windows vista antivirus programs !!

Posted: 07-27-2008, 04:04 AM
Hi why does everytime i download an antivirus program like MC AFEE or NORTON
my computer starts running more slowly ? it even freezes,why? doesn't it has
to run better because it's cleaning all the bad stuff??
I even baught the NORTON 360 ALL-IN-ONE SECURITY and it made my computer run
very ,very slow !!! what program can I get that would make my PC run better
and safe ??

windows vista antivirus programs !!


Responses to "windows vista antivirus programs !!"

Carey Frisch [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: windows vista antivirus programs !!
Posted: 07-27-2008, 04:10 AM
Install a good, comprehensive, security program,
such as Windows OneCare, and you'll not have to
worry about those issues. You can try it FREE
for ninety (90) days. This is a brand new version
and is very robust! Uses very little system resources!
http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/default.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience -
Windows Vista Enthusiast

---------------------------------------------------------------

"cameccas" <cameccas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AD94F1DE-94BE-41F6-A993-F7866AF0B620@microsoft.com...
Hi why does everytime i download an antivirus program like MC AFEE or NORTON
my computer starts running more slowly ? it even freezes,why? doesn't it has
to run better because it's cleaning all the bad stuff??
I even baught the NORTON 360 ALL-IN-ONE SECURITY and it made my computer run
very ,very slow !!! what program can I get that would make my PC run better
and safe ??
Nonny
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: windows vista antivirus programs !!
Posted: 07-27-2008, 04:10 AM
On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 21:04:00 -0700, cameccas
<cameccas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>Hi why does everytime i download an antivirus program like MC AFEE or NORTON
>my computer starts running more slowly ? it even freezes,why? doesn't it has
>to run better because it's cleaning all the bad stuff??
>I even baught the NORTON 360 ALL-IN-ONE SECURITY and it made my computer run
>very ,very slow !!! what program can I get that would make my PC run better
>and safe ??
Dump ALL Norton and McAfee programs. Completely uninstall them. They
definitely slow things down. Have done so for years.

Download AVG antivirus or Avast antivirus. Both are free.
Mick Murphy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: windows vista antivirus programs !!
Posted: 07-27-2008, 04:21 AM
Norton uses at least a 1/3 of your computer's resources; that's the reason
for slowness!
Use Products listed below.

And Live One Care is just a another money-grabbing program from microsoft,
which does NOT work for complete protection.

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Avast Anti-Virus is Vista compatible (32bit and 64bit Versions), FREE,
auto-updating, and a low resources user of your computer.
And, only have 1(one) Anti-Virus installed / running on your computer at any
one time..
Conflicts may occur if you have more than 1(one).

http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html

Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6 is a very good, FREE Anti-Spyware Program.
Download, install, update, and immunize your System with it.
Then SCAN with it.
Update it, and scan your System once a fortnight.

-
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia


"cameccas" wrote:
> Hi why does everytime i download an antivirus program like MC AFEE or NORTON
> my computer starts running more slowly ? it even freezes,why? doesn't it has
> to run better because it's cleaning all the bad stuff??
> I even baught the NORTON 360 ALL-IN-ONE SECURITY and it made my computer run
> very ,very slow !!! what program can I get that would make my PC run better
> and safe ??
Carey Frisch [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: windows vista antivirus programs !!
Posted: 07-27-2008, 04:29 AM
Windows Live OneCare awards and certifications
http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-...ifications.htm

---
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience -
Windows System & Performance




"Mick Murphy" wrote:
> Norton uses at least a 1/3 of your computer's resources; that's the reason
> for slowness!
> Use Products listed below.
>
> And Live One Care is just a another money-grabbing program from microsoft,
> which does NOT work for complete protection.
>
> http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
>
> Avast Anti-Virus is Vista compatible (32bit and 64bit Versions), FREE,
> auto-updating, and a low resources user of your computer.
> And, only have 1(one) Anti-Virus installed / running on your computer at any
> one time..
> Conflicts may occur if you have more than 1(one).
>
> http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html
>
> Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6 is a very good, FREE Anti-Spyware Program.
> Download, install, update, and immunize your System with it.
> Then SCAN with it.
> Update it, and scan your System once a fortnight.
>
> -
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>
>
> "cameccas" wrote:
>
> > Hi why does everytime i download an antivirus program like MC AFEE or NORTON
> > my computer starts running more slowly ? it even freezes,why? doesn't it has
> > to run better because it's cleaning all the bad stuff??
> > I even baught the NORTON 360 ALL-IN-ONE SECURITY and it made my computer run
> > very ,very slow !!! what program can I get that would make my PC run better
> > and safe ??
Nonny
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: windows vista antivirus programs !!
Posted: 07-27-2008, 04:46 AM
On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 21:29:00 -0700, Carey Frisch [MVP]
<cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:
>Windows Live OneCare awards and certifications
>http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-...ifications.htm
Avast awards and certifications:

