Any help will be much appreciated.

After three months of failing to make two Vista Business PCs network
via a crossover cable, I gave up and I now have the following:

A Netgear GS605 (5 port) ethernet switch. To this switch, I have
connected two identical Vista PCs (call them A and B), and a Livebox.

Computer A connects to the Internet perfectly well via the Netgear
switch to its attached Livebox; computer B connects to the Internet
using a wireless connection to a different Livebox.

However, the PCs can not see each other.

On computer A, all I can see is "Network", "Access: Local and
Internet". The network map shows "This computer->Gateway->Internet".
The network is Private.

On computer B, I see the wireless network (Private) plus "Local Area
Connection", "Unidentified Network", "Access: Limited Connectivity".
The Local Area Connection is Public and will not stay Private when I
change it. After a short time, or a reboot, it reverts to Public.

Below is the output for ipconfig/all for Computer A, followed by the
same for computer B.

Thanks again for any help.

Gale.

=========================
Computer A

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Gale01
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking
Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-85-6C-E9-F7
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
fe80::5cae:4050:be2d:c9dd%10(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.123(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 21 January 2009 15:19:37
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 22 January 2009 15:19:37
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . :
isatap.{01E6DA7C-B433-4D34-9EC1-326B840DF
CD8}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

=============
Computer B

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mum01
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps
Ethernet #
3
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-85-03-A1-89
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
fe80::80b0:9c24:9df1:475c%16(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.71.92(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 802.11g USB 2.0 adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-6B-9C-74-BD
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
fe80::3050:6b5c:f086:29f0%12(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.12(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 21 January 2009 15:12:20
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 22 January 2009 15:12:20
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . :
isatap.{E6328AFE-C639-43D2-B0CF-4BEE1ED59
991}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . :
isatap.{C8F28702-FC4F-449A-97BD-297901F83
98A}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling
Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes


Vista-to-Vista new plan still won't work


Responses to "Vista-to-Vista new plan still won't work"

Gale Green
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Vista-to-Vista new plan still won't work
Posted: 01-21-2009, 04:16 PM

Having looked at the ipconfig listings, I noticed that I had not
upgraded to the latest ethernet driver on computer A. I've now done
that but the ipconfig output still looks exactly the same, except for
the Ethernet adapter's "Description".

Gale.


Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Vista-to-Vista new plan still won't work
Posted: 01-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Can both computers ping each other by IP?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
http://www.HowToNetworking.com
"Gale Green" <gale@databeat.co.uk> wrote in message
news:0pfen4tm7jh8p56rvlprpa07212bjhcc7s@4ax.com...
>
> Hi all.
>
> Any help will be much appreciated.
>
> After three months of failing to make two Vista Business PCs network
> via a crossover cable, I gave up and I now have the following:
>
> A Netgear GS605 (5 port) ethernet switch. To this switch, I have
> connected two identical Vista PCs (call them A and B), and a Livebox.
>
> Computer A connects to the Internet perfectly well via the Netgear
> switch to its attached Livebox; computer B connects to the Internet
> using a wireless connection to a different Livebox.
>
> However, the PCs can not see each other.
>
> On computer A, all I can see is "Network", "Access: Local and
> Internet". The network map shows "This computer->Gateway->Internet".
> The network is Private.
>
> On computer B, I see the wireless network (Private) plus "Local Area
> Connection", "Unidentified Network", "Access: Limited Connectivity".
> The Local Area Connection is Public and will not stay Private when I
> change it. After a short time, or a reboot, it reverts to Public.
>
> Below is the output for ipconfig/all for Computer A, followed by the
> same for computer B.
>
> Thanks again for any help.
>
> Gale.
>
> =========================
> Computer A
>
> Windows IP Configuration
>
> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Gale01
> Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
> IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
> WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>
> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking
> Controller
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-85-6C-E9-F7
> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
> Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
> Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
> fe80::5cae:4050:be2d:c9dd%10(Preferred)
> IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.123(Preferred)
> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
> Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 21 January 2009 15:19:37
> Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 22 January 2009 15:19:37
> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
> DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
> DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
> NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
>
> Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:
>
> Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . :
> isatap.{01E6DA7C-B433-4D34-9EC1-326B840DF
> CD8}
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
> Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
>
> =============
> Computer B
>
> Windows IP Configuration
>
> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mum01
> Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
> IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
> WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>
> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps
> Ethernet #
> 3
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-85-03-A1-89
> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
> Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
> Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
> fe80::80b0:9c24:9df1:475c%16(Preferred)
> Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.71.92(Preferred)
> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
> DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
> fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
> fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
> NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
>
> Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 802.11g USB 2.0 adapter #2
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-6B-9C-74-BD
> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
> Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
> Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
> fe80::3050:6b5c:f086:29f0%12(Preferred)
> IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.12(Preferred)
> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
> Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 21 January 2009 15:12:20
> Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 22 January 2009 15:12:20
> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
> DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
> DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
> NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
>
> Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:
>
> Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . :
> isatap.{E6328AFE-C639-43D2-B0CF-4BEE1ED59
> 991}
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
> Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
>
> Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:
>
> Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . :
> isatap.{C8F28702-FC4F-449A-97BD-297901F83
> 98A}
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
> Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
>
> Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:
>
> Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling
> Pseudo-Interface
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
> Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
>
>
Gale Green
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Vista-to-Vista new plan still won't work
Posted: 01-21-2009, 07:19 PM
On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 12:40:59 -0600, "Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)"
<findemail@chicagotech.net> wrote:

Hi.

Thanks for the response.
>Can both computers ping each other by IP?
No. I get "Destination host is unreachable" in both directions.

If it makes any difference, the cables from the PCs to the Netgear
switch are Cat 6, the one from the switch to the Livebox is Cat 5E.

Gale.

Gale Green
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Vista-to-Vista new plan still won't work
Posted: 01-21-2009, 08:23 PM
>On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 12:40:59 -0600, "Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)"
><findemail@chicagotech.net> wrote:
>
>Hi.
>
>Thanks for the response.
>
>>Can both computers ping each other by IP?
If I ping with the IPv6 address, I get error 1231.

Gale.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Vista-to-Vista new plan still won't work
Posted: 01-22-2009, 05:06 AM
It seems to me they are not in the same subnet physically. How do you
connect those Liveboxes?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
http://www.HowToNetworking.com
"Gale Green" <gale@databeat.co.uk> wrote in message
news:q5ten4dph2jl2ncr9997ode1mpr95tqr2a@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 12:40:59 -0600, "Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)"
> <findemail@chicagotech.net> wrote:
>
> Hi.
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
>>Can both computers ping each other by IP?
>
> No. I get "Destination host is unreachable" in both directions.
>
> If it makes any difference, the cables from the PCs to the Netgear
> switch are Cat 6, the one from the switch to the Livebox is Cat 5E.
>
> Gale.
>
Gale Green
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Vista-to-Vista new plan still won't work
Posted: 01-22-2009, 09:34 AM
On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 23:06:08 -0600, "Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)"
<findemail@chicagotech.net> wrote:
>It seems to me they are not in the same subnet physically. How do you
>connect those Liveboxes?
The wireless one on computer B uses an 802.11g driver supplied by
Orange (the ISP). It's not configured by me at all. The one on
computer A is just connected to the ethernet switch.

Should I be somehow setting the Local Area Connection on computer B to
point to the (sub)net of computer A? Presumably, if I change the one
on computer A, it will lose sight of the Livebox?

Gale.

RalfG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Vista-to-Vista new plan still won't work
Posted: 01-23-2009, 05:16 PM
They both look to be on the same IPv4 subnet already. The rest you should be
able to ignore for LAN connectivity. Is either computer showing that they
are connected to a Public network in your Network and Sharing Center? That
would cause it to block incoming connections from the other computer. The
connections on both would have to be flagged as Private Network (Customize).
Are Network Discovery and File Sharing turned on in both computers and are
there any shared folders on each computer?

"Gale Green" <gale@databeat.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3bfgn4dt33bknlsqhiqmo7rmcepo593a36@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 23:06:08 -0600, "Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)"
> <findemail@chicagotech.net> wrote:
>
>>It seems to me they are not in the same subnet physically. How do you
>>connect those Liveboxes?
>
> The wireless one on computer B uses an 802.11g driver supplied by
> Orange (the ISP). It's not configured by me at all. The one on
> computer A is just connected to the ethernet switch.
>
> Should I be somehow setting the Local Area Connection on computer B to
> point to the (sub)net of computer A? Presumably, if I change the one
> on computer A, it will lose sight of the Livebox?
>
> Gale.
>
Gale Green
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Vista-to-Vista new plan still won't work
Posted: 01-23-2009, 10:29 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have now made both PCs attach to the Internet
using wireless connections to their respective Liveboxes. I thought
this might simplify the home LAN problem. However, it hasn't changed a
thing. Both computers still show their IP addresses as 169.254.x.x, on
the Local Area Connection, which I think are invalid IP addresses.

