Re: Where is WindowsExplorer........

Posted: 08-31-2008, 09:20 AM
SEE???????????
I can be quite nice when I want to be!!
And when I stick what is left of my
addled brain to it!!!!!!!!!!!
I didn't call anyone a CLOWN or an IDIOT
or a COCKHEAD!!!
CONGRATULATE ME!!!!!!!!!!!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld (Sunshine State) - Australia

I was UNUSUALLY nice when I wrote:
>Nothing has changed with Windows Explorer since XP.
>
>Start>Programs>Accessories>Right-click on Windows Explorer>Send To>make a
>shortcut for it on the Desktop.
>--
>Mick Murphy - Qld (Sunshine State) - Australia
>
>
>"GingerKatt" wrote:
>
>> Can someone tell me where I can find WindowsExplorer in Vista? How is it
>> accessed? Where is the icon for it as in XP? We have a new Laptop with
>> Vista Home Supreme and can't find where our personal files will be located.
>> Helpfiles have not helped. I want to create folders in WindowsExplorer to
>> save different things, plus download a lot of folders from a desktop and
>> can't find WindowsExplorer. Please help as I only have until Thursday to do
>> this.

Re: Where is WindowsExplorer........


Responses to "Re: Where is WindowsExplorer........"

Mick Murphy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Where is WindowsExplorer........
Posted: 08-31-2008, 09:50 AM
Hey Arnold, The Bee, whatever you are!
Time is just about up for you.
I can hear a door going "CLANG"

And here is your answer to a herlful poster.
You are the one who is SICK


Expand All | Page: of 35



Subject: Re: More user friendly computer. 8/30/2008 6:17 PM PST

By: The Bee In: microsoft.public.windows.vista.security


Diblo wrote:

<snipped>

sick





FromTheRafters
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Where is WindowsExplorer........
Posted: 08-31-2008, 10:09 PM
>>"GingerKatt" wrote:
>>
>>> Can someone tell me where I can find WindowsExplorer in Vista? How is
>>> it
>>> accessed? Where is the icon for it as in XP? We have a new Laptop with
>>> Vista Home Supreme and can't find where our personal files will be
>>> located.
>>> Helpfiles have not helped. I want to create folders in WindowsExplorer
>>> to
>>> save different things, plus download a lot of folders from a desktop and
>>> can't find WindowsExplorer. Please help as I only have until Thursday
>>> to do
>>> this.
It's right here
file:///%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe



FromTheRafters
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Where is WindowsExplorer........
Posted: 08-31-2008, 10:52 PM

"Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:j9okb4tv7jvmfg5hi5310gb0ih6ohq17qh@4ax.com...
> SEE???????????
> I can be quite nice when I want to be!!
> And when I stick what is left of my
> addled brain to it!!!!!!!!!!!
> I didn't call anyone a CLOWN or an IDIOT
> or a COCKHEAD!!!
> CONGRATULATE ME!!!!!!!!!!!
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld (Sunshine State) - Australia
>
> I was UNUSUALLY nice when I wrote:
>
>>Nothing has changed with Windows Explorer since XP.
>>
>>Start>Programs>Accessories>Right-click on Windows Explorer>Send To>make a
>>shortcut for it on the Desktop.
>>--
>>Mick Murphy - Qld (Sunshine State) - Australia
>>
>>
>>"GingerKatt" wrote:
>>
>>> Can someone tell me where I can find WindowsExplorer in Vista? How is
>>> it
>>> accessed? Where is the icon for it as in XP? We have a new Laptop with
>>> Vista Home Supreme and can't find where our personal files will be
>>> located.
>>> Helpfiles have not helped. I want to create folders in WindowsExplorer
>>> to
>>> save different things, plus download a lot of folders from a desktop and
>>> can't find WindowsExplorer. Please help as I only have until Thursday
>>> to do
>>> this.
%SystemRoot%/explorer.exe



GingerKatt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Where is WindowsExplorer........
Posted: 09-01-2008, 02:42 AM

