VPN trouble response

Posted: 01-20-2009, 05:13 PM
I had a problem with a VPN connection on my Vista laptop and couldn't figure it out for a while because I knew everything was set up correctly. Then I found MS KB 953795, which I've expanded on here, http://techierambles.blogspot.com/20...n-windows.html. That solved my problem. Anytime I tried to connect it would fail immediately, and it turned out it was because of some corruption in the PPTP and L2TP built-in VPN files on the laptop. The main thing to watch is where the connection attempt fails. If it happens right away, it's possible that you had the same problem I did, but there are a lot of other possibilities too such as a misconfigured connection. If the status changes to verifying username/password, then you know there is connectivity. If it fails after that point, it's most likely just an incorrect username or password. Once it gets past the verification stage you shouldn't have any other problems.

*Note, I strictly have dealt with PPTP user VPNs. I have experience with IPSec and L2TP only through IPSec tunneling for site-to-site connections, not for end users. If you're connecting to an IPSec VPN then I have no idea if anything I said is going to help. Good luck either way

EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/default.aspx?ref=ng

VPN trouble response


Responses to "VPN trouble response"

Synapse Syndrome
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: VPN trouble response
Posted: 01-20-2009, 06:18 PM
Russell Slygh <Russell Slygh> wrote:
>
> I had a problem with a VPN connection on my Vista laptop and couldn't
> figure it out for a while because I knew everything was set up correctly.
> Then I found MS KB 953795, which I've expanded on here, http://techierambl
> es.blogspot.com/2008/12/vpn-connection-problems-in-windows.html. That
> solved my problem. Anytime I tried to connect it would fail immediately,
> and it turned out it was because of some corruption in the PPTP and L2TP
> built-in VPN files on the laptop. The main thing to watch is where the
> connection attempt fails. If it happens right away, it's possible that you
> had the same problem I did, but there are a lot of other possibilities too
> such as a misconfigured connection. If the status changes to verifying
> username/password, then you know there is connectivity. If it fails after
> that point, it's most likely just an incorrect username or password. Once
> it gets past the verification stage you shouldn't have any other problems.
>
> *Note, I strictly have dealt with PPTP user VPNs. I have experience with
> IPSec and L2TP only through IPSec tunneling for site-to-site connections,
> not for end users. If you're connecting to an IPSec VPN then I have no
> idea if anything I said is going to help. Good luck either way
>

What VPN software are you using? I have never been able to get the built-in
Windows one to work. I tried some a web-based one for a while, but now I
use OpenVPN (SSL).

ss.


Sameguy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: VPN trouble response
Posted: 01-20-2009, 11:22 PM
I have Fortigate firewalls and they have built-in support for PPTP and IPSec
VPNs. It's really nice because it's not an extra licensed feature like some
firewalls I've seen. Anyway, I have the VPN connection set up on the
firewall, and then use the Windows client to configure the connection. It
works great for the PPTP. It has SSL VPN support built in too, but they need
to do some work on it. It has a tendency to randomly crash.

"Synapse Syndrome" wrote:
> Russell Slygh <Russell Slygh> wrote:
> >
> > I had a problem with a VPN connection on my Vista laptop and couldn't
> > figure it out for a while because I knew everything was set up correctly.
> > Then I found MS KB 953795, which I've expanded on here, http://techierambl
> > es.blogspot.com/2008/12/vpn-connection-problems-in-windows.html. That
> > solved my problem. Anytime I tried to connect it would fail immediately,
> > and it turned out it was because of some corruption in the PPTP and L2TP
> > built-in VPN files on the laptop. The main thing to watch is where the
> > connection attempt fails. If it happens right away, it's possible that you
> > had the same problem I did, but there are a lot of other possibilities too
> > such as a misconfigured connection. If the status changes to verifying
> > username/password, then you know there is connectivity. If it fails after
> > that point, it's most likely just an incorrect username or password. Once
> > it gets past the verification stage you shouldn't have any other problems.
> >
> > *Note, I strictly have dealt with PPTP user VPNs. I have experience with
> > IPSec and L2TP only through IPSec tunneling for site-to-site connections,
> > not for end users. If you're connecting to an IPSec VPN then I have no
> > idea if anything I said is going to help. Good luck either way
> >
>
>
> What VPN software are you using? I have never been able to get the built-in
> Windows one to work. I tried some a web-based one for a while, but now I
> use OpenVPN (SSL).
>
> ss.
>
>
>
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NO response confuseduser Windows Vista Performance & Maintenance 1 03-19-2007 05:10 PM
No Response rob p Windows XP Work Remotely 1 02-02-2005 06:13 PM
No response. Daryl Hackney Mac Office Power Point 1 10-13-2004 04:30 AM
No response Wendy Windows XP Security & Administration 2 04-24-2004 10:16 PM
Response CHARLES Windows XP New Users 1 07-12-2003 01:43 PM