Why does it take over 3 minutes

Posted: 08-25-2008, 09:30 PM
for my restore program to show on the screen?

The restore function works fine but its forever getting it to show ...

TIA

Why does it take over 3 minutes


Responses to "Why does it take over 3 minutes"

Paul Montgomery
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Why does it take over 3 minutes
Posted: 08-25-2008, 10:11 PM
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 17:30:00 -0400, BobJ@hotmail.com wrote:
>for my restore program to show on the screen?
>
>The restore function works fine but its forever getting it to show ...
That's a long time, but I'll bet the second time you access it (if you
haven't restarted), it's almost instantly.
LoneStar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Why does it take over 3 minutes
Posted: 08-27-2008, 11:02 PM

<BobJ@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:e096b4lglkm4ik0g44qkiiejufl5o7sf9a@4ax.com...
> for my restore program to show on the screen?
>
> The restore function works fine but its forever getting it to show ...
I've noticed this also on my Vista Home Premium system. I found that it is
directly related to the number of Restore Points you have accumulated. If
you do a "Cleanup" on your C: drive and delete all but the last Restore
Point, you'll find that System Restore comes up MUCH faster.

If your system is running well, you don't need all those restore points from
weeks, months ago. On my 250 GB hard drive, I can save up to 35 GB of drive
space (and about 2 minutes of System Restore access) if I delete those
unneeded points.



BobJ@hotmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Why does it take over 3 minutes
Posted: 08-28-2008, 06:00 PM
It did come up very fast the second time it was used. Hmmm ...

I do have a lot of restore points so next time I clean them out I will
test it.

Thanks Guys for the quick answers.
Paul Montgomery
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Why does it take over 3 minutes
Posted: 08-28-2008, 06:44 PM
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 14:00:59 -0400, BobJ@hotmail.com wrote:
>It did come up very fast the second time it was used. Hmmm ...
Told ya so! 8-D
>I do have a lot of restore points so next time I clean them out I will
>test it.
Instant with only a few.
Hank Arnold (MVP)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Why does it take over 3 minutes
Posted: 08-31-2008, 11:29 AM
Paul Montgomery wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 14:00:59 -0400, BobJ@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> It did come up very fast the second time it was used. Hmmm ...
>
> Told ya so! 8-D
>
>> I do have a lot of restore points so next time I clean them out I will
>> test it.
>
> Instant with only a few.
As a related question.... Is it possible to automate the deletion of all
except the last n restore points? I support about 125 computers at a
local Hospice and virtually all of them are shared computers that simply
load the OS and then execute a Citrix ICA client to connect to the
server. Their desktop and all apps are on the server.

Restore points almost serve no purpose. I might consider 1 or 2 as
potentially useful. If this can't be done, I'm leaning towards turning
the feature off completely.....

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Microsoft MVP
Windows Server - Directory Services
barman58
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Why does it take over 3 minutes
Posted: 08-31-2008, 12:11 PM

Hank , have a look 'here ' (http://www.winvistaclub.com/t2.html)i'm sur
that by changing the delete period for old restore points and adjustin
when they are created you can achive a working compromise

--
barman5

Regards,
*Nigel*
the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do no
understand.,- frank herbert
Paul Montgomery
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Why does it take over 3 minutes
Posted: 08-31-2008, 02:06 PM
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 07:29:37 -0400, "Hank Arnold (MVP)"
<rasilon@aol.com> wrote:

>As a related question.... Is it possible to automate the deletion of all
>except the last n restore points? I support about 125 computers at a
>local Hospice and virtually all of them are shared computers that simply
>load the OS and then execute a Citrix ICA client to connect to the
>server. Their desktop and all apps are on the server.
>
>Restore points almost serve no purpose. I might consider 1 or 2 as
>potentially useful. If this can't be done, I'm leaning towards turning
>the feature off completely.....
I'm no automate gury...

I have System Restore set to only accept manual restore points
(Windows updates still set them, as do some driver updates etc.).

Using the "vssadmin" function in the article referred by "barman" to
limit the size of the space reserved by System Restore is fine - I've
used it on this machine - but it won't be fun if you have to do it 125
times.