http://www.avast.com/eng/awards.html

>
>---
>Carey Frisch
>Microsoft MVP
>Windows Desktop Experience -
>Windows System & Performance
>
>
>
>
>"Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
>> Norton uses at least a 1/3 of your computer's resources; that's the reason
>> for slowness!
>> Use Products listed below.
>>
>> And Live One Care is just a another money-grabbing program from microsoft,
>> which does NOT work for complete protection.
>>
>> http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
>>
>> Avast Anti-Virus is Vista compatible (32bit and 64bit Versions), FREE,
>> auto-updating, and a low resources user of your computer.
>> And, only have 1(one) Anti-Virus installed / running on your computer at any
>> one time..
>> Conflicts may occur if you have more than 1(one).
>>
>> http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html
>>
>> Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6 is a very good, FREE Anti-Spyware Program.
>> Download, install, update, and immunize your System with it.
>> Then SCAN with it.
>> Update it, and scan your System once a fortnight.
>>
>> -
>> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>>
>>
>> "cameccas" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi why does everytime i download an antivirus program like MC AFEE or NORTON
>> > my computer starts running more slowly ? it even freezes,why? doesn't it has
>> > to run better because it's cleaning all the bad stuff??
>> > I even baught the NORTON 360 ALL-IN-ONE SECURITY and it made my computer run
>> > very ,very slow !!! what program can I get that would make my PC run better
>> > and safe ??
Carey Frisch [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: windows vista antivirus programs !!
Posted: 07-27-2008, 04:47 AM
With the excellent Windows OneCare package, there is
no need to install a multitude of different security software.

OneCare includes:

-- An excellent antivirus application
-- An excellent firewall application
-- An excellent antispyware application
-- Automatic system tune-ups
-- Automatic hard drive defrag
-- Checks for updates to be sure they are installed
-- Schedules automatic backups of important files
-- New version 2.5 just released - designed to work
exceptionally well with Windows Vista & XP.
-- All-in-one convenient, easy to install application


--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience -
Windows Vista Enthusiast

---------------------------------------------------------------

"Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9D07CA2D-FD3F-4684-9E38-3CCFA8B9D257@microsoft.com...
Norton uses at least a 1/3 of your computer's resources; that's the reason
for slowness!
Use Products listed below.

And Live One Care is just a another money-grabbing program from microsoft,
which does NOT work for complete protection.

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Avast Anti-Virus is Vista compatible (32bit and 64bit Versions), FREE,
auto-updating, and a low resources user of your computer.
And, only have 1(one) Anti-Virus installed / running on your computer at any
one time..
Conflicts may occur if you have more than 1(one).

http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html

Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6 is a very good, FREE Anti-Spyware Program.
Download, install, update, and immunize your System with it.
Then SCAN with it.
Update it, and scan your System once a fortnight.

-
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia


"cameccas" wrote:
> Hi why does everytime i download an antivirus program like MC AFEE or NORTON
> my computer starts running more slowly ? it even freezes,why? doesn't it has
> to run better because it's cleaning all the bad stuff??
> I even baught the NORTON 360 ALL-IN-ONE SECURITY and it made my computer run
> very ,very slow !!! what program can I get that would make my PC run better
> and safe ??
Nonny
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: windows vista antivirus programs !!
Posted: 07-27-2008, 04:50 AM
On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 23:46:56 -0500, Nonny <nonnymoose@yahoo.com>
wrote:
>On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 21:29:00 -0700, Carey Frisch [MVP]
><cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Windows Live OneCare awards and certifications
>>http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-...ifications.htm
>
>Avast awards and certifications:
>
>http://www.avast.com/eng/awards.html
AVG antivirus awards and certifications:

http://free.avg.com/ww.awards-references

>
>
>>
>>---
>>Carey Frisch
>>Microsoft MVP
>>Windows Desktop Experience -
>>Windows System & Performance
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>"Mick Murphy" wrote:
>>
>>> Norton uses at least a 1/3 of your computer's resources; that's the reason
>>> for slowness!
>>> Use Products listed below.
>>>
>>> And Live One Care is just a another money-grabbing program from microsoft,
>>> which does NOT work for complete protection.
>>>
>>> http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
>>>
>>> Avast Anti-Virus is Vista compatible (32bit and 64bit Versions), FREE,
>>> auto-updating, and a low resources user of your computer.
>>> And, only have 1(one) Anti-Virus installed / running on your computer at any
>>> one time..
>>> Conflicts may occur if you have more than 1(one).
>>>
>>> http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html
>>>
>>> Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6 is a very good, FREE Anti-Spyware Program.
>>> Download, install, update, and immunize your System with it.
>>> Then SCAN with it.
>>> Update it, and scan your System once a fortnight.
>>>
>>> -
>>> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>>>
>>>
>>> "cameccas" wrote:
>>>
>>> > Hi why does everytime i download an antivirus program like MC AFEE or NORTON
>>> > my computer starts running more slowly ? it even freezes,why? doesn't it has
>>> > to run better because it's cleaning all the bad stuff??
>>> > I even baught the NORTON 360 ALL-IN-ONE SECURITY and it made my computer run
>>> > very ,very slow !!! what program can I get that would make my PC run better
>>> > and safe ??
Mick Murphy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: windows vista antivirus programs !!
Posted: 07-27-2008, 06:07 AM
SPAM
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia


"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:












































































> With the excellent Windows OneCare package, there is
> no need to install a multitude of different security software.
>
> OneCare includes:
>
> -- An excellent antivirus application
> -- An excellent firewall application
> -- An excellent antispyware application
> -- Automatic system tune-ups
> -- Automatic hard drive defrag
> -- Checks for updates to be sure they are installed
> -- Schedules automatic backups of important files
> -- New version 2.5 just released - designed to work
> exceptionally well with Windows Vista & XP.
> -- All-in-one convenient, easy to install application
>
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience -
> Windows Vista Enthusiast
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9D07CA2D-FD3F-4684-9E38-3CCFA8B9D257@microsoft.com...
> Norton uses at least a 1/3 of your computer's resources; that's the reason
> for slowness!
> Use Products listed below.
>
> And Live One Care is just a another money-grabbing program from microsoft,
> which does NOT work for complete protection.
>
> http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
>
> Avast Anti-Virus is Vista compatible (32bit and 64bit Versions), FREE,
> auto-updating, and a low resources user of your computer.
> And, only have 1(one) Anti-Virus installed / running on your computer at any
> one time..
> Conflicts may occur if you have more than 1(one).
>
> http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html
>
> Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6 is a very good, FREE Anti-Spyware Program.
> Download, install, update, and immunize your System with it.
> Then SCAN with it.
> Update it, and scan your System once a fortnight.
>
> -
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>
>
> "cameccas" wrote:
>
> > Hi why does everytime i download an antivirus program like MC AFEE or NORTON
> > my computer starts running more slowly ? it even freezes,why? doesn't it has
> > to run better because it's cleaning all the bad stuff??
> > I even baught the NORTON 360 ALL-IN-ONE SECURITY and it made my computer run
> > very ,very slow !!! what program can I get that would make my PC run better
> > and safe ??
>
Kayman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: windows vista antivirus programs !!
Posted: 07-27-2008, 07:21 AM
On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 21:04:00 -0700, cameccas wrote:
> Hi why does everytime i download an antivirus program like MC AFEE or NORTON
> my computer starts running more slowly ? it even freezes,why? doesn't it has
> to run better because it's cleaning all the bad stuff??
> I even baught the NORTON 360 ALL-IN-ONE SECURITY and it made my computer run
> very ,very slow !!! what program can I get that would make my PC run better
> and safe ??
A number of experts agree that the retail AV version of McAfee, Norton and
Trend Micro has become cumbersome and bloated for the average user.

The major criticisms are related to stability and footprint, the most
common problem being slow-downs because of the massive system resources
hogs. There are products on the market with equal or better test results
than Symantec's products, consuming less resources at a lower price (even
free ones).

The retail version of these apps can play havoc with your pc. Uninstall it
using propriety uninstall tools:

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool and try to get a refund:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2008/2007/2006/2005/2004/2003
products and Norton 360 from your computer.

Removal tools for recent Mcafee products:-
Request assistance from here:
http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/
or download and run:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Con...ool_d5420.html
or
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocumen...=10005&type=TS
or
Download and run the McAfee Removal tool:
https://us.mcafee.com/root/MCPR2.exe
If you receive a security alert, click Yes.
Click Save to download the file to a location on your computer.
Navigate to the location where the file was saved.
Ensure all McAfee application windows are closed.
Double-click MCPR2.exe to run the removal tool.
Note: Windows Vista users must right-click and select Run as Administrator.
Restart your computer when prompted. Your McAfee products will not be fully
removed until you restart.
All McAfee products are now removed from your computer.'
or
Remove all remnants of McAfee...
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/U...val-Tool.shtml

How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee consumer products using the
McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe)
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocumen...e&type=TS&ia=1

IMPORTANT: If your McAfee products were preinstalled by the manufacturer of
your computer, please make sure to activate your McAfee subscription before
uninstalling. Reinstalling from a CD or download will only install your
McAfee consumer applications, but may not recover your paid subscription
term information.