The wireless networks are Private on both machines; the local network
shows as Public on each computer (and each shows as "Unidentified
network"). If I change them to Private, they revert to Public a short
time later, or when I reboot.

On both computers, Network Discovery is on, as are File Sharing,
Printer Sharing and Public Folder Sharing. Each computer has a single
folder, C:\somename, that is shared with Everyone and Guest (both
Co-owners).

I have had this problem for three months with Vista, originally with a
crossover cable, which worked as soon as I plugged it in, back in the
good old days of XP Pro, and now with straight-through cables
connected to an Ethernet switch.

I'm beginning to think that I'm never going to get these computers
talking to each other, and I'm doomed to spend the rest of my days
walking USB Flash Drives between them. <g> I wish I knew a bit more
about networking.

Gale.
>They both look to be on the same IPv4 subnet already. The rest you should be
>able to ignore for LAN connectivity. Is either computer showing that they
>are connected to a Public network in your Network and Sharing Center? That
>would cause it to block incoming connections from the other computer. The
>connections on both would have to be flagged as Private Network (Customize).
>Are Network Discovery and File Sharing turned on in both computers and are
>there any shared folders on each computer?
>
>"Gale Green" <gale@databeat.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:3bfgn4dt33bknlsqhiqmo7rmcepo593a36@4ax.com.. .
>> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 23:06:08 -0600, "Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)"
>> <findemail@chicagotech.net> wrote:
>>
>>>It seems to me they are not in the same subnet physically. How do you
>>>connect those Liveboxes?
>>
>> The wireless one on computer B uses an 802.11g driver supplied by
>> Orange (the ISP). It's not configured by me at all. The one on
>> computer A is just connected to the ethernet switch.
>>
>> Should I be somehow setting the Local Area Connection on computer B to
>> point to the (sub)net of computer A? Presumably, if I change the one
>> on computer A, it will lose sight of the Livebox?
>>
>> Gale.
>>
Gale Green
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Vista-to-Vista new plan still won't work
Posted: 01-24-2009, 11:44 AM

Having read a bit more, I have removed IPv6 from the Local Area
Connection on each computer, and changed the NIC drivers from
"Autonegotiate" to "Autonegotiate for 100 mbps Full Duplex".

The lights on the Ethernet ports now glow green instead of orange,
which I thought might be a good sign, and the port speed now shows as
100 mbps, but nothing else has changed - still "Unidentified network"
on both machines, and one shows "Limited connectivity" while the other
shows "Local only".

Sigh.

Gale.

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 12:16:27 -0500, "RalfG" <itsnotme@ladeda.deda>
wrote:
>They both look to be on the same IPv4 subnet already. The rest you should be
>able to ignore for LAN connectivity. Is either computer showing that they
>are connected to a Public network in your Network and Sharing Center? That
>would cause it to block incoming connections from the other computer. The
>connections on both would have to be flagged as Private Network (Customize).
>Are Network Discovery and File Sharing turned on in both computers and are
>there any shared folders on each computer?
>
>"Gale Green" <gale@databeat.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:3bfgn4dt33bknlsqhiqmo7rmcepo593a36@4ax.com.. .
>> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 23:06:08 -0600, "Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)"
>> <findemail@chicagotech.net> wrote:
>>
>>>It seems to me they are not in the same subnet physically. How do you
>>>connect those Liveboxes?
>>
>> The wireless one on computer B uses an 802.11g driver supplied by
>> Orange (the ISP). It's not configured by me at all. The one on
>> computer A is just connected to the ethernet switch.
>>
>> Should I be somehow setting the Local Area Connection on computer B to
>> point to the (sub)net of computer A? Presumably, if I change the one
>> on computer A, it will lose sight of the Livebox?
>>
>> Gale.
>>
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
does Microsoft plan to release a update for vista readyboost Guest Windows NT/2000/XP 0 04-22-2009 06:51 AM
I have vista Home Premium, how will be the pricing for me if I plan to buy Windows 7? Guest Windows Vista 0 03-25-2009 09:10 AM
Windows 7 Free upgrade plan? What if we already have Vista installed? Do we have to b Guest Windows NT/2000/XP 0 01-18-2009 05:30 PM
Vista Power Plan problem ux380 wuruoyu Windows Vista Hardware & Devices 0 09-28-2007 06:43 PM
Vista Reload: Is my plan workable? Need feedback DavePie Windows Vista File Management 1 02-20-2007 08:37 PM