"FromTheRafters" <erratic@ne.rr.com> wrote in message
news:enc48w7CJHA.4340@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>>"GingerKatt" wrote:
>>>
>>>> Can someone tell me where I can find WindowsExplorer in Vista? How is
>>>> it
>>>> accessed? Where is the icon for it as in XP? We have a new Laptop with
>>>> Vista Home Supreme and can't find where our personal files will be
>>>> located.
>>>> Helpfiles have not helped. I want to create folders in WindowsExplorer
>>>> to
>>>> save different things, plus download a lot of folders from a desktop
>>>> and
>>>> can't find WindowsExplorer. Please help as I only have until Thursday
>>>> to do
>>>> this.
>
> %SystemRoot%/explorer.exe
Rafters... THANK YOU! Thank you so much. That's what I was looking for.
:-))))) I made a shortcut on the desktop.
>
>
>
FromTheRafters
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Where is WindowsExplorer........
Posted: 09-01-2008, 03:21 AM

"GingerKatt" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:umiwrx9CJHA.3348@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>
> "FromTheRafters" <erratic@ne.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:enc48w7CJHA.4340@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>>>"GingerKatt" wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Can someone tell me where I can find WindowsExplorer in Vista? How is
>>>>> it
>>>>> accessed? Where is the icon for it as in XP? We have a new Laptop
>>>>> with
>>>>> Vista Home Supreme and can't find where our personal files will be
>>>>> located.
>>>>> Helpfiles have not helped. I want to create folders in
>>>>> WindowsExplorer to
>>>>> save different things, plus download a lot of folders from a desktop
>>>>> and
>>>>> can't find WindowsExplorer. Please help as I only have until Thursday
>>>>> to do
>>>>> this.
>>
>> %SystemRoot%/explorer.exe
>
> Rafters... THANK YOU! Thank you so much. That's what I was looking for.
> :-))))) I made a shortcut on the desktop.
If you navigate to the program the way Mick suggested, but right
click and choose properties - you can read from the "target" field.

You can open a command prompt and type "set" (without the quotes)
to find out the actual path to environment variables like %systemroot%
or %windir%.


GingerKatt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Where is WindowsExplorer........
Posted: 09-01-2008, 07:19 AM

"FromTheRafters" <erratic@ne.rr.com> wrote in message
news:OHTqeH%23CJHA.3576@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>
> "GingerKatt" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> news:umiwrx9CJHA.3348@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "FromTheRafters" <erratic@ne.rr.com> wrote in message
>> news:enc48w7CJHA.4340@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>>>>"GingerKatt" wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> Can someone tell me where I can find WindowsExplorer in Vista? How
>>>>>> is it
>>>>>> accessed? Where is the icon for it as in XP? We have a new Laptop
>>>>>> with
>>>>>> Vista Home Supreme and can't find where our personal files will be
>>>>>> located.
>>>>>> Helpfiles have not helped. I want to create folders in
>>>>>> WindowsExplorer to
>>>>>> save different things, plus download a lot of folders from a desktop
>>>>>> and
>>>>>> can't find WindowsExplorer. Please help as I only have until
>>>>>> Thursday to do
>>>>>> this.
>>>
>>> %SystemRoot%/explorer.exe
>>
>> Rafters... THANK YOU! Thank you so much. That's what I was looking for.
>> :-))))) I made a shortcut on the desktop.
>
> If you navigate to the program the way Mick suggested, but right
> click and choose properties - you can read from the "target" field.
I'm not sure what program you mean. Once in Documents, there is no
"properties" listed on right click. Just Open and Explore. Same choices of I
right click my name. What is a "target field?"
> You can open a command prompt and type "set" (without the quotes)
> to find out the actual path to environment variables like %systemroot%
> or %windir%.
I get a "Windows cannot find...." with both %windir% and set.
>
>
FromTheRafters
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Where is WindowsExplorer........
Posted: 09-01-2008, 02:06 PM

"GingerKatt" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:e%23gbdMADJHA.2476@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

[snipped some stuff]

I wrote:
>> If you navigate to the program the way Mick suggested, but right
>> click and choose properties - you can read from the "target" field.
You wrote:
> I'm not sure what program you mean. Once in Documents, there is no
> "properties" listed on right click. Just Open and Explore. Same choices of
> I right click my name. What is a "target field?"
1) Click the start orb
2) Click "All Programs"
3) Click "Accessories"
4) Place mouse pointer on "Windows Explorer" and right click.
5) Click on "Properties"

You should see a highlighted "Target" field with the path (location)
of the program.