There are many good free AV applications available, and almost everyone has
his favorite. Most of the users are emotionally attached to their av
application and will have excellent reasons for not recommending any other
brand.
The most important thing here is that all of the available choices listed
here are better in some respects than in others, and which choice is better
for *you* depends on what you do, how you work, and which features you use.
The way you use your PC is different from others.
Have a look at this:
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm
and be guided accordingly.
Good info can be obtained here:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20
and here:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

If the above is too deluging consider this:-
Real-time AV applications - for viral malware.
Do not utilize more than one (1) real-time anti-virus scanning engine!
Disable the e-mail scanning function during installation (Custom
Installation on some AV apps.) as it provides no additional protection.

Why You Don't Need Your Anti-Virus Program to Scan Your E-Mail
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm
Viral Irony: The Most Common Cause of Corruption.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/...orruption.mspx

Avira AntiVir® Personal - FREE Antivirus
http://www.free-av.com/
You may wish to consider removing the 'AntiVir Nagscreen'
http://www.elitekiller.com/files/dis...ntivir_nag.htm
or
Free antivirus - avast! 4 Home Edition
It includes ANTI-SPYWARE protection, certified by the West Coast Labs
Checkmark process, and ANTI-ROOTKIT DETECTION based on the best-in class
GMER technology.
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html
(Choose Custom Installation and under Resident
Protection, uncheck: Internet Mail and Outlook/Exchange.)
or
AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
http://free.grisoft.com/
(Choose custom install and untick the email scanner plugin.)
or
ESET NOD32 Antivirus - Not Free
http://www.eset.com/
or
Kaspersky® Anti-Virus 7.0 - Not Free
http://www.kaspersky.com/homeuser

and (optional but highly recommendable)

On-demand AV applications.
(add them to your arsenal and use them as a "second opinion" av scanner).
David H. Lipman's MULTI_AV Tool
http://www.pctipp.ch/ds/28400/28470/Multi_AV.exe
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
English:
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/...irus-for-free/
Additional Instructions:
http://pcdid.com/Multi_AV.htm
and/or
http://downloads5.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/
There's no updating involved since the scanning engine is updated
several times a day and you simply download the updated scanner whenever
you want to do a scan.

Dr.Web CureIt!® Utility - FREE
http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/

Malwarebytes© Corporation - Anti-Malware
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/program/mbam-setup.exe
Note: It is Free for private use. Just download (do NOT buy) and install.

A-S applications - for non-viral malware.
The effectiveness of an individual A-S scanners can be wide-ranging and
oftentimes a collection of scanners is best. There isn't one software that
cleans and immunizes you against everything. That's why you need multiple
products to do the job i.e. overlap their coverage - one may catch what
another may miss, (grab'em all).

SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html
and
Ad-Aware 2007 - Free
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html
and
Spybot Search & Destroy - Free
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
and
Windows Defender - Free (build-in in Vista)
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
WD monitors the start-registry and hooks registers/files to prevent spyware
and worms to install to the OS.
Interesting reading:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136195/article.html
"...Windows Defender did excel in behavior-based protection, which detects
changes to key areas of the system without having to know anything about
the actual threat."

A clarification on the terminology: the word "malware" is short for
"malicious software." Most Anti-Virus applications detect many types of
malware such as viruses, worms, trojans, etc.
What AV applications usually don't detect is "non-viral" malware, and the
term "non-viral malware" is normally used to refer to things like spyware
and adware.

Many experts suggest that Windows Live One Care is on the bottom of the
list as far as finding virus\malware\trojan.

You are not going to find anything better than the Vista FW and Vista in
itself due to the advanced features the FW and Vista are using.

Managing the Windows Vista Firewall
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../cc510323.aspx

Vista Firewall Control (Free versions available).
Protects your applications from undesirable network incoming and outgoing
activity, controls applications internet access.
http://sphinx-soft.com/Vista/
The free version may be all you need, check the comparisons under
the "Download and Buy" link.

Good luck
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista thinks multiple antivirus programs are installed Bruce Wilkinson Windows Vista Security 6 05-08-2008 10:19 PM
Vista *thinks* multiple antivirus programs are installed. Why? Refresher Windows Vista Security 16 10-03-2007 12:33 AM
Plz help me.. Vista is arguing with Spyware and Antivirus programs Jeanne C. B. Windows Vista Security 3 07-22-2007 12:07 AM
regarding antivirus in windows vista hemant Windows Vista Mail 2 04-14-2007 04:55 AM
CA EZ AntiVirus and Vista Windows Defender Lars Windows Vista 7 10-11-2006 03:03 PM