You Tube videos not playing w Parental Control

Posted: 02-23-2008, 07:47 PM
Hello. Just got new computer with Vista Home Premium. Have set parental
controls to medium for my son. I am the administrator. If I go on "You
Tube" I can see the videos and hear the music = it all works fine. However,
if my son goes on you Tube he cannot see the videos/hear the music even
though I have put "You Tube" in as an allowed website in Parental Controls.
All he gets is the little circle (or timer) as though it is looking for the
relevant video but, even if we wait ages, the video never appears. I have
tried unchecking the "enable hardware acceleration" as per another post on
this site but that made no difference.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Many thanks
--
SAM

You Tube videos not playing w Parental Control


Responses to "You Tube videos not playing w Parental Control"

Joe T
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: You Tube videos not playing w Parental Control
Posted: 03-02-2008, 08:06 AM
Sam - Did you have any luck with this issue? I have the same issue and I can
not find a fix for it. Thanks.

"samnewbie" wrote:
> Hello. Just got new computer with Vista Home Premium. Have set parental
> controls to medium for my son. I am the administrator. If I go on "You
> Tube" I can see the videos and hear the music = it all works fine. However,
> if my son goes on you Tube he cannot see the videos/hear the music even
> though I have put "You Tube" in as an allowed website in Parental Controls.
> All he gets is the little circle (or timer) as though it is looking for the
> relevant video but, even if we wait ages, the video never appears. I have
> tried unchecking the "enable hardware acceleration" as per another post on
> this site but that made no difference.
>
> I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
>
> Many thanks
> --
> SAM
samnewbie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: You Tube videos not playing w Parental Control
Posted: 03-02-2008, 07:59 PM
Hello, no, no luck with this issue. No-one has replied. It's obviously a
problem which isnt just confined to our computer though!

Any help from anyone else would be much appreciated.
--
SAM


"Joe T" wrote:
> Sam - Did you have any luck with this issue? I have the same issue and I can
> not find a fix for it. Thanks.
>
> "samnewbie" wrote:
>
> > Hello. Just got new computer with Vista Home Premium. Have set parental
> > controls to medium for my son. I am the administrator. If I go on "You
> > Tube" I can see the videos and hear the music = it all works fine. However,
> > if my son goes on you Tube he cannot see the videos/hear the music even
> > though I have put "You Tube" in as an allowed website in Parental Controls.
> > All he gets is the little circle (or timer) as though it is looking for the
> > relevant video but, even if we wait ages, the video never appears. I have
> > tried unchecking the "enable hardware acceleration" as per another post on
> > this site but that made no difference.
> >
> > I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
> >
> > Many thanks
> > --
> > SAM
Rob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
RE: You Tube videos not playing w Parental Control
Posted: 03-03-2008, 01:31 AM
I am having the same problem so anyone with a solution to this issue would be
a great help.

"samnewbie" wrote:
> Hello, no, no luck with this issue. No-one has replied. It's obviously a
> problem which isnt just confined to our computer though!
>
> Any help from anyone else would be much appreciated.
> --
> SAM
>
>
> "Joe T" wrote:
>
> > Sam - Did you have any luck with this issue? I have the same issue and I can
> > not find a fix for it. Thanks.
> >
> > "samnewbie" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello. Just got new computer with Vista Home Premium. Have set parental
> > > controls to medium for my son. I am the administrator. If I go on "You
> > > Tube" I can see the videos and hear the music = it all works fine. However,
> > > if my son goes on you Tube he cannot see the videos/hear the music even
> > > though I have put "You Tube" in as an allowed website in Parental Controls.
> > > All he gets is the little circle (or timer) as though it is looking for the
> > > relevant video but, even if we wait ages, the video never appears. I have
> > > tried unchecking the "enable hardware acceleration" as per another post on
> > > this site but that made no difference.
> > >
> > > I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
> > >
> > > Many thanks
> > > --
> > > SAM
FromTheRafters
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: You Tube videos not playing w Parental Control
Posted: 03-04-2008, 01:49 AM
Perhaps your 'medium' setting applied to his account, filters according to
content.
You may be confusing the block site feature with the filter content feature
of
parental control.

The help file may actually help here.

"Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:229E6D8D-138D-4784-9A60-82D3EE56AD29@microsoft.com...
>I am having the same problem so anyone with a solution to this issue would
>be
> a great help.
>
> "samnewbie" wrote:
>
>> Hello, no, no luck with this issue. No-one has replied. It's obviously
>> a
>> problem which isnt just confined to our computer though!
>>
>> Any help from anyone else would be much appreciated.
>> --
>> SAM
>>
>>
>> "Joe T" wrote:
>>
>> > Sam - Did you have any luck with this issue? I have the same issue and
>> > I can
>> > not find a fix for it. Thanks.
>> >
>> > "samnewbie" wrote:
>> >
>> > > Hello. Just got new computer with Vista Home Premium. Have set
>> > > parental
>> > > controls to medium for my son. I am the administrator. If I go on
>> > > "You
>> > > Tube" I can see the videos and hear the music = it all works fine.
>> > > However,
>> > > if my son goes on you Tube he cannot see the videos/hear the music
>> > > even
>> > > though I have put "You Tube" in as an allowed website in Parental
>> > > Controls.
>> > > All he gets is the little circle (or timer) as though it is looking
>> > > for the
>> > > relevant video but, even if we wait ages, the video never appears.
>> > > I have
>> > > tried unchecking the "enable hardware acceleration" as per another
>> > > post on
>> > > this site but that made no difference.
>> > >
>> > > I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
>> > >
>> > > Many thanks
>> > > --
>> > > SAM
samnewbie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: You Tube videos not playing w Parental Control
Posted: 03-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Hello. Thanks for help. I'm not sure what you mean when you say that perhaps
the medium setting will filter according to content - as far as I am aware
that is precisely what it is supposed to do! However, that doesnt explain
why it wont show videos of the classical singer Andrea Boccelli or eg a
modern pop group such as the Hoosiers. I haven't put a block on the total
website - in fact I have "allowed" You Tube and chosen a medium setting
(which I think equates to a 16+). Any further help gratefully received -
it's driving him, and me, mad and I'm inclined to take off all parental
control so he can listen to music. However, he is only 12 and I'm aware
there is a lot of stuff on You Tube which I dont want him to see.

many thanks.
--
SAM


"FromTheRafters" wrote:
> Perhaps your 'medium' setting applied to his account, filters according to
> content.
> You may be confusing the block site feature with the filter content feature
> of
> parental control.
>
> The help file may actually help here.
>
> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:229E6D8D-138D-4784-9A60-82D3EE56AD29@microsoft.com...
> >I am having the same problem so anyone with a solution to this issue would
> >be
> > a great help.
> >
> > "samnewbie" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello, no, no luck with this issue. No-one has replied. It's obviously
> >> a
> >> problem which isnt just confined to our computer though!
> >>
> >> Any help from anyone else would be much appreciated.
> >> --
> >> SAM
> >>
> >>
> >> "Joe T" wrote:
> >>
> >> > Sam - Did you have any luck with this issue? I have the same issue and
> >> > I can
> >> > not find a fix for it. Thanks.
> >> >
> >> > "samnewbie" wrote:
> >> >
> >> > > Hello. Just got new computer with Vista Home Premium. Have set
> >> > > parental
> >> > > controls to medium for my son. I am the administrator. If I go on
> >> > > "You
> >> > > Tube" I can see the videos and hear the music = it all works fine.
> >> > > However,
> >> > > if my son goes on you Tube he cannot see the videos/hear the music
> >> > > even
> >> > > though I have put "You Tube" in as an allowed website in Parental
> >> > > Controls.
> >> > > All he gets is the little circle (or timer) as though it is looking
> >> > > for the
> >> > > relevant video but, even if we wait ages, the video never appears.
> >> > > I have
> >> > > tried unchecking the "enable hardware acceleration" as per another
> >> > > post on
> >> > > this site but that made no difference.
> >> > >
> >> > > I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
> >> > >
> >> > > Many thanks
> >> > > --
> >> > > SAM
>
>
tmarr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
Re: You Tube videos not playing w Parental Control
Posted: 07-19-2008, 04:36 PM

Youtube partial solution for windows vista parental controls

Crude but effective partial fix. Look at the activity report and th
list of recently blocked sites after trying to watch youtube videos o
the account with parental controls. You will see a bunch of similarl
named websites, which are the actual sites that host the videos o
servers. Many have names like v_.googlevideo.com or s2.ytimg.com.
put a bunch of these and some variations into the allowed list (i.e.
a.ytimg.com, b.ytimg.com, etc.) You may be able to use wildcards t
speed this process, but I couldn't find anything that says you can.
Anyhow, once you've taken the 15 minutes or so to do this, go back int
the account with parental controls and access youtube. Start clickin
on some videos. Some will play right away. Others will not. But i
you keep reloading the videos that don't load at first, within a fe
tries it seems like it will eventually hit one of the websites tha
you've included in your allowed list. May not give full functionalit
to the site, but a heck of a lot less frustrating than where I wa
before I tried this

--
tmarr
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Parental Control Windows Vista Administration 1 03-25-2008 11:04 AM
parental control muddy Windows Vista Security 3 10-24-2007 09:27 PM
Parental Control for AIM WB8IMY Windows Vista Security 2 09-28-2007 03:28 PM
Parental Control gone mad! Amee Windows Vista Security 1 07-02-2007 01:57 AM
Parental Control PIN Chad Windows Vista Administration 0 05-03-2007 05:14 PM