You might look into making the regedit changes on one machine, export
those changes to a .REG file and then install that file each machine.
Wandering
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Why does it take over 3 minutes
Posted: 08-31-2008, 04:58 PM

"Hank Arnold (MVP)" <rasilon@aol.com> wrote in message
news:Obmacz1CJHA.3668@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Paul Montgomery wrote:
>> On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 14:00:59 -0400, BobJ@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> It did come up very fast the second time it was used. Hmmm ...
>>
>> Told ya so! 8-D
>>
>>> I do have a lot of restore points so next time I clean them out I will
>>> test it.
>>
>> Instant with only a few.
>
> As a related question.... Is it possible to automate the deletion of all
> except the last n restore points? I support about 125 computers at a local
> Hospice and virtually all of them are shared computers that simply load
> the OS and then execute a Citrix ICA client to connect to the server.
> Their desktop and all apps are on the server.
>
> Restore points almost serve no purpose. I might consider 1 or 2 as
> potentially useful. If this can't be done, I'm leaning towards turning the
> feature off completely.....
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Hank Arnold
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Server - Directory Services
I don't understand why you even care? The machine will manage restore
points by itself, and if more disk space requires deletion of restore
points, it will do it. Restore points are limited to 12 -15% of the disk in
any event. So why not go on to bigger problems? Most of the folks I have
encountered worried about restore points are worried they are somehow losing
disk space. They are not. Also, in conjunction with shadow files, it offers
an extensive opportunity to recover lost files. Well whatever you do, good
luck.


DDW
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Why does it take over 3 minutes
Posted: 08-31-2008, 06:05 PM
"Wandering" <amore.dei@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>"Hank Arnold (MVP)" <rasilon@aol.com> wrote in message
>news:Obmacz1CJHA.3668@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Paul Montgomery wrote:
>>> On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 14:00:59 -0400, BobJ@hotmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>>> It did come up very fast the second time it was used. Hmmm ...
>>>
>>> Told ya so! 8-D
>>>
>>>> I do have a lot of restore points so next time I clean them out I will
>>>> test it.
>>>
>>> Instant with only a few.
>>
>> As a related question.... Is it possible to automate the deletion of all
>> except the last n restore points? I support about 125 computers at a local
>> Hospice and virtually all of them are shared computers that simply load
>> the OS and then execute a Citrix ICA client to connect to the server.
>> Their desktop and all apps are on the server.
>>
>> Restore points almost serve no purpose. I might consider 1 or 2 as
>> potentially useful. If this can't be done, I'm leaning towards turning the
>> feature off completely.....
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>> Hank Arnold
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Server - Directory Services
>
>I don't understand why you even care? The machine will manage restore
>points by itself, and if more disk space requires deletion of restore
>points, it will do it. Restore points are limited to 12 -15% of the disk in
>any event. So why not go on to bigger problems? Most of the folks I have
>encountered worried about restore points are worried they are somehow losing
>disk space. They are not.
They ARE. 12%-15% is a lot in those cases where the machine is
running out of space, especially since that will store 20 or more
points, most of which are not needed.

Setting the system so that maybe 2% of the drive is reserved (and
eventually used) for restore points can make sense.
>Also, in conjunction with shadow files, it offers
>an extensive opportunity to recover lost files. Well whatever you do, good
>luck.
>
DDW
--
Reply via this group
No email please
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opening a project in MM takes too long - 10 to 15 minutes to load. It used to take 1 to 3 minutes before. Joe Hissen Windows XP Movie Maker 3 05-27-2006 05:22 AM
More than 25 minutes to install CS ? Buko@adobeforums.com Mac Photoshop 7 02-16-2004 10:27 PM
login every 1 minutes ? Fred Windows XP Performance & Maintenance 1 01-14-2004 12:53 AM
You know every 5 minutes... Danny Bleu Windows XP Basics 3 08-14-2003 04:29 AM
130 minutes on a DVD Danny Deger Windows XP Movie Maker 7 08-10-2003 07:21 AM