Windows Defender Problem

Posted: 11-02-2007, 07:49 AM
Every time my PC boots up in VESTA I get this message from Windows Defender
that it has found this Adware virus called SLAGENT.

I then click the REMOVE ALL button - But still it reappears every time the
PC is turn on.

This does not appear when running XP ( I have a dual booting system )

My Antivirus software is AVG FULL VERSION - IT DOES NOT SHOW THIS PROBLEM!!

Is there anyway that I can get rid of this - HELP

I DO NOT WANT TO BUY ANYMORE ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE !

Windows Defender Problem


Responses to "Windows Defender Problem"

Hank Arnold (MVP)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Windows Defender Problem
Posted: 11-02-2007, 08:17 AM
swedman wrote:
> Every time my PC boots up in VESTA I get this message from Windows Defender
> that it has found this Adware virus called SLAGENT.
>
> I then click the REMOVE ALL button - But still it reappears every time the
> PC is turn on.
>
> This does not appear when running XP ( I have a dual booting system )
>
> My Antivirus software is AVG FULL VERSION - IT DOES NOT SHOW THIS PROBLEM!!
>
> Is there anyway that I can get rid of this - HELP
>
> I DO NOT WANT TO BUY ANYMORE ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE !
SLAGENT is adware, not a virus. Try this (GOOGLE is your friend)...

http://www.spyany.com/program/articl...m_Slagent.html

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Microsoft MVP
Windows Server - Directory Services
Kayman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Windows Defender Problem
Posted: 11-02-2007, 08:51 AM
On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 00:49:01 -0700, swedman wrote:
> Every time my PC boots up in VESTA I get this message from Windows Defender
> that it has found this Adware virus called SLAGENT.
>
> I then click the REMOVE ALL button - But still it reappears every time the
> PC is turn on.
>
> This does not appear when running XP ( I have a dual booting system )
>
> My Antivirus software is AVG FULL VERSION - IT DOES NOT SHOW THIS PROBLEM!!
>
> Is there anyway that I can get rid of this - HELP
>
> I DO NOT WANT TO BUY ANYMORE ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE !
You don't have to

A clarification on the terminology: the word "malware" is short for
"malicious software." Most Anti-Virus applications detect many types of
malware such as viruses, worms, trojans, etc.
What AV applications usually don't detect is "non-viral" malware, and the
term "non-viral malware" is normally used to refer to things like spyware
and adware.

The effectiveness of an individual A-S scanners can be wide-ranging and
oftentimes a collection of scanners is best. There isn't one software that
cleans and immunizes you against everything. That's why you need multiple
products to do the job i.e. overlap their coverage - one may catch what
another may miss.

In addition to Windows Defender download/install the following
applications, you'll be glad you did:

SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html

Ad-Aware - Free
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html

Spybot Search & Destroy - Free
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
Straight Talk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Windows Defender Problem
Posted: 11-02-2007, 11:02 AM
On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 04:17:54 -0400, "Hank Arnold (MVP)"
<rasilon@aol.com> wrote:
>swedman wrote:
>> Every time my PC boots up in VESTA I get this message from Windows Defender
>> that it has found this Adware virus called SLAGENT.
>>
>> I then click the REMOVE ALL button - But still it reappears every time the
>> PC is turn on.
>>
>> This does not appear when running XP ( I have a dual booting system )
>>
>> My Antivirus software is AVG FULL VERSION - IT DOES NOT SHOW THIS PROBLEM!!
>>
>> Is there anyway that I can get rid of this - HELP
>>
>> I DO NOT WANT TO BUY ANYMORE ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE !
>
>SLAGENT is adware, not a virus. Try this (GOOGLE is your friend)...
>
>http://www.spyany.com/program/articl...m_Slagent.html
How about keeping the crap off ones system in the first place. The
only approach towards malware that actually makes some sense.
Milo \(MSPSS\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Windows Defender Problem
Posted: 11-02-2007, 02:14 PM
You don't need to buy any other thing to protect your system, but sad to say
for sure you have a persistent malware in your system.

Please go to this site and see how Microsoft can help you
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/129972


"swedman" <swedman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:CE30D105-6096-479D-9CDF-A7F1E3009F62@microsoft.com...
> Every time my PC boots up in VESTA I get this message from Windows
> Defender
> that it has found this Adware virus called SLAGENT.
>
> I then click the REMOVE ALL button - But still it reappears every time the
> PC is turn on.
>
> This does not appear when running XP ( I have a dual booting system )
>
> My Antivirus software is AVG FULL VERSION - IT DOES NOT SHOW THIS
> PROBLEM!!
>
> Is there anyway that I can get rid of this - HELP
>
> I DO NOT WANT TO BUY ANYMORE ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE !
Jacee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Windows Defender Problem
Posted: 11-02-2007, 09:06 PM

Here is more information on SLAGENT:

'Adware.Slagent - Symantec.com' (http://tinyurl.com/26mer2)

Have you downloaded a program recently that may have come bundled with
this parasite?


