VIsta / XP connection problems

Posted: 02-22-2008, 08:02 PM
I have two machines , 1 xp and a new vista.
On the XP machine I can find folders and printers on the vista one but
though the xp machine appears on the Vista network map it does not appear in
the network folders nor can I connect to its printers.
I have installed SSLD protocol on the XP machine.
can anyone offer any advice?

thanks

VIsta / XP connection problems


Responses to "VIsta / XP connection problems"

Mick Murphy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: VIsta / XP connection problems
Posted: 02-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Make sure the workgroup names are the same; and run the XP's Home Network
file and Printer sharing Wizard, so it can share with Vista.

If you are running Norton, etc, check permissions in their firewall.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia


"Widdenham" wrote:
> I have two machines , 1 xp and a new vista.
> On the XP machine I can find folders and printers on the vista one but
> though the xp machine appears on the Vista network map it does not appear in
> the network folders nor can I connect to its printers.
> I have installed SSLD protocol on the XP machine.
> can anyone offer any advice?
>
> thanks
steve_block@bellsouth.net
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: VIsta / XP connection problems
Posted: 02-23-2008, 03:07 AM
I had a very similar problem, but my "environment" is somewhat different. I
am running VISTA Home premium (desktop) and a laptop with Windows XP Home.
The laptop is connected via a wireless network. I have TrendMicro Internet
Security running on both.

I could not share files or printers until I disabled the WINDOWS firewall on
BOTH systems (via Control Panel / Security Center). I still have the
TrendMIcro firewall running on both. Since disabling the Windows firewall on
both systems, both file and printer sharing functions are working.


"Widdenham" wrote:
> I have two machines , 1 xp and a new vista.
> On the XP machine I can find folders and printers on the vista one but
> though the xp machine appears on the Vista network map it does not appear in
> the network folders nor can I connect to its printers.
> I have installed SSLD protocol on the XP machine.
> can anyone offer any advice?
>
> thanks
Mick Murphy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: VIsta / XP connection problems
Posted: 02-24-2008, 10:37 AM
Have a read of this,
Steve.

You should not have had 2 firewalls going at the same time.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx

Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing.

Permissions/Share info is there as well.

If using Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro I.S., make sure file and printer
sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall.

1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

Network Discovery: ON (So it can see the other computers)

Network set to Private (Public is for hotspots, airports, etc)

File Sharing: ON

Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
Docs)

Password Protected: OFF (unless you want to set up identical usernames and
passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, you will be
asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer
from an XP computer.

Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer Sharing Wizard to include
Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to
adding a Vista computer to it.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia


"steve_block@bellsouth.net" wrote:
> I had a very similar problem, but my "environment" is somewhat different. I
> am running VISTA Home premium (desktop) and a laptop with Windows XP Home.
> The laptop is connected via a wireless network. I have TrendMicro Internet
> Security running on both.
>
> I could not share files or printers until I disabled the WINDOWS firewall on
> BOTH systems (via Control Panel / Security Center). I still have the
> TrendMIcro firewall running on both. Since disabling the Windows firewall on
> both systems, both file and printer sharing functions are working.
>
>
> "Widdenham" wrote:
>
> > I have two machines , 1 xp and a new vista.
> > On the XP machine I can find folders and printers on the vista one but
> > though the xp machine appears on the Vista network map it does not appear in
> > the network folders nor can I connect to its printers.
> > I have installed SSLD protocol on the XP machine.
> > can anyone offer any advice?
> >
> > thanks
PC Medic
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: VIsta / XP connection problems
Posted: 02-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Been over all that before ever reading that page.
none of the suggestions there are of any help


"Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:853996FA-6193-4E6E-AF3A-89E540465B2B@microsoft.com...
> Have a read of this,
> Steve.
>
> You should not have had 2 firewalls going at the same time.
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
>
> Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing.
>
> Permissions/Share info is there as well.
>
> If using Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro I.S., make sure file and printer
> sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall.
>
> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers
> is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:
>
> Network Discovery: ON (So it can see the other computers)
>
> Network set to Private (Public is for hotspots, airports, etc)
>
> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista's Public Folder is the same as XP's
> Shared
> Docs)
>
> Password Protected: OFF (unless you want to set up identical usernames and
> passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, you will be
> asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer
> from an XP computer.
>
> Also, run the XP's Home Network File and Printer Sharing Wizard to include
> Vista in your "New" Network, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to
> adding a Vista computer to it.
>
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>
>
> "steve_block@bellsouth.net" wrote:
>
>> I had a very similar problem, but my "environment" is somewhat different.
>> I
>> am running VISTA Home premium (desktop) and a laptop with Windows XP
>> Home.
>> The laptop is connected via a wireless network. I have TrendMicro
>> Internet
>> Security running on both.
>>
>> I could not share files or printers until I disabled the WINDOWS firewall
>> on
>> BOTH systems (via Control Panel / Security Center). I still have the
>> TrendMIcro firewall running on both. Since disabling the Windows firewall
>> on
>> both systems, both file and printer sharing functions are working.
>>
>>
>> "Widdenham" wrote:
>>
>> > I have two machines , 1 xp and a new vista.
>> > On the XP machine I can find folders and printers on the vista one but
>> > though the xp machine appears on the Vista network map it does not
>> > appear in
>> > the network folders nor can I connect to its printers.
>> > I have installed SSLD protocol on the XP machine.
>> > can anyone offer any advice?
>> >
>> > thanks

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VISTA Wireless Connection IP Resolve Problems IDBUGM Windows Vista Networking & Sharing 2 12-30-2007 04:10 AM
Problems with Vista and internet connection goran Windows Vista Networking & Sharing 4 12-21-2007 03:56 PM
2 Wire with Vista connection problems Monkeyboy Windows Vista Networking & Sharing 3 12-12-2007 05:53 AM
Vista Wireless Connection Problems Arjan321 Windows Vista Networking & Sharing 19 10-10-2007 12:03 PM
XP vs Vista wireless connection problems Kel Windows Vista Networking & Sharing 5 06-16-2007 01:32 PM