Windows Firewall problem: Filter Query

Posted: 06-21-2008, 12:31 PM

I have Windows Vista on my VAIO laptop. I use a wireless connection a
my dorm to connect to the internet

Sadly, suddenly my Internet stopped working. It seems to be connecte
but no page can be loaded. At first when I diagnosed and repaired i
said that there is no problem, but it still wouldn't load any pages. No
when I do a diagnose and repair it says something about the filter quer
policy being changed and to check my firewall setting

I tried turning off my firewall but it didn't help. What should I do
This is very annoying

Thanks in advanc

--
ZImmorta
Posted via http://www.vistaheads.co

Windows Firewall problem: Filter Query


Responses to "Windows Firewall problem: Filter Query"

Mr. Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Windows Firewall problem: Filter Query
Posted: 06-21-2008, 01:59 PM

"ZImmortal" <ZImmortal.3bcvsj@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message
news:ZImmortal.3bcvsj@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
>
> I have Windows Vista on my VAIO laptop. I use a wireless connection at
> my dorm to connect to the internet.
>
> Sadly, suddenly my Internet stopped working. It seems to be connected
> but no page can be loaded. At first when I diagnosed and repaired it
> said that there is no problem, but it still wouldn't load any pages. Now
> when I do a diagnose and repair it says something about the filter query
> policy being changed and to check my firewall setting.
>
> I tried turning off my firewall but it didn't help. What should I do?
> This is very annoying.
>
If the machine has an IP that starts with 169, then the computer has not
gotten an IP from the DHCP server on the LAN or the machine has lost it. The
IP can be zero too, no IP period. Since it's not using a DHCP IP from a
DHCP server on the LAN, then the machine has no connection to the Internet.
However, the 169 IP will allow the machine to access other machines on the
LAN, but it can't go to the Internet.

You can check for the 169 IP by going to the Command Prompt and entering
IPconfig /all. If the 169 is there or it's zero, then you can try IPconfig
/release and IPconfig /renew to see if the machine will get a valid IP from
the DHCP server.

If the it will not release, then you may need to do a TCP/IP Stack reset.
You should do it anyway just on GP.

So, use Google and find out *How to reset TCP/IP on Vista*.

You can also try flushing DNS on Vista too.


Malke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Windows Firewall problem: Filter Query
Posted: 06-21-2008, 02:02 PM
ZImmortal wrote:
>
> I have Windows Vista on my VAIO laptop. I use a wireless connection at
> my dorm to connect to the internet.
>
> Sadly, suddenly my Internet stopped working. It seems to be connected
> but no page can be loaded. At first when I diagnosed and repaired it
> said that there is no problem, but it still wouldn't load any pages. Now
> when I do a diagnose and repair it says something about the filter query
> policy being changed and to check my firewall setting.
>
> I tried turning off my firewall but it didn't help. What should I do?
You should contact your University's IT Dept. for help. None of us knows how
they set things up.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!
ZImmortal
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Windows Firewall problem: Filter Query
Posted: 06-21-2008, 06:00 PM

Let me clarify the situation
This is actually a problem a friend of mine is having
It seems like previously in order to connect to the internet in thei
dorm, they used two connections together (if that makes sense). Ther
was one connection called VPN that required a user name and password
and after entering the user name and pass, the computer would connect t
the internet with a wireless connection
Recently the system was modified and the VPN thing was removed so no
you connect only with the wireless connection and no longer need the VP
user name and password
Ever since they did this, this problem started for my friend, but n
one else seems to have the problem. Whenever she tries to connect,
window comes up as before, asking for a user name and password (which n
longer exists) and when she hits cancel or ok, it loads the page o
offline mode and the "diagnose and repair" function gives the message
*Policy provider Windows Firewall: Filter name: Query Use

*I hope this makes it more clear. Thanks :

--
ZImmorta
Posted via http://www.vistaheads.co

Mr. Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Windows Firewall problem: Filter Query
Posted: 06-21-2008, 10:14 PM

"ZImmortal" <ZImmortal.3bdb46@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message
news:ZImmortal.3bdb46@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
>
> Let me clarify the situation:
> This is actually a problem a friend of mine is having.
> It seems like previously in order to connect to the internet in their
> dorm, they used two connections together (if that makes sense). There
> was one connection called VPN that required a user name and password,
> and after entering the user name and pass, the computer would connect to
> the internet with a wireless connection.
> Recently the system was modified and the VPN thing was removed so now
> you connect only with the wireless connection and no longer need the VPN
> user name and password.
> Ever since they did this, this problem started for my friend, but no
> one else seems to have the problem. Whenever she tries to connect, a
> window comes up as before, asking for a user name and password (which no
> longer exists) and when she hits cancel or ok, it loads the page on
> offline mode and the "diagnose and repair" function gives the message:
> *Policy provider Windows Firewall: Filter name: Query User
>
> *I hope this makes it more clear. Thanks

Well, Vista has two FW administration UI screens. One looks the the XP
admin UI screen, and the other one is different and is the Advanced FW UI.

Go to the Adv FW UI which is off of Control Panel. The icon looks like a
brick wall.

It will show you all the FW rules. So look for the filter name, and you can
right-click the line and do what you need to do.

Also look for anything concerning the VPN protocols.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/v..._tunneling.htm


ZImmortal
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Windows Firewall problem: Filter Query
Posted: 06-22-2008, 10:12 AM

Mr. Arnold;879706 Wrote:
>
> Well, Vista has two FW administration UI screens. One looks the the X
> admin UI screen, and the other one is different and is the Advanced F
> UI
>
> Go to the Adv FW UI which is off of Control Panel. The icon looks lik
>
> brick wall
>
> It will show you all the FW rules. So look for the filter name, and yo
> ca
> right-click the line and do what you need to do
>
I cant find what your talking about
What's a UI anyway? User Interface? There isn't anything in my contro
panel called "Advanced Firewall". :confused

--
ZImmorta
Posted via http://www.vistaheads.co

Mr. Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: Windows Firewall problem: Filter Query
Posted: 06-22-2008, 10:59 AM

"ZImmortal" <ZImmortal.3bejk6@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message
news:ZImmortal.3bejk6@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
>
> Mr. Arnold;879706 Wrote:
>>
>> Well, Vista has two FW administration UI screens. One looks the the XP
>> admin UI screen, and the other one is different and is the Advanced FW
>> UI.
>>
>> Go to the Adv FW UI which is off of Control Panel. The icon looks like
>> a
>> brick wall.
>>
>> It will show you all the FW rules. So look for the filter name, and you
>> can
>> right-click the line and do what you need to do.
>>
> I cant find what your talking about!
> What's a UI anyway? User Interface?
That correct User Interface, screens presented to the user.
> There isn't anything in my control
> panel called "Advanced Firewall".
Sorry, I didn't tell you to go to Admin Tools.

http://www.rawcomputing.co.uk/vistasecurity2a.html

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows Firewall Problem John Windows Vista Security 7 10-22-2007 04:28 PM
SymNetDrv Firewall Filter and ASP Pages bluepete Windows Vista Security 1 05-26-2007 02:21 PM
Windows Firewall Problem MarkSJ Windows Vista Networking & Sharing 0 02-19-2007 07:34 PM
Windows Firewall Problem Prakash437 Windows XP Embedded 0 01-04-2005 04:34 PM
filter out messenger with firewall???? XDonJuan Windows XP Messenger 0 10-01-2003 09:26 PM