Mine is %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe (%SystemRoot% is an environment
variable).
>> You can open a command prompt and type "set" (without the quotes)
>> to find out the actual path to environment variables like %systemroot%
>> or %windir%.
1) Start orb again (or the Windows key if you have one).
2) Click "All Programs" again.
3) Click "Accessories" again.
4) Click "Command Prompt"
5) Type "set" without the quotes and hit enter.

This should return the current set of variables defined - you can find what
is actually contained in the %SystemRoot% variable.

Mine says:

SystemRoot=C:\Windows (yours may be different).

This means the path or location is actually:

C:\Windows\explorer.exe on my machine.

Alternatively, if you wanted just to know what is in the environment
variable
%userprofile% or %windir% you could type at the command prompt:

echo %userprofile%

or

echo %windir%

....and not have to read all the other information that "set" gives you.
> I get a "Windows cannot find...." with both %windir% and set.
You are probably using the run box (Windows key + R) instead of
the command prompt.

FromTheRafters
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Where is WindowsExplorer........
Posted: 09-01-2008, 04:24 PM
"GingerKatt" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:e%23gbdMADJHA.2476@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> I get a "Windows cannot find...." with both %windir% and set.
In the "Run" box, try:

cmd /k set

or

cmd /k echo %username% %userprofile%

for the entire set or just username and userprofile environment
variable returns.


Charles W Davis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Where is WindowsExplorer........
Posted: 09-01-2008, 08:39 PM

"GingerKatt" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:e%23gbdMADJHA.2476@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>
> "FromTheRafters" <erratic@ne.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:OHTqeH%23CJHA.3576@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "GingerKatt" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> news:umiwrx9CJHA.3348@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>>
>>> "FromTheRafters" <erratic@ne.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> news:enc48w7CJHA.4340@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>>>>>"GingerKatt" wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Can someone tell me where I can find WindowsExplorer in Vista? How
>>>>>>> is it
>>>>>>> accessed? Where is the icon for it as in XP? We have a new Laptop
>>>>>>> with
>>>>>>> Vista Home Supreme and can't find where our personal files will be
>>>>>>> located.
>>>>>>> Helpfiles have not helped. I want to create folders in
>>>>>>> WindowsExplorer to
>>>>>>> save different things, plus download a lot of folders from a desktop
>>>>>>> and
>>>>>>> can't find WindowsExplorer. Please help as I only have until
>>>>>>> Thursday to do
>>>>>>> this.
>>>>
>>>> %SystemRoot%/explorer.exe
>>>
>>> Rafters... THANK YOU! Thank you so much. That's what I was looking for.
>>> :-))))) I made a shortcut on the desktop.
>>
>> If you navigate to the program the way Mick suggested, but right
>> click and choose properties - you can read from the "target" field.
>
> I'm not sure what program you mean. Once in Documents, there is no
> "properties" listed on right click. Just Open and Explore. Same choices of
> I right click my name. What is a "target field?"
>
>> You can open a command prompt and type "set" (without the quotes)
>> to find out the actual path to environment variables like %systemroot%
>> or %windir%.
>
> I get a "Windows cannot find...." with both %windir% and set.
>
>>
>>
>
I am assuming that you folks have a keyboard in front of you (maybe dumb
assumption), but what is wrong with the Windows Key + E? Far faster than
searching for any shortcut....

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you use Mouse-over to select which pane scrolls in WindowsExplorer? eganders Windows Vista Performance & Maintenance 0 08-06-2008 11:55 AM