XP Install on raid

Posted: 03-09-2009, 10:23 PM

Hey everyone,

I have an XP machine that someone wants me to fix that's running RAID
with 3-500GB drives. The raid configuration was partitioned with tw
drives (C for OS, D for data). The computer was hit bad wit
spyware/malware to the point that I don't want to bother with spywar
removal and just want to do a fresh install of the OS.

This is probably a basic question but I just want to ensure of thi
prior to going on and installing but, when going through the install,
just format the C:\ partition and reinstall correct? This won't touc
the D:\ drive data and once the install is done, I should just be abl
to map their My Documents back to D:\ and be good to go again? I jus
want to make sure of this as I don't want them to lose their data on D


Thanks in advance.
-J


XP Install on raid


Responses to "XP Install on raid"

peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: XP Install on raid
Posted: 03-10-2009, 02:10 AM
Yes it would be a normal C drive format and install....providing none of
that spyware/malware has
infected the D partition. Where was his IE Temp file...where was his
MyDocuments folder??
where they any infections in there???

have fun
peter

--
If you find a posting or message from me offensive,inappropriate
or disruptive,please ignore it.
If you dont know how to ignore a posting complain
to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate :-)

"Jimmyjamz" <Jimmyjamz.3ot16q@no.email.invalid> wrote in message
news:Jimmyjamz.3ot16q@no.email.invalid...
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> I have an XP machine that someone wants me to fix that's running RAID 5
> with 3-500GB drives. The raid configuration was partitioned with two
> drives (C for OS, D for data). The computer was hit bad with
> spyware/malware to the point that I don't want to bother with spyware
> removal and just want to do a fresh install of the OS.
>
> This is probably a basic question but I just want to ensure of this
> prior to going on and installing but, when going through the install, I
> just format the C:\ partition and reinstall correct? This won't touch
> the D:\ drive data and once the install is done, I should just be able
> to map their My Documents back to D:\ and be good to go again? I just
> want to make sure of this as I don't want them to lose their data on D.
>
>
> Thanks in advance.
> -JJ
>
>
Andrew E.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: XP Install on raid
Posted: 03-11-2009, 02:36 PM
If you were running RAID,such options wouldnt exist with multiple partitions
& multiple hd letters as you described..You might think that RAID is set-up
but it isnt with youre info,read the owners manual...

"Jimmyjamz" wrote:
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> I have an XP machine that someone wants me to fix that's running RAID 5
> with 3-500GB drives. The raid configuration was partitioned with two
> drives (C for OS, D for data). The computer was hit bad with
> spyware/malware to the point that I don't want to bother with spyware
> removal and just want to do a fresh install of the OS.
>
> This is probably a basic question but I just want to ensure of this
> prior to going on and installing but, when going through the install, I
> just format the C:\ partition and reinstall correct? This won't touch
> the D:\ drive data and once the install is done, I should just be able
> to map their My Documents back to D:\ and be good to go again? I just
> want to make sure of this as I don't want them to lose their data on D.
>
>
> Thanks in advance.
> -JJ
>
>
>
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: XP Install on raid
Posted: 03-12-2009, 12:47 PM

"Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote in message
news:6CFBFF4B-8A00-4E7E-B88A-550073C9DAAF@microsoft.com...
>
> "Jimmyjamz" wrote:
>
>> Hey everyone,
>>
>> I have an XP machine that someone wants me to fix that's running
>> RAID 5
>> with 3-500GB drives. The raid configuration was partitioned with
>> two
>> drives (C for OS, D for data). The computer was hit bad with
>> spyware/malware to the point that I don't want to bother with
>> spyware
>> removal and just want to do a fresh install of the OS.
>>
>> This is probably a basic question but I just want to ensure of this
>> prior to going on and installing but, when going through the
>> install, I
>> just format the C:\ partition and reinstall correct? This won't
>> touch
>> the D:\ drive data and once the install is done, I should just be
>> able
>> to map their My Documents back to D:\ and be good to go again? I
>> just
>> want to make sure of this as I don't want them to lose their data
>> on D.
>>
>>
> If you were running RAID,such options wouldnt exist with multiple
> partitions
> & multiple hd letters as you described..You might think that RAID is
> set-up
> but it isnt with youre info,read the owners manual...
There's nothing to prevent you from partitioning a RAID volume into
multiple partitions and therefore multiple drive letters. Since the
OP indicated a 3-drive setup, if the OP had mentioned 3 drive letters,
then it might be suspicious, but that isn't the case. Looks like you
should read the owners manual yourself.

--
Zaphod

Arthur: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's
something big and sinister going on in the world.
Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the
universe gets that.


