Win Defender non start?

Posted: 03-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Have been running Vista Home Basic since Mar 07, with updates on download and
notify, all up to date, have just checked. Today noticed no icon for Defender
in Quick Launch Toolbar, looked to change display view, no icon to select in
list. Checked security centre, Defender not running. Used Start, All
programmes to start defender. Opened Options, checked for Admin authority and
all users, both ticked. Unticked the admin user, selected save change, then
reversed the process to add tick, and saved, Defender icon appeared, and
almost immediately started scanning system. Whats up doc?? I now suspect
Defender hasn't run for a couple of days but not sure. Also, why no
notification from Security centre? All the other ticks seem to be in place on
the options screen, so just a little concerned about my security status.
--
W4 me

Win Defender non start?


Responses to "Win Defender non start?"

hawkwind
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Win Defender non start?
Posted: 03-25-2008, 04:30 PM

Hi, i noticed my icon was not there at startup 3 days ago.
Windows security centre says that WD is running normally and the
checkbox is ticked to place WD in the notification area.
If i make a change to my system WD does not notify me.
It does start up ok however from the start/programs list and
msascui.exe loads into the task manager.

It is also set to start automatically in services.
vista home premium 32 not running live care.

Thanks


--
hawkwind
Bob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Win Defender non start?
Posted: 03-25-2008, 08:02 PM
What firewall, anti-virus application or security suite is installed? There
are some that cause problems which do not appear immediately.

-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]


[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"hawkwind" <hawkwind.36u8a1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:hawkwind.36u8a1@no-mx.forums.net...
>
> Hi, i noticed my icon was not there at startup 3 days ago.
> Windows security centre says that WD is running normally and the
> checkbox is ticked to place WD in the notification area.
> If i make a change to my system WD does not notify me.
> It does start up ok however from the start/programs list and
> msascui.exe loads into the task manager.
>
> It is also set to start automatically in services.
> vista home premium 32 not running live care.
>
> Thanks
>
>
> --
> hawkwind
hawkwind
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Win Defender non start?
Posted: 03-25-2008, 09:36 PM

Brink;661293 Wrote:
> > hawkwind;661282 Wrote:
> > Hi, i noticed my icon was not there at startup 3 days ago.
> > Windows security centre says that WD is running normally and the
> > checkbox is ticked to place WD in the notification area.
> > If i make a change to my system WD does not notify me.
> > It does start up ok however from the start/programs list and
> > msascui.exe loads into the task manager.
> >
> > It is also set to start automatically in services.
> > vista home premium 32 not running live care.
> >
> > Thanks> >
>
> Hi Hawkwind and What4,
>
> You might try the Resolution here to see if it will help you.
>
> 'Unable to enable Windows Defender application in Windows Vista'
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555962)
>
> Shawn
Hi i tried that and nothing changed as the result were consistant.
However, i have just looked at
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and windows defender
value data pointed to %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
I changed it to C:\ProgramFiles\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide And
WD is working fine now ??????


--
hawkwind
What4
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Win Defender non start?
Posted: 03-28-2008, 05:41 PM
Hi Bob,

Using Avast AV, Windows firewall, and have also installed Ad Aware, but run
this on an ad hoc user request basis. Prior to Avast, I used AVG, and prior
to that Norton. Have removed Norton using their tool from Symantec website,
and AVG also gone.
--
W4 me


"Bob" wrote:
> What firewall, anti-virus application or security suite is installed? There
> are some that cause problems which do not appear immediately.
>
> -------
> *Report back, please*
> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
>
>
> [How to ask a question]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>
> "hawkwind" <hawkwind.36u8a1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
> news:hawkwind.36u8a1@no-mx.forums.net...
> >
> > Hi, i noticed my icon was not there at startup 3 days ago.
> > Windows security centre says that WD is running normally and the
> > checkbox is ticked to place WD in the notification area.
> > If i make a change to my system WD does not notify me.
> > It does start up ok however from the start/programs list and
> > msascui.exe loads into the task manager.
> >
> > It is also set to start automatically in services.
> > vista home premium 32 not running live care.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> >
> > --
> > hawkwind
>
>
wpic
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Win Defender non start?
Posted: 05-22-2008, 11:54 AM
This is the same problem I am having - along with a lot of people in other
threads!

Someone must know the answer????

"What4" wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> Using Avast AV, Windows firewall, and have also installed Ad Aware, but run
> this on an ad hoc user request basis. Prior to Avast, I used AVG, and prior
> to that Norton. Have removed Norton using their tool from Symantec website,
> and AVG also gone.
> --
> W4 me
>
>
> "Bob" wrote:
>
> > What firewall, anti-virus application or security suite is installed? There
> > are some that cause problems which do not appear immediately.
> >
> > -------
> > *Report back, please*
> > [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
> > that others may learn and benefit from the issue]
> >
> >
> > [How to ask a question]
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
> >
> > "hawkwind" <hawkwind.36u8a1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
> > news:hawkwind.36u8a1@no-mx.forums.net...
> > >
> > > Hi, i noticed my icon was not there at startup 3 days ago.
> > > Windows security centre says that WD is running normally and the
> > > checkbox is ticked to place WD in the notification area.
> > > If i make a change to my system WD does not notify me.
> > > It does start up ok however from the start/programs list and
> > > msascui.exe loads into the task manager.
> > >
> > > It is also set to start automatically in services.
> > > vista home premium 32 not running live care.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > hawkwind
> >
> >
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows Defender will not start or run Bquinn Windows Vista Security 10 05-12-2008 12:42 PM
Defender blocked start up programs rcf Windows Vista Security 6 02-13-2008 01:40 PM
Automatic start of Windows Defender Jeff Windows Vista Security 3 12-29-2007 05:44 PM
Defender service on Vista x64 won't start Jay See Windows Vista Security 1 04-07-2007 04:02 PM
Windows Defender doesn't start at startup nLinked Windows Vista Security 0 02-24-2007 09:50 PM