--
Jacee

*MS-MVP Windows-Security 2006 & 2007*
Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com

Hank Arnold (MVP)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Windows Defender Problem
Posted: 11-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Straight Talk wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 04:17:54 -0400, "Hank Arnold (MVP)"
> <rasilon@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> swedman wrote:
>>> Every time my PC boots up in VESTA I get this message from Windows Defender
>>> that it has found this Adware virus called SLAGENT.
>>>
>>> I then click the REMOVE ALL button - But still it reappears every time the
>>> PC is turn on.
>>>
>>> This does not appear when running XP ( I have a dual booting system )
>>>
>>> My Antivirus software is AVG FULL VERSION - IT DOES NOT SHOW THIS PROBLEM!!
>>>
>>> Is there anyway that I can get rid of this - HELP
>>>
>>> I DO NOT WANT TO BUY ANYMORE ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE !
>> SLAGENT is adware, not a virus. Try this (GOOGLE is your friend)...
>>
>> http://www.spyany.com/program/articl...m_Slagent.html
>
> How about keeping the crap off ones system in the first place. The
> only approach towards malware that actually makes some sense.
Why don't you crawl back under your rock and leave us alone? Either make
constructive comments or shut up.........

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Microsoft MVP
Windows Server - Directory Services
Straight Talk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Windows Defender Problem
Posted: 11-04-2007, 07:49 PM
On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 05:46:35 -0500, "Hank Arnold (MVP)"
<rasilon@aol.com> wrote:
>Straight Talk wrote:
>> On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 04:17:54 -0400, "Hank Arnold (MVP)"
>> <rasilon@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>>> swedman wrote:
>>>> Every time my PC boots up in VESTA I get this message from Windows Defender
>>>> that it has found this Adware virus called SLAGENT.
>>>>
>>>> I then click the REMOVE ALL button - But still it reappears every time the
>>>> PC is turn on.
>>>>
>>>> This does not appear when running XP ( I have a dual booting system )
>>>>
>>>> My Antivirus software is AVG FULL VERSION - IT DOES NOT SHOW THIS PROBLEM!!
>>>>
>>>> Is there anyway that I can get rid of this - HELP
>>>>
>>>> I DO NOT WANT TO BUY ANYMORE ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE !
>>> SLAGENT is adware, not a virus. Try this (GOOGLE is your friend)...
>>>
>>> http://www.spyany.com/program/articl...m_Slagent.html
>>
>> How about keeping the crap off ones system in the first place. The
>> only approach towards malware that actually makes some sense.
>
>Why don't you crawl back under your rock and leave us alone? Either make
>constructive comments or shut up.........
How about YOU started making some serious comments about security? -
instead of hiding behind your crappy MVP label...
vanilla
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Windows Defender Problem
Posted: 11-07-2007, 08:36 PM
Hi, Swedman ... one other thing you can try:

Open Windows Defender from its icon in the system notification area
(systray). If the icon for Windows Defender is not there, go to the Start
Menu, hover over Programs, and when the list of programs appears, look for
Windows Defender and open it from there.

Click on Tools, then click on Software Explorer. Look through the list of
programs on the left and see if SLAgent is present. If it is, select it, and
then click on Remove or Disable in the bottom right.

If SLAgent is not present in the list, click on 'Show for all users' at the
bottom left. When prompted, enter an admin password or, if you are already
in an admin account, click 'Continue'. This will show all Startup Programs
for all users. Look through the list again. If SLAgent is still not present,
go back up to the Category dropdown box and click on the down arrow next to
Startup Programs. Choose 'Currently Running Programs'. (You will still be
seeing programs for all users.) Again, look through the list to see if
SLAgent is present. If it is, select it and then click on Remove or Disable
at the bottom right of the window.

If it is still not showing up, go back to the Category dropdown box and
select 'Network Connected Programs'. Look through the list.

Windows Defender was how I found an adware program once before. I disabled
it first. This makes it easier to remove it, if possible, especially if it
is able to block actions taken against it while it is memory resident. Once
it is disabled, try to remove it.

I have become more vigilant regarding executables classified as ADWARE once
I found out that this category of malware can include trojan keyloggers.

One more thing ... if the icon for Windows Defender is not always present in
your systray: within Windows Defender, click on Tools, then Options, then
scroll to the bottom and select the 'Always' radio button. Then, right-click
on the Start Menu, select Properties, then Notification Area, then Customize
.... look for the Windows Defender icon, select it, then choose Show in the
dropdown box.

Good luck to you ... vanilla

AFmodelboy23
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Windows defender problem
Posted: 12-19-2007, 07:07 AM
Firstly, I've read the other prompts on what to do with the common windows
defender problem. perhaps I'm not up to speed on command prompting, but I
literally write letter for letter what you guys want us to write and it keeps
saying "error syntax..etc"

In addition to the problem I'm having that everyone else is having with
defender (by the way, I've had this setup for 6 months..with no
problems...why did this problem randomly reveal itself?)...for some reason my
connection status acts like I have no connection. These two problems must be
related b/c they simultaneously occurred at the same time.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pre-installed Windows Defender Problem Dan Windows Vista Security 5 11-29-2007 07:24 AM
Error in Windows Vista Defender cant change anything in Defender! Hans Windows Vista Security 1 06-23-2007 11:10 PM
Windows Defender User Interface Problem SilveradoXD Windows Vista Performance & Maintenance 5 04-14-2007 07:03 PM
Windows Defender User Interface Problem SilveradoXD Windows Vista Security 0 04-13-2007 12:08 AM
Windows Defender will not complete scan on Windows Vista build 560 lgurleyatgmail.com Windows Vista Security 2 10-28-2006 01:00 AM