Peter Foldes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: XP Install on raid
Posted: 03-13-2009, 02:19 AM
Zaphod

Andrew E is the resident idiot who always gives bad advice and people should ignore
him. His advices on these and other newsgroups can cause serious issues . He has
been told to stay away numerous times by many knowledgeable people. Glad you got to
know him

--
Peter

Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

"Zaphod Beeblebrox" <Zaphod.Arisztid.Beeblebrox@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:gpb093$ti5$1@news.motzarella.org...
>
> "Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:6CFBFF4B-8A00-4E7E-B88A-550073C9DAAF@microsoft.com...
>>
>> "Jimmyjamz" wrote:
>>
>>> Hey everyone,
>>>
>>> I have an XP machine that someone wants me to fix that's running RAID 5
>>> with 3-500GB drives. The raid configuration was partitioned with two
>>> drives (C for OS, D for data). The computer was hit bad with
>>> spyware/malware to the point that I don't want to bother with spyware
>>> removal and just want to do a fresh install of the OS.
>>>
>>> This is probably a basic question but I just want to ensure of this
>>> prior to going on and installing but, when going through the install, I
>>> just format the C:\ partition and reinstall correct? This won't touch
>>> the D:\ drive data and once the install is done, I should just be able
>>> to map their My Documents back to D:\ and be good to go again? I just
>>> want to make sure of this as I don't want them to lose their data on D.
>>>
>>>
>> If you were running RAID,such options wouldnt exist with multiple partitions
>> & multiple hd letters as you described..You might think that RAID is set-up
>> but it isnt with youre info,read the owners manual...
>
> There's nothing to prevent you from partitioning a RAID volume into multiple
> partitions and therefore multiple drive letters. Since the OP indicated a 3-drive
> setup, if the OP had mentioned 3 drive letters, then it might be suspicious, but
> that isn't the case. Looks like you should read the owners manual yourself.
>
> --
> Zaphod
>
> Arthur: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and
> sinister going on in the world.
> Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe
> gets that.
>
>
Jimmyjamz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: XP Install on raid
Posted: 03-18-2009, 10:14 PM

Haha well it's been a pleasure to have met the resident idiot. But a
Peter had said, it showed up as two different drives. I had just throw
in the Windows XP disc to see what it would come with as the driv
selection. It indeed had the two drives so it was just a straigh
format on the OS partition. The IE temp folder was on the C:\ drive an
after the format and scanning both drives, it came up clean so they'r
in good shape.
Thanks again

Peter Foldes;961345 Wrote:
> Zaphod
>
> Andrew E is the resident idiot who always gives bad advice and peopl
> should ignore
> him. His advices on these and other newsgroups can cause serious issue
> . He has
> been told to stay away numerous times by many knowledgeable people
> Glad you got to
> know him
>
> --
> Peter
>
> Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
> Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.
>
> "Zaphod Beeblebrox" <Zaphod.Arisztid.Beeblebrox@gmail.com> wrote i
> message
> news:gpb093$ti5$1@news.motzarella.org...
> >
> > "Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote in message
> > news:6CFBFF4B-8A00-4E7E-B88A-550073C9DAAF@microsoft.com...
> >>
> >> "Jimmyjamz" wrote:
> >>
> >>> Hey everyone,
> >>>
> >>> I have an XP machine that someone wants me to fix that's runnin
> RAID 5
> >>> with 3-500GB drives. The raid configuration was partitioned wit
> two
> >>> drives (C for OS, D for data). The computer was hit bad with
> >>> spyware/malware to the point that I don't want to bother wit
> spyware
> >>> removal and just want to do a fresh install of the OS.
> >>>
> >>> This is probably a basic question but I just want to ensure o
> this
> >>> prior to going on and installing but, when going through th
> install, I
> >>> just format the C:\ partition and reinstall correct? This won'
> touch
> >>> the D:\ drive data and once the install is done, I should just b
> able
> >>> to map their My Documents back to D:\ and be good to go again?
> just
> >>> want to make sure of this as I don't want them to lose their dat
> on D.
> >>>
> >>>
> >> If you were running RAID,such options wouldnt exist with multipl
> partitions
> >> & multiple hd letters as you described..You might think that RAID i
> set-up
> >> but it isnt with youre info,read the owners manual...
> >
> > There's nothing to prevent you from partitioning a RAID volume int
> multiple
> > partitions and therefore multiple drive letters. Since the O
> indicated a 3-drive
> > setup, if the OP had mentioned 3 drive letters, then it might b
> suspicious, but
> > that isn't the case. Looks like you should read the owners manua
> yourself.
> >
> > --
> > Zaphod
> >
> > Arthur: All my life I've had this strange feeling that there'
> something big and
> > sinister going on in the world.
> > Slartibartfast: No, that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in th
> universe
> > gets that.
> >
>

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
f6 install raid on Xp embedded Gianluca Windows XP Embedded 1 10-01-2007 03:52 PM
nVidia RAID install Jon Davis Windows Vista 4 09-07-2006 08:24 AM
How to install XP onto RAID partition Kendall Windows XP Setup 2 10-10-2004 03:49 AM
Install SATA RAID on XP Jon Windows XP Setup 0 12-26-2003 06:33 PM
XP Install not seeing Raid 0 array Jim Mc Windows XP Hardware 1 10-28-2003 01